1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Its that time of the year again!!!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ATI, Apr 17, 2014.

1. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Hi

Every 2 years my in laws visit for 6-8 months. They split this time between their son's homes. And every 2 years I come on here to share all the crazy/nutty things they do; to vent my frustrations and try not to go crazy myself. And now its that time again… Per usual I will keep adding to this thread and hope someone on here can talk me down from the ledge.

One thing worth noting - the last time ILs were here I was 8 months pregnant and they made me cry for hours. So since then I have realized I don't give a damn about them. They humiliated me in front on family and had the nerve to change my daughter's name on her b'day invite without telling me (MIL put her mother's name as my daughter's name). So in some ways I don't care what they think about me anymore and have reached a point where I think they need to make it up to me. I have told DH about this and am sure he doesn't like it but he won't say so openly.

So… Ils landed 2 days ago and didn't tell me. They actually called home, spoke to DH and kids and didn't speak to me. I was right there in the same room. I just went on reading my book. Since they arrived, they have been asking my DH to put the kids on Skype every evening. DH is never home before 7 and my daughter is usually in bed by 7:30. So DH calls me around 6 and asks me to do Skype with his parents. I don't want to. Fortunately I have been super busy the last 2 days so I told DH I can't - I can tell DH is frustrated but frankly I am done being nice to ILs. If they can't treat me well I don't see why I should go out of my way for them

thanks for listening (reading)

1 person likes this.

2. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

hmm. if you don't exist, how can you put the kid on skype?

3 people like this.
  3. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi you are on the right track but please do not have any expectations that they will make up with you or be extra nice to you to make for things from last time cause they won't. Just have 0 expectations. I can understand why you don't do Skype. Tell your DH the real reason why and that he can do it when he comes home from work. Otherwise if really necessary just put kids on and walk away

4. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

:exactly:
    You nailed it.

5. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

I understand about the Skype. I get irritated when my MIL behaves as if I dont exist (when my husband talks to her, she never enquires about me..I know because he sometimes puts her on speaker..she'll ask about kids,office colleagues , neighbour's-uncles's-son's-wife's-sister..but never about me. And still say 'Well..she never called me'..You hang in there sweety. Dont relent. These 'self proclaimed' gods need to be brought down to earth sometimes..

6. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Good on you. I do not exist for mil either. She never even called to ask how are you during my pregnancy, but shows a lot of love for my daughter huhhh. Where was so called dadi when I was expecting her? I do not give a damn either. My DD was a late walker my mil compared her to each and every kid known to her and used to say I do not take proper care of my daughter that is why she is not walking. But seariously I do not care. I am happy in my own little world. My husband understands each and every thing won't say much but I know he does understand a lot more than he says so that's a bit of releif there for me.

7. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Dear in laws you want respect and love u gotta a give it. It's give and take. Otherwise back off of if you cannot then keep cribbing there s not much we can do about it. I believe in you can not please everyone .

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.