1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some red flags in this marriage

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Shakshana, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Shakshana

Shakshana New IL'ite

I am not sure about where to post this thread. Mods, plz correct me!

This is all about the red flags of my brother's recent marriage. The girl is from our far relations, but we seldom interacted with them prior to this marriage proposal.

All the issues started around me; hence I am a bit nervous about my next move with regards to their life.

A little bit of background:-

We are 3 siblings. Our dad passed away some years back, and it was myself and my brother who stood by the family to uplift everyone's life. All 3 of us are professionals in our own stream, earns so good, and live a reasonably good life.
    One by one, we got married and settled in our own marriage life happily. It is now time for my brother to settle in his marriage, to which we have tried our maximum to ensure he select the nicest bride for his future.

My brother had a past love affair, where he had to let his love go due to some horoscope missed match - The girl's parents were too strict on that, and didn't approve their love after finding 0 match between the couple. It took him some years to get over with that failure. The girl is now happily married with a kid in abroad.

My brother became normal only after my first child was born. He is a replica of my brother, and they both gel so good. My brother would go to any extend to make my son happy, and so the little one loves his uncle so dearly.
    The entire family is amazed about their attachment, and look a like features/characters and so happy about it.

We had been searching for a bride to my brother for about 2+ years. My brother is an Engineer, who works so hard, and also runs a private business. Thus he preferred to marry a Home Maker sort of a woman, so that he could at least relax at home peacefully.
    Many good matches were rejected only for the "educational background" and " career" of the brides, as we didn't want to force an educated woman to stay at home or a career woman to quit.
    But finally, this relative girl turned out to be matching with his demands, as she is reasonably educated (12th), good looking with no desire to work. The family is from the village, so we thought they would be innocents. So we fixed the match as my brother liked her anyway.

The bride's family willingly announced that they would donate their home to their DD, and provide some 40 pawns of gold as dowry. Further they said that they have a FD account for their DD with US$ 30000. They also said that their DD is very active, works around the home 24/7, and keep it clean always. The announcement was made as casual during the engagement before both sets of family and friends. Since we had no intention to demand anything, we left it like that till the wedding date. But, to our surprise no one from the bride's side showed interest on giving the so called dowry during or after the wedding.

The family was too good to us. They were bending backward towards us, and gifting us a lot (even for a casual visit, they made sure they bring something to everyone of us). We were too naive to trust them that time.

Just a month before the wedding, the elders of the family have completely cut all of their marriage related talks with us, but they were casually inquiring about our well-beings as usual.
    Whenever we started discussing about anything, they would say.. "we have already discussed this with your son/brother, and as per his idea we are progressing".
    Since we sisters are married and settled separately, we didn't bother too much about the details of their wedding plans - It was our mistake. My mom was/is too naive to be carried away by sweet words, and she is too sensitive that she always avoids any controversial talks that would irk the situation.

Just a couple of days before the marriage only, I came to know that my brother is struggling to make this marriage happen as he had already spent almost all his savings and applied for a loan to meet the remaining expenses. Representing a groom's family, I found it extremely odd as all the expenses related to this wedding was made to spend by my brother.

It seems the bride contacted by brother before marriage to convey their wedding plans. She demanded the jewelries, the weight of such jewelries, the wedding saree, the theme of the wedding and how the entire arrangement should go. They said that they are planning to give all the money/spending since they are unable to break the FD account that they have on their DD's name before it's maturity. And also, their promise of giving a house, jewels and other materials made my brother feel guilt to ask them spend for this marriage regardless of their excuses. He believed them, or he was made to trust them wholeheartedly (I say so, as far as I know, my brother has never been this naive before).

Nevertheless, till the wedding date, there was no sign of giving the said dowry. So, as advised by our relatives, my mother asked the girl's mom secretly about their plans in this regard. To which that woman screamed loud, and said that they wouldn't run away after the marriage, and if we doubt they can hire a lawyer right away (at 11pm) and give the dowry. This made my mom uncomfortable; hence she kept quit - rather felt guilt for asking so.

During the marriage, they did not treat us good. It was unexplainable in words, but we could sense the difference. We ignored that, and thought the family should be either too busy or upset about the previous night's incident.

At the wedding hall, the MIL of my brother screamed at me saying why did you made this Thali this way, we are not happy about this. Later, they sidelined my little son whenever he wanted to take pics with my brother - To which my brother became too infuriated, and reacted. He warned the MIL to mind her words, specially with his sister (me) and mom, else he would leave his wife no matter what. He asked her to give the dowry as promised, and ask sorry for her mistakes. To which they agreed it seems.

We have never shown our disagreements to our brother so far, but later only we learnt from him about his reactions on his wedding night (that time we have already left the scene).

On the day of home coming the MIL had shown a tough face towards me. When I attempted to welcome her by formally hugging, she refused it in public. I ignored that too. But somewhat someone had made my brother aware of this, and he is again upset with his wife for this matter.

After a couple of days, we (my family, sister's family) left from my brother's house to our respective homes. But we were on touch with our mom via phone on a daily basis.

This is what we hear from our mom:
    1. The girl sleeps almost all the time inside her room, by leaving my 66 years of age mom to look after that new home. When mom inquires about it, she says she is unable to work, doesn't know cooking so asked my brother to look for a full time help
    2. She and her mom complained about my brother's new house instead of praising his hard-work. They also had reservations about his newly purchased land. They feel it is not a suitable place for their DD to stay long
    3. The girl brought some Jewels when coming to her new home. That is ofcouse not equal to 40 pawns (but some 10 pawns), and she wants to keep those jewels in her mom's home. My mom has instructed her to keep the jewel with her (read: with the girl and not with mom) as she might be invited for parties and gatherings as a new bride, and it would be tough to travel 5hrs to her mom's place just to bring the jewels every time. To which she remained quit, but in fact left all her jewels at her mom's place when they visited there.
    3. The girl complains of the bathroom, as you know the washrooms in the cities could not be compared to the open washing space of a village. She keeps all her dresses unwashed, and takes them to her village every weekends. This is to demand my brother drive her to her mom's place every weekends by leaving his private business unattended.
    4. She has started brainwashing my brother it seems. Because when my mom had asked her to do something, she misunderstood it, and conveyed a mean message to my brother about my mom. My brother is too vocal, so he inquired about it right away to clear the misunderstandings.
    5. Now a days, she tries her level best to separate my son and my brother which of course I can not help, but too painful to see my little son missing his dear uncle.
    6. SIL's elder sister had made her Husband sell his own home and deposit the lump sum in her name, and reside in their relative's (MIL's brother) empty house. We fear the same could happen to my brother in the long run, if we continue to stay away.

My mom is to live with me as I have 2 young kids. She spends just the initial days with SIL, but now strangely my brother wants mom to stay with him always. He doesn't say anything openly, but feels too lonely after marriage.

He demands me to come to my home with mom (which is in walkable distance from his home) but 3 hrs drive one way to our office (me and Husband). Distance was the main reason for us to settle in the metro instead of commuting daily. But we sisters' feel guilt for not staying close with our brother when he is going through a tough/unexpected time in his life. Also I feel extra guilt for keeping mom with me.

Sorry for the long post. Didn't know how to express my views properly. Looking forward to your valuable insights. Thanks

2. mcutiepie

mcutiepie Gold IL'ite

your brother needs support from you guys. Firstly I think you need to understand realities of her behavior. At times, things are not the way they seem to be. Also, there is a possibility that she is being guided by her parents/family. If not on daily basis, you or your mom can go to his place over weekends and try to understand the whole situation. You can try to politely discuss with his wife for the issues you guys have, try to make her understand her wrong doings but try to have all this is front of your brother so that he is aware of all such discussion.

If visiting is not possible, firstly discuss all that with your brother over phone and try to understand if he is really in trouble and then accordingly find a solution.

2 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Your brother and you took care of the family after your father passed away. He is an engineer, earns reasonably well and also has a private business. He's been through a life experience of a love affair. Why would such a person do something so foolish as spending all savings and applying for a loan to meet wedding expenses?

What do you mean by "Representing a groom's family"?

2 people like this.
  4. Shakshana

Shakshana New IL'ite

We can not visit every now and then to their home, so I tried calling my brother to alert him to be careful, specially when it comes to money matters. But I did not feel comfortable to discuss all these red flags openly with him. Also, I am still not sure whether as an outsider, I am still eligible to discuss their personal issues at the first place.

I know that my brother would react harsh if I complain anything about his in laws, but at the end of the day, such misunderstanding will lead to an unhappy marriage to him. I have my own life, where I am perfectly happy. I don't want to spoil the initial days of happiness and the importance of laying a strong foundations of my brother's life. That's why I seek your guidance here.

5. Shakshana

Shakshana New IL'ite

In our culture, weddings are like festivals. There are several functions accompany with each wedding. As per the tradition, each side (groom's and bride's) is responsible for each functions.
    For instance, if the bride's family is spending everything on the wedding, then the groom's family need to take up 100% responsibility for the home coming function. Jewels need to be purchased more or less equally, although 95% of the jewels will be worn by the bride. Similarly there are plenty of customs regarding this.

My brother was asked to spend for both the marriage and home coming, plus for the jewels and customs by the bride with a sweet promise of paying back all the expenditure right after the marriage, once their FD matures.
    According to my brother, the bride has requested him to pay so, as aperently the FD was to mature a couple of weeks after the marriage, and if they break the conditions and withdraw the money before, the bank won't pay them the interest, which is a lot.
    This is a marriage and it has to be built on trust at the first place. Also they are our relatives, and they can't simply run away from us after marrying their DD to our family. Further, it felt odd to force them to spend when they humbly requested the above citing "loss of bank interest" as a reason. So, altogether my brother gave in.

I agree. Had he discussed this with us before giving in, he would have escaped from this. But fault lies not only in him, but in us too. We have recently moved from our native, and took mom too with us. So, my brother was left all alone there to handle everything on his own. (Although we were just 3 hrs away from him, and were available on phone all the time)

Representing grooms family means:
    In our culture, there are certain things that a groom and his family needs to spend on his wedding. There are certain things that he needs to spend after the wedding. Basically the groom spends little on the wedding, but spend a lot (life long spending for the family during all the occasions) after the wedding.
    But bride's family spend a lot on the wedding day, as it is mostly done by the bride's side only. But after the wedding, bride's family take a back and from that point onwards it is the groom who is responsible for every spending related to his wife.

It was weird when my brother has been asked to spend on everything at the wedding and afterwards. Although the reasons cited was agreeable, but at the end of the day it is none other than cheating.

1 person likes this.
  6. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

shakshana, since ur brother spent on almost everything for the wedding he shud have keep the things control on his hand. he shudnt have let his wife and her family demanded and acted arrogantly during and after the wedding.
    pls adv ur brother to be more stern and keep his family under his control. in the begining the new wife might resist and protest and but will get used to it.

dont feel bad to interfere in ur brother's family life. u only want ur broter and his wife to have a happy life. IMO nothing wrong with it.

2 people like this.
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello

Your brother does seem to be in a pickle but he is handling it as he sees fit. IMO you really mustn't tell him anything unless he explicitly asks. You can tell him that he seems stressed out and he is welcome to come and have a chat with you if it would make him feel better. Then sit back and wait.

I know it would be tempting to run in and try to save the day. However, that would be considered interference and would only make things worse.

It is sad that your son is being sidelined but there are bigger things to worry about here...

I hope all works out well for your brother
    G

7 people like this.
  8. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Understood, you had explained each and every moment only to describe their characters..

First of all you should guess your brother mindset upon them before suggest.. Just convey your opinion as be careful, dont drag the topic to extent, until he give support..

1 person likes this.
  9. shobhamumbaikar

shobhamumbaikar Gold IL'ite

Dear Shakshana,

I am sorry if i sound rude. But you are talking about demanding dowry. Saying they said they will give it and later did not. So you told them to do it right away? Aren't you? Don't you think you are doing something very wrong. Educated working ladies like you support dowry system and can criticize girls family for not giving that..Its a pity.
    Your mom told your sil to keep the jewelery with her. According to you she did it for sil's own good. If that is the case then why does she have to feel bad if she chooses to do otherwise?? It is she who will have to travel every time she needs to wear them, right? why are you upset about that???

You said girls' family requested your bro to shoulder the expenses and that they will pay it back after a couple of weeks. So have that couple of weeks already passed and they have not given it?? If yes, then yes they are cheating. If no then how can you call them a cheat yet? and why does your mom have to go and ask her mom for it?? she could have waited till the time. evrybody knows money matter is bit sensitive. You can feel bad if they want to take a pic of the new couple with them and so want to get your kid out of the frame, and you expect that your sil's mom will not feel bad if she is asked when she is going to give the money???

Please lady, don't behave like an interfering sil and do not spoil the possiblity of a healthy mil-dil relationship even before it starts.

Your bro has threaten his inlaws of leaving his wife if they are not sweet to you and your mom and made them apologize to you. Isn't that enough? How would you feel if your husband had done it to your mom?? You may very well become the reason of your brother's ruined marriage if you continue to do such things. Let them sort out their things. And dont make it them vs you. It is not so. It is between your bro and his in laws and his wife AND her in laws. Stay away from all these unless and untill your brother asks for your intervention.

Remember most of the dils would like to get rid of their m il. If your sil would have been that bad and if she had been brainwashing your bro then your bro would not have asked your mom to stay with him permanently. Please do not give in to the temptation of blaming the new bride for anyhting gone wrong or any changed behavior of your bro. People change over time...give them some time and please please do not judge

14 people like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You had no intention of demanding anything ...yet as a family have been so concerned and asked about the dowry.

Your brother should have refused to spend so much on the wedding if it was a burden.He seem to be a wise and successful guy professionally...how did he get sucked into spending so much?

Your brother doesn't seem like a guy who can be exploited so easily...a man who threatens to leave his wife during the wedding ceremonies is not someone who gets taken advantage of. Don't worry....he seems quite capable of being able to get his money back.

It is extremely unwise and cruel on the part of your brother to threaten to leave his wife...whatever may be the reason.there is no justification for that. You may have un wittingly sown the first seeds of discord between the newly married couple by being the reason for the misguided outburst.

If they promised to pay.....give them the time to pay for their part of the wedding...like you said,they are relatives,they won't run away.

Is there a problem between the couple that needs to be sorted out.....or a problem between mil and dil that is irking you?....try not to interfere.

As for the not working at home...she is young,not very educated.Don't expect her to take over the entire house hold work immediately. Besides ,she is newly married and has better ways to spend time with her husband than to do all household work.Give her time to adjust to married life.After all one doesn't get married to do house hold work only.

She may fall short of your expectations...doesn't matter as long as she can make a happy life with your brother. That is what is most important. Money,house work...this that are all secondary.It is not easy for her either. Three older sister in laws and Mil to deal with .....not at all easy.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    11 people like this.