1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My SIL(Brother's wife) and me.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by lukywife, Oct 16, 2012.

1. lukywife

lukywife Gold IL'ite

Its just a wonderful experience i wanted to share.I hail from liberal brahmin family.I am married to a wonderful person.I am doing MS in Quebec.I have an younger brother who got married and it was purely an arranged marriage.There are so many mil-dil-sil problems in my family.My brother impacted by this before marriage used to say to my mom "see i will take my wife's side once am married as my dad always do.If you are ready for this get me married or else i will be your son always.":D we all used to laugh at this statement.My sil is the sweetest person in this world.she is a very bold person.I am always insipred by the way she presents herself.After marriage itself my brother told my mom that she doesnt have any beliefs over thaali,metti and no one should compel her to wear.My family doesnt have anyproblem with this,since they have seen a rebellious girl like me in their family.I have seen my replica in her somany times.My parents are ahead of one generation in their thinking.But I wanted to maintain a good relationship with my sil. I am totally agaist rituals that degrades women directly or indirectly.marriage expenses,it was shared by both parents.Simply before seeking alliance for my brother,i was just advising my mom and told her that she should not behave like a wife to her son.And so my mom is so close to me than my brother.My mom is very concious on not to create insecurity between my brother and sil ,so she will stay away from them.During nalungu also,i accomanied my sil and no chauvenistic rituals like namaskaram to husband by sil was done.After marriage both the couple were let free in their own house.They were not taken to either of the parents place.Instead myself and my husband gifted my brother and sweetest sil,a honeymoon package and I booked 4 tickets in boat house,kerala for my parents and her parents so that they might get a chance to understand themselves. My father is totally against joint family system and he himself is a feminist. My mom even though potray herself as a bold lady and who is totally against patriarchy, sometimes she used to complain my sil as she eats nonveg.For that i told her "SIL should be treated the same way as you would treat my husband.Your son doesnt have problem with this.Its his wife.You have to accept her for what and how she is.period" .But she will not poke her nose into my brothers and sil's business.I maintain a great relationship with my sil's sweetest sister and her parents.And now my mom started loving her just the way she is. And i love my Sil more than my brother.But i will not torture them and take their private time.i will speak with her only 10 mins a week.Eventhough we are like close friends,i will not ask her and my brother about their financial plans and i will not suggest anything unless asked.But my love towards her is growing rapidly.Since i give more importance to her than my brother,she loves me a lot.If i tried to dominate my sil,then i would have probably lost my sil's relationship and brother.This post is just to share my relationship with sil.simply a pugalaram maalai of my sil.

PS: I should thank indusladies since i read a lot of threads which advises how one should be a good sisterinlaw.I literally homeworked a lot:D My big thanks to my feminist husband who taught me how to be a good sil.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    8 people like this.

2. anuyogam1988

anuyogam1988 Gold IL'ite

Your sister-in-law should be really really lucky!!!!!This shows your maturity in handling relations.

4 people like this.
  3. siviya

siviya Senior IL'ite

Wow... You are one good soul. I really like the way you made your entire family to accept your sil the way she is..
    She must be really lucky to be in your family.

4 people like this.
  4. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

a very lucky family in general & i should appreciate u for taking all the efforts to maintain the love & affection in the family.
    It is very refresshing to see such a positive thread in this forum , way to go girl. :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

I wish everyone could be like you people.

2 people like this.
  6. mercyagin

mercyagin Gold IL'ite

I wish, I had inlaws like you. Makes life so much easier. Even I will try to be good SIL like you after my brother gets married.

2 people like this.
  7. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Lucky you. God Bless you, your sweet SIL and your family.

1 person likes this.
  8. Anu4U

Anu4U New IL'ite

hats off to you ...not every SIL MIL understands the way you or your mom understands...I wish all those MILS and SILS hear your story and get inspired ... I love the lines ""SIL should be treated the same way as you would treat my husband.Your son has no problem with this.Its his wife.You have to accept her for what and how she is.period" ...I guess you are one unique SIL who is very understanding and sweet :)

3 people like this.
  9. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

So nice of U to share this lukywife,
    I wish U people to be like this forever.. :)

2 people like this.
  10. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread :) My equation with my bro's wife is the same as yours.
    I love my bro's wife n bro equally. She too loves me :)
    A funny thing happened during their marriage. The groom is supposed to put 2 knots of thaali and last one by SIL. But unknowingly my bro tied one knot n I had to put the two knots. It so happens that she shares most of her probs with me and I understand her better than my bro. So she keeps telling that she's kinda married to me and not my bro as I am always available for her to share her joy or sorrow :)
    She is a talented girl and I respect her for what she is, though she is younger to me by 8yrs :)

11 people like this.