1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SIL, BIL issue

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by newlymarried007, May 8, 2014.

1. newlymarried007

newlymarried007 New IL'ite

Am newly married and I am completely new to this family politics and Joint family system.

My husband is only son, and he one sister. SIL is married with 2 grown up kids, BIL got govt.Job. SIL has 4 SIL's..so all the time she will be blabbering that she got 4 of them and how I am having only one. what should I do for this..:confused2:

My SIL's husband i.e my BIL thinks, that's her parents (my MIL, FIL) should take care of her daughter's family even after they are married for 15 years. Now my BIL wants the share in property when my husband sells their land which I feel wierd because they have given enough cash and Jewellary to my SIL, when she got married 15 yrs back.

Am newly married and I am completely new to this family politics and Joint family system.

Please give me some past threads where I can get knowledge and know to manage all of these things tacticfully without me getting emotional or angry.

2. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Your sil has equal share in her parental property. Your in laws are her parents as well. It is their wish if they want to give equal share to their daughter. Anyhow legally now she has the right to ask for her share. Don't get involved in this matter unless your hubby's share is also being given to her.

5 people like this.
  3. newlymarried007

I should have mentioned in the beginning, thats when my SIL got married..the cash my inlaws gave is equal to half of the property share..so that's the reason I am bothered now

4. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

The thing is that the property belongs to your in laws. It is their wish if they want to give their daughter her share. Work hard and build your fortune so that you never have to depend on inheritance. That is the rule I follow in my life...if I get something from my parents and in laws it will be a bonus. If I don't get anything it will not impact me financially.

15 people like this.
  5. newlymarried007

The property is not earned by my FIL, its from his dad and in their family its always given to sons and daughters are married well off, giving enough cash n jewellary in hand

6. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Dear you can not do much about it. As you are newly married just stay out of it and keep your cool. Leave this matter to your in laws.

1 person likes this.
  7. swaram2576

swaram2576 Bronze IL'ite

Very true what others said, since you are newly married , do not ruin your happiness and peace of mind by thinking or involving in these matters, there are many houses in our country where the husband would have earned all the money and bought / built the property but it will not even be even in his name, it will be in his brother's or mother's name and sil will receive cash just for visiting their parents. What would you say for that? So just relax, just as parvathi1980 said "work hard, and build your fortune"

2 people like this.
  8. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Simply ignore comments you can do nothing about.
    According to law a girl has a right to an equal share to ancestral property your BIL knows this and that is why he is making the claim. As of now both sons and daughters have equal share in property, dowry, cash etc are obsolete.
    You are newly married, best stay out of this and enjoy life.
    Sorry I cant help you about family politics, please read past threads.
    Cheer up! You will do fine. All the best.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Newlymarried 007,

I totally agree with all other IL's replies and views on your posts.

Even they spend lavishly for your SIL's wedding she has every rights to ask the share and your inlaws have every rights to give..so no point in comparison and calculation here...

Moreover a thread which was started by Kamalji throws some light on your views, today i just replied for that....if you get time pls go through...
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...54242-it-pays-to-nice-elders.html#post3251387

1 person likes this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Times are changing and thankfully girls are getting their share in property.It is ancestral property...it is her right. Maybe as time passes...parents will not give dowry too. Let it be......she has 4 sils....your are lucky.Don't think about denying her the property.What her parents gave her at the time of marriage was their wish.

Besides parents do spend a lot of money on son's wedding too and most people do give jewelery to dils too.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    3 people like this.