1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Confessions of a DIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by beingloved, Apr 11, 2013.

1. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Helloooo ladies...

Going through many threads and i must say "It happens only at ILs house" is most interesting..kinda hooked to it since last few days:thumbsup

Even while cribbing about our sacred MILs, i think there are moments when we DILs take our sweet revenge by many methods like pretending not to hear, face gestures, body language, planning to expose her in front of DH or other family members, exposing her deeds in our own ways etc etc

These moments of sadistic pleasure keeps us going. So wanna know your moments of pleasure when you ladies were really happy for the small, sweet victories by outwitting the holy cow MIL:biglaugh

We can learn ways from each other how to project ourselves firmly without being disrespectful.

Get started lovely ladies, share your moments of victory:clap

11 people like this.

2. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Hmmm... Bubblygal, you're needed here ASAP!! :)

13 people like this.
  3. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

For the past 1 year, I have been getting real good at "the evil DIL" thing. A lot of these happen in kitchen, so DH doesnt even know.

Thumb rules are -
    1. Never discuss "evil plans" with DH, never complain about FIL & MIL.. even better never discuss inlaws to DH
    2. Never express anger or behave like you did it intentionally
    So, here goes -

FIL & MIL would just sit and complain about anything I cook. They have much lower that usual sugar and salt in food and expect me to cook like that. Infact FIL behaves like those judges in TV shows whose job is to critique what I cook.Both are EXTREEMELLLYY FUZZY when it comes to food. They need things a certain way and any variation becomes big complaints.

For me tea is important for me and I need to get my cup of tea with right amount of tea leaf and sugar and milk in the morning. As a courtesy, I made extra tea for FIL and MIL.
    • Day 1 Complaint - "Oh my god that tea mug is huge, it is making me scared ( It was not a huge mug, just the usual size tea cup). In our family, we have of tea in small glasses". So, I serve tea in tiny cups I had.
    • Day 2 Complaint - " The tea does not taste the way we make in our family". I calmly reply that it is because I make tea with skimmed milk and if MIL prefers whole milk we can get that can they can make tea separately their way. So, I passed on the message that I am not going to give up my "skimmed milk tea". Since I suggested that they make their own, MIL & FIL immediately said that they will adjust and have the skimmed milk tea too. I would have been surprised if it was otherwise because if I make mine and they make their tea, FIL looses the opportunity to keep nagging me about how I make tea:).
    • Day 3 Complaint - " The tea is a bit too sweet". I said, I can give you the tea before I add sugar so he / MIL can have it without sugar or add to his tastes. To which, they did not reply.
    • Day 4 Complaint - " Today also, tea is too sweet". I asked - "Oh is it " while sipping my tea.
    • Day 5 - I added more sugar only in their tea .
    • Day 5 Complaint - "Oh god.. this is so sweet". I asked - "Oh is it" while sipping my tea.
    • Day 6 - I still added more sugar in their tea only.I asked - "Oh is it" while sipping my tea.
    • Day 7 - MIL came and told me in a not so happy tone that - never mind, just make tea for yourself. Dont make for me and FIL. I said - "Oh okay, no worries".
    Since that week, I just make my tea as usual and MIL and FIL just sit and sulk .. am sure they have lots of complaints in mind about how I did not serve them good tea, but all is well with me :thumbsup

60 people like this.
  4. foxybeat

foxybeat Platinum IL'ite

My favorite is when my FIL asks me questions that I dont feel like answering. My reply will always be ' Oh thats ok , not an issue, we will see about it, no problem. Dont worry about it.' The answer will have no connection to whatever he would have asked.

He gets a little bugged when I do that , but thats what he gets when he asks me stupid questions like ' Oh please can you spare some time to talk to me. ', especially when I am talking to him. :rant

15 people like this.
  5. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

@reshabu: hee hee :rotfl.... good way to escape from daily torture. :)

I have a similar one.... Actually I learned it from MIL herself. MIL is used to adding huge oil and red chilli powder in her curry, while I use very less oil and spices. One day she said very sweetly in front of DH, "see Shreya, I've made today's sabzi less spicy and oily just for you." Well it was no different than the last one, but still. So when it was my turn of cooking, I too added a drop of oil and a pinch of chilli powder extra and told her (in front of DH), "see Mummyji, I added more oil and chilli just for you."

27 people like this.
  6. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Another one... She has sour relations with most of the nearby shopkeepers. So, in the act of revenge, I buy from those shops only and pretend that I know nothing about the family feud. The shopkeepers are also 'chalu'. They tell her neighbors, "Unki bahu to hamare yaha se hi saman leti hai (her DIL buys things only from us)". MIL feels like :rant about my 'indiscretion' and I'm like :cool:

12 people like this.
  7. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Another thread to make me jealous :-(

8 people like this.
  8. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

keep going girls. good things i can learn..:) sometimes ppl are so unreasonable. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

partners in crime.:rotfl
    look for a new user with spicy contributions in next few days. :evil:

10 people like this.
  10. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

MIL constantly tells FIL what a bad person I am and turns him against me. Any chance I get I try to be nice to him, offer him food, and offer to do things that he needs done. I just want him to say I don't think she's that bad. That way MIL will look like the complainer. I always tell DH invite your parents out for dinner etc with us on days I know they have plans. DH thinks I am such a nice person for inviting them but meanwhile I know they will decline invitation. :)

16 people like this.