1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Helllllppp!!!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by akanksha30, May 26, 2014.

1. akanksha30

akanksha30 Senior IL'ite

Dear frends,

Background:
    ========

I had a love cum arranged marriage 5 years ago and have a lovely 4 yr old dd. I left my high paying job after dd was born. I sold my old flat and put the money in down payment and bought a new duplex for which my dh is paying emis. I stay with dh and dd. MIL, FIL(working) and grand MIL stay in a different state. BIL and co-sis (pregnant) stay in a different city.

MIL is typical, cunning, irritating to the core, has problems with my looks, dresses, weight, complexion, child caring methods, cooking methods, house keeping methods ....so on and on. I keep ignoring all her comments thinking its just a couple of weeks/months that I need to bear her. Shes very insecure about her son and wants DIL to dance to her tunes. Shes very proud to be a son's mother and wants DIL and her family to bow down to her. MIL talks very bad about my pregnant co-sis to me however I don't give any importance to her talks...I just say "ok".."is it"..I need to call MIL everyday irrespective of whether I am busy, sick, outstation. She wants DIL to ring her phone once in a day otherwise she calls DH and complaints about me. She wants DILs to give her all the importance, please her, make her happy for unknown reasons. DILs should not browse internet, watch TV, wear modern clothes, talk on phone, relax when shes around. She wants DILs should also call her mother regularly to check on her mother's health.

On the other side, I have widowed sick mother living in a different city and married sister in a different city. My mother keeps coming to my place and spends around 3-4 months a year at my place and equally at my sis.

DH sigh!!!! Really don't know what kind of person he is. Sometimes he is very good with me and sometimes a typical mumma's boy. DH was abusive a couple of times and I also gave him equally hard times, so he got the taste of his own medicine and behaves properly with me now. Dh never talks much to my mother when shes at my place and never calls her when shes away. Otherwise he is a responsible husband and father.

I had many problems with DH and MIL which I kept ignoring all these years for my own sanity and for my DD and somehow survived 5 yrs of marriage as a stay-at-home-mother.

Now, the problem:
    ============

FIL is getting retired next year and DH wants them to come and stay with us forever ( MIL, FIL and grand MIL). We are not ourselves able to bear our expenses after I left the job. Even though we regularly send money to DH family. DH wants a big Suraj Barjatya filmy family. He has no idea how will he fulfill everyone's expenses ( I suspect he will force me to resume work before he brings ILs). I don't know how my mother would be able to stay at my place ( shes old and sick) as ILs have strict rules that they cant co-exist with samdhis (DILs parents).

I have told DH clearly that I want us to settle down for the next 5-7 yrs so we pay off the personal loans, will have second baby and then he can bring his parents. He is saying its not in his hands to ask them to come later. If they want they will come. Dh is saying he cannot ask them to not to come!! BIL and co-sis are not seen in this scenario anywhere. They are lil babies enjoying their lives.

FIL, MIL are healthy, young ppl , Grand MIL is 75 but can do all the house chores on her own. They have a very high standard of living, have maid even for cooking . All the relatives and family frends stay in the home town however I really don't understand what is the hurry to come.

In this matter, I really don't understand whether the problem is my DH or my ILs . Dh is saying we will rent a nearby apartment for your mother so that she can stay here....????? Also, when ILs come, expenses will be managed , don't worry. He doesn't eat food, bother about my tears, happiness, whenever we discuss(fight) on this topic.

Frends, I really try hard to maintain my sanity however I really don't understand whos at fault here and what is the solution of this problem. Please help me out of this situation. I cant live all my life serving the people who just want me to serve them for their security and to satisfy their ego by giving up my own happiness.

2. shobhamumbaikar

shobhamumbaikar Gold IL'ite

Hugs to you dear. I understand your situations so much.

in this case neither your dh nor your ils are at fault dear. The fault lies with the social system that mandates that a grown up son and his old parents are a 'family' (which is not valid for a girl however) and so should 'naturally' be 'together'. No matter how a son's parents treat their son's life-partner, the most important person in his life or people she is close to, like her own parents, they never lose their right to be 'family'. its not that your pils need or do not need to be with you. Its just that they have the right to be with their son, that is why they are coming. Mine did the same things after ill treating me and my mom so very badly, the simply walked into my house as if i do not exist and it is their son's house.

PILs simply take advantage of this system and dhs are so conditioned with this theory from childhood that they cannot see beyond it. My dh and i think your dh as well do understand our situation but at the end of things they ask themselves' 'what about my responsibilities as a son? They are my parents'. you can blame our entire system with tv serials, movies and what not as responsible for this kind of brainwashing.

And the dil is stuck at the blind end of these factors.and is left to live her entire life either compromising on her happiness and eventually even sanity and end up becming a lady as crooked and manipulative and revengeful as her own mil by the time she becomes an mil herself and the cycle continues; or become more and more vengeful with time as the pils age and literally torture the pils when they are old and helpless ( i have seen such dils as well). in both cases the outcome is never happy. No matter how hard we try we fall into one or the other trap set for us by our society.

so if they are coming you really cannot do much. let them come and try to treat them as furniture. This is what i try to do in order to avoid falling a prey in either of the trap.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    5 people like this.
  3. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

If your husband has decided that his parents will stay with you and as you are saying all your arguments trying to tell him the cons of this situation has fallen on deaf ears.
    But I have seen many families where IL stay with their son and the DIL mom lives in a rented place nearby.
    No one is at fault in this situation both your husband and you want to take care of your parents in their old age.

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP
    If they have strict rules regarding the dils parents...you can too have strict rules regarding staying with them.BAh!!! the double standards.

Tell him your mom is single and does not need a flat to live in ,so she can live with you both while your in laws being a couple should stay in a flat near by.

13 people like this.
  5. akanksha30

akanksha30 Senior IL'ite

shobhamumbaikar,han412,

Thanks!!

MIL all her life had a nuclear family. Grand MIL shifted with MIL,FIL just before our marriage. MIL enjoyed her life during her youth and now also wants to enjoy by reversing the trend. Also, I don't understand why my BIL and co-sis should not co-own the responsibilities. DH says his parents are not balls to move from here to there.

6. akanksha30

akanksha30 Senior IL'ite

yellowmango, ur words give me some courage!!

7. shobhamumbaikar

shobhamumbaikar Gold IL'ite

really appreciate your logical thinking and pointed arguments...hope somebody shows these statements to these craps pils...

4 people like this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP...you can also tell him that your mom stays for 4-5 months so it is pointless and inconvenient taking a flat for her for short duration.Inlaws will be staying permanently...so it is more convenient that they live in the rented flat.

5 people like this.
  9. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

OP I can understand your situation but I can give some trite remarks but the bottom line is will they work given the situation and your husbands attitude.
    Practical suggestions.

10. akanksha30

akanksha30 Senior IL'ite

han412, please pour in your ideas. I can at least try to implement them.