1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SIL wedding gift - what to give?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by tulipzz, Apr 17, 2014.

1. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Dh will be attending sils wedding in india soon.

Relationship with SIL :
    She turns nasty in the presence of mil. Otherwise ok. She did say a lot of nasty things and caused fights but nothing unforgivable. She used to demand a lot of things from dh...it reduced later. She never spent a penny on me, dh or our kid. Whatever mil fil gave, she used to write her name on that. Not that im expecting anything, but at times i do buy some little presents for my neices/nephews....not a penny from my sil...not even a card for her own bros bday.

One day i lost it and i told them rakhi money looks like tax (coz no rakhi but we need to send money!). From then on, things changed a bit. Rakhi arrived every year. A toy arrived a cppl of times for dd's birthday too.

We are not on talking terms for many years since i stopped talkinh to mil. She supports her mother all the time and that obviously doesnt go very well with me. Since this is her last bday at maika, i sent her flowers (in the name of me, dh and Ds)...she texted me thank you. And then sent me flowers on my bday. Inlaws then sent the wedding card template to me and dh. Guess what, best complimrnts from

3 people like this.

2. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

From dh and me!! Whoa my name? Impressed!
    And she started addressing me as Bhabhi these days!
    Knowing them, id like to believe this is all for a nice eyewash for sils inlaws

I got carried away and thought of sending gold necklace (around INR 1 lakh) as a wedding present

Given the background and recent developments, am i talking sense? Or should i hold my horses and just let dh go and come back. Or just send some luxury chocolates and a card? Or a pair of earrings?

If i leave it to DH, he wont give anything....mil/sil wont ask now (my assumption)^

3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

I might sound very mean , but id rather donate that money to charity

Inlaws are quite well off anyway.

1 person likes this.
  4. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

hmm..tricky situation..
    DEFINITELY an eyewash :) And maybe a little bit of empathy because she may be thinking, 'NOW i realise the butterflies and emotions one goes through when going into a strange house leaving the comfort of your own home' :)
    I would say go ahead. Give her the gift. Maybe not 1 lakh worth - but atleast say 50K. A 'sizeable' gift, which is neither too small that people can point fingers, but not too big that you feel guilty of it :) .

5. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

IMO, gold ear rings should do. It's gold after all.
    Necklace worth 1L is too much.
    If she genuinely feels you're all family, then she should be ok with this gift.

6. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Gift SIL a cupboard to keep gifts in :) Big enough to be seen by others, probably less expensive and also tongue in cheek :bonk

2 people like this.
  7. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Lol...she is moving to US after marriage... West coast thankfully!

8. stronglady2013

stronglady2013 Silver IL'ite

OP,

I would suggest go with the basic gift like you mentioned earrings..nothing big or small. Necklace would be a bit too much..

1 person likes this.
  9. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Am in agreement. Necklace worth 1L is a bit too much but 40-50K sounds good to me. Even if it all is an eyewash, you're better safe than sorry for having been not too gullible. And she being family you need to gift gold, despite her company induced nastiness.

sindmani and nalinidiv like this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Does she like silver? Amrapali has a lot of trendy pieces in different price ranges, and you can shop online.