1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Too angry and frustrated.....

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by anika987, Apr 19, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have accumulated so much of negative energy..

I am so angry all the time.amgry with people who are so lovable and who loves me the most coz am not able to show iton the people who do not deserve love.my mom and dh.

I am a coward.Never have I been able to stand up for myself!!
    I have been bullied in school/college and now by inlaws.I just came to know from my co-sister that MIL and FIL never once dared to yell at her coz SHE STANDS UP FOR HERSELF!!With me it is getting worse and worse.FIL yells all his frustrations on me.DH is a great guy,supports me but after heleaves for work,inlaws start annoying /insulting me.be it my looks,education,family name anything!!you never know what moment they will get angry.I hate their fakeness.I do not think I can deal with them nomore.they come every year for six months and now GreenCard process is going to start!!Mil also messes the home when she comes here.seeing her sit and watch ipad all day when am slogging and giving me more work by making me fold her laundary etc is very annoying.2 weeks I got to India,i get commented on sitting and reading books.she says" u r not a guest here not my home is a resort".How come she sits here for six months and just watches ipad??

living in USA,not working,dealing with hyper kids,house never clean no matter what,annoying inlaws,no good friends it is taking a toll on me.
    going to India and living with inlaws..I just cannot do it.

These days am too depressed.I cry at the drop of an hat.
    esp seeing my unclean ugly home...it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo depressing..any tips of how to clean home efficiently and quickly??

I just do not know what am even typing..what do i want.. i do not know..

2. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

Dear Anika

please relax.

Since you are really upset and have not clearly mentioned your problems, this is what I suggest be courage and learn to stand up for yourself . Read some of posts in IL by courageous dil who knows to handle the bossy, manipulative, cunning pil either diplomatically or the other way.

When FIL yells at you stop him then and there. Tell him straight to his face to stop shouting at you. Why do you need dh's mouth piece.

When your pil are insulting you, there are two choices- ignore or answer back.

I see you mil knows you well, her nasty comments about you makes you uneasy and you obey her. Don't start folding her clothes when she asks you to do. Change your character, make your decisions and stick on to it. If you feel like relaxing or reading a book DO IT.

Kids will get matured as they grow up don't worry. When kids are around no doubt home will be a mess. Teach them to help you keep the home clean.

3 people like this.
  3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Honey, I will try to give you some guidance regarding house work.

Spend 1hr in the morning cooking. Cook for both lunch and dinner. If ur ppl eat rotis, bring frozen rotis. Keep the subzi etc simple. If they think it's too simple for their taste, tell them, sorry this is what we all eat everyday.

Spend 30mins in the EVENING to clean. Don't clean in the mornings. Your husband sees amessy house, goes to work, comes back to a messy house. You get my point? Clean just before your husband comes. Don't spend more than 30mins. 15mins to quickly put away things and 15 mins to vaccuum. That's it.

Now spend 30mins on laundry and loading dishwasher. Buy two cheap laundry baskets. Put ur inlaws washed laundry in one basket and put in in their room.

You are perhaps thinking - what if I can't finish all this in the said time? Don't beat yourself - learn to speed up. Get a timer and see if you can do it faster than the previous week. Set reasonable targets. Do what you can in those 2hrs and relax.

The moment your husband leaves the house, drop everything and relax.

Don't treat inlaws like guests. Treat them like ur mom and dad.....do you bend backwards when your parents are around ? Serve them 24/7? No! Just let inlaws be like that. If they don't like it, they have a choice. Your house is not a hotel honey, you are not a servant!

When they shout at you, look in their eyes straight and tell them firmly not to shout at you.

8 people like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks droplet.

the problem is I am a coward:( even if I stand up for myself and talk back,FIL and MIL can use even harsher words and can crush ur feelings just like that.all they want is to WIN the argument.I am not smart enough to keep on retorting.plus being in the home with them all day,them showing faces and tantrums it is too hard to take.kids r too small and it will take sometime to go for a job.

even after going for a job the prob is MIL WILL NOT offer any help.dh runs late due to his commute and job.so I got to take care of home,housework,office,kids,inlaws,hubby...work only will double.

I know there is no solution except for me becoming bold.I am just not able to take their rude hurtful words..

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks tulipz..

I once told them not to shout at me..MIL made a huge fuss for 2 days,kept crying all day
    and FIL went to beat MIL infront of dh saying how his son is not taking care of them,dh was yelled at,hubby was so embarrassed and he apologized to his mom(which he should not have but she just won't stop crying!dh is a sweet guy and they r emotionally blackmailing him)

QUESTION TO INLAWS

: why u people turn so evil after ur son gets married????what's with the insecurity???ur torturing another woman's daughter (DIL) can't u see that??
    there are lots of women like me who are suffering!!

6. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

if you are not bold, it's okay Hun. You can still handle things without confrontation.

Do what you can (house work) and ignore them completely. If you ignore them, they will kick up a fuss. Don't give in. Do what you can and continue to ignore.

1 person likes this.
  7. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Let DH handle his parents. He apologizes, falls at their feet, does anything. It's not your headache. Make it VERY clear every time they shout - SHOUTING AT ME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. What happens after that is not your problem. If fil beats mil, it's their prob. Not yours.

You say it and completely ignore the consequences.

Tell your DH that looking after parents does not meaning letting them abuse his wife. Physical, verbal abuse will NOT be tolerated

4 people like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Tulipzz has given excellent advice.
    Next time your PILs start their drama, if you are not comfortable answering back just leave the place, go to your room and shut the door. Repeat as needed. They will eventually back off. They are bullying you since they see you as an easy target.
    There is simply no need to wait on them hand and foot. Prepare food and leave it on the table. Tea or coffee can be made and left in a thermos. You are not a short-order cook.
    Are you children still little or do they go to school? If they are still at home and you drive, try to schedule activities outside the home. There will be some free activities at the local libraries or join a local mom's group. This will help them burn off energy and give you an excuse to escape for a few hours.
    Start making yourself a priority as well. This is one thing we all neglect while taking care of others. Just a simple routine of using some nice lotions and face products everyday and wearing bright cheerful clothes can lift your mood.
    If you want to relax with a cup of tea and a book, do it! It is your home after all. Put on some headphones to tune out any nonsense.
    With kids do not give too much importance to having a magazine-ready house. Get a few large storage bins and slowly teach them to put away their toys after playing. Out of sight, out of mind for stuff is fine.
    I know these things are easier said than done, but try to make small changes consistently.You cannot change others behaviour too much, but it will help you feel better.
    Bullies only prey on the weak.You have to stand up for yourself. Start slow and steady. It has worked for your co-sis, and it will work for you.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    3 people like this.
  9. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

is relation with co-sis good? next time ask her details of what she did. Ask in admiring voice like 'cosis you are so great, how did you say, then what did you say, what happened then' like that. Get her to open up and talk. From this you will know specific weak points of your mil and fil and what minimum is needed to shut them up. eg., one my friend mil is tea addict. no matter what if she prepare tea and give, her mil gets happy and shut up or cools down a bit.

Dont worry about being bold. Bold is not needed here. Just dont wait till they r fully angry to tell them not to shout. As soon as you notice the tone change begin, you can warn them in a soft voice that if they start shouting you will simply go away from there. Then go away without waiting to see result. Do this couple times. They will tell you in milder tone after that. They cant get upset as you didnt shout or confront.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I loved Tulipzz 's suggestions.
    If you can't argue with them ...then don't. If they shout...just say "don't shout at me"in a firm,loud and angry voice and then just walk away. don't wait for them to respond.Even if they start answering back....just look firmly and walk out.If required...go to your room close the door.

Tell your husband about the abuse .Let him sort it out. He can either tell them to stop or tell them to stay in their home and not visit.Don't worry about the dramas....if you ignore they will stop.

1 person likes this.