1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

one more month of happiness and freedom

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by pkm, Apr 22, 2014.

1. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

My pil are visiting here for this summer and will be here for long 5 months. Some of you know my relation with in laws. For the past couple of months, I stopped even saying a "hello" during the weekly skype calls. first let me update you with the recent relationship with pil.

I used to sit for all weekly skype calls, the call goes for around 1 hour, all this one hour I have sit like a dumb gal. so I stopped sitting there and kept myself busy cooking. Dh was ok with this set up since he too felt that they don't treat me good.

I feel like a nightmare thinking of spending the whole summer with them. it is really going to be a trouble when dh goes to work. There are hundreds and thousands of reasons why I don't want to speak to them- every time they open the mouth its criticism, dominating, treating me like a maid, treating me like a fool, controlling every action of mine, finding faults with me, advising on even how to keep myself clean :bonk(I don't want to go in detail here), boasting sil, telling me to learn from her................ etcccccc......

I don't have any indians living near to our place, nor the library is at walking distance,all I can is go for a walk for an hour in the evening. so going out is not an option. (I am not interested also)

soon I will be active here to vent out... some episodes have already started

episode 1:

MYTHS:

mil (aged 60) is a house wife and she wears shorts and tees at home.
    yesterday, she was complaining to my dh, why pkm(mid 20's) is not wearing saree at home, being in US doesn't mean she don't have to wear a saree-its our culture.

FACTS:
    Though I wear shorts at home, I do wear saree during get together, temple visit (once in a month), or during festivals. of course I love wearing them but not daily.
    MIL bought a wrangler jean for her last week and said "since I am coming to US, I wanted look good and modern." SIL (mid 30's) even don't know to drape a saree.

2. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Hi PKM,

For me it's 2 more weeks of freedom and 6 months of torture. I guess we will both be meeting here often...
    my pils made a big scene when i wore 3/4 pants on an unplanned visit to their relatives during our summer trip. they said that the host family man was so shocked to see a woman in 3/4 (he has been in US for more than a decade). but she bought she can wear nighties infront of other men.:idontgetit:

3. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I can think of only one word: HYPOCRITES:rant

4. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

hi justlikeyou,

nice to meet you. i really feel light when I share my problems here. IMO, we can wear a saree in two ways- like how some actress vulgarly drape it or wearing it the traditional way. it all depends on how you wear it and not what you wear.

5. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

Hi chillbreeze,

for this episode dh told her "neenga mattum style-a jean poduveengalam, pkm saree udukanamam, katha nalla irukae" (you will wear jean and want pkm to wear saree, good logic) I am happy that he gave the right answer, but I don't know why am I getting irritated?? Why am I not able to forget her nasty comments?

How about hearing an other one?

episode 2:

I had hip length hair before, but I cut it short to medium length cos i found it difficult to maintain them during winter here and I don't like to use hair dryers often.

MIL comment: why pkm cuts her hair every time. she is getting modern. Since she is a house wife she have enough time to maintain her hair.

FACTS: SIL have bobbed hair and MIL cut short her hair to shoulder length.

REASONING: When dh asked about this logic, her reason was "SIL goes to work and she don't have time to maintain her hair. Also for me this hair cut gives me a younger look and everyone will think I am a modern woman"

I have one doubt to tamilnadu working ladies here: "Do every one do a bobbed cut when you you go to work? I am shocked hearing their reasoning power.

Why don't my MIL think of her and her dd before opening her mouth to pass comments about me????

More hypocrite stories are on the way........

1 person likes this.
  6. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow..PKM...your mil seems to be a serious competition for my mil. I seriously don't understand why they don't stop to think for a minute before making some comment to dil. There are so many things which are perfect if its for her or her DD, but when it comes to me the same things will become unsuitable. I am refraining from posting more about those biased incidents to stop myself from hijacking your thread.

I liked your husband's response to his mother. Good that he can see what's happening and stand by you. My DH will say mil/fil is saying for my own good. Though I am still trying to figure out what good that is...:confused2: and I am sure that will remain a mystery forever.

PS. I am from TN, working and have mid-length hair. I do find it hard to take care during weekdays but I make up for that in weekends and holidays. May be your sil likes to keep her hair short. That is fine. But your mil has no rights to impose on you about the length of your hair/dress you wear.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  7. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Please tell her that you will wear a saree at home if her son agrees to wear a dhoti at home and to work.

6 people like this.
  8. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Ditto! I say the same thing to my brother and my father when they force me to wear salwar kameez at certain places.

9. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

My PIL has commented about my clothes during their first visit. At that time my H supported me and they stopped doing that in their subsequent visits. These days her way of complaining is talking over phone so loudly to someone of her relatives complaining about me or telling a mean story so that i can hear. She also complains about me to her son when i am not around. She will never mention the good things that i did but definitely something that i didnt do her way. No way to make these people happy.

10. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

Exactly... I am not bothered about their life or about anything.. but I don't want my mil or sil to comment about me on my preferences. It is her wish to keep hip length or bobbed hair. Similarly I will keep mine on my way. Don't she feel shame to comment on me when she herself or her dd don't have for themselves.