1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

please help..a depressed DIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by karuna17, Sep 25, 2012.

1. karuna17

karuna17 New IL'ite

here comes another post :(
    hi ladies, need your inputs/ suggestions in solving my life's biggest problem.
    if you have read my earlier posts, you can get to see that i have some issues with MIL.
    the battle is still on.....

my MIL is here with us and me being working we generally have a hectic time in the morning
    i will get up by 7 and will start my day by putting rangoli in front of house , my servant wont come early in the morning
    the morning so i will sweep the floor and wash my baby's utensils, sterilize them and wash our lunch carriers etc.
    and i also chop the vegetables. and prep roti dough .
    by that time my MIL wakes up.

i have to do all the cleaning stuff in the mrng like sweeping the floor , clean my baby's diaper
    etc. so i will wait to take bath after every task completes.
    mean while my MIL takes bath and she ll enter kitchen and will start cooking.
    i tried saying her not to start cooking i will come and do it.
    she never listen.
    she takes full control of kitchen since then and she uses me as an assistant
    for passing vessels, taking some stuff from fridge etc.,
    she ll cook and ll make kictehn messy and she ll go away telling me to clean everything
    i ll b a spectator just doing the tasks what all she assignes to me.
    by the time evrything is completed it will be 9.
    i should be in ofc by 10 so i rush after that i will forget some small things like i might not hv put all the used vessels in sink or
    i might not hv dried the used towel etc..,

by the time i return from ofc it will be 7.30-8 , and as soon as i enter home,
    my MIL will start pointing what all i didnt do in d mrng.
    actually her way of talking will be bit rude and she makes faces also.
    i feel very bad and some times will give her explanations.
    some time i simply smile and leave.
    but this constant criticizing is dragging me into depression these days
    am finding it really scary to go to house in the evening.
    she ll comment everything i do
    if i keep quiet and dont talk that also she ll make scene that am not showing love and care
    towards her
    so am supposed to talk, if i sit in my room doing some stuff that also bothers her so much
    for every small thing she will make some or the other scene crying loudly.
    she will not allow me to cook and once her son comes she says no one is taking care of her and she ll go away.

Also, she wont allow me to feed my baby do any tasks related to her. only task which my MIL gives is diaper change
    even if i start feeding also, in the half way if my baby troubles me, she takes off my baby saying i dont know how to feed.

Decisions in the house are also taken by her. i am supposed to do only cleaning stuff. some times , i feel am i servant or what.
    she only decides when i should sleep when i should be awake evrything.
    if i sleep early, she will say am lazy.

This has become evryday drama...am tired of this.
    me and my husband are not at all enjoying our lives as we both never find a time together.
    weekends if we go out, he will bring his mother along with us.

week days by the time he comes it will be 10 and after he comes he will chat with his mother fr an hour or so, and by that time i will be very tired and will be sleeping.
    (my baby is only 9 months and am still having hormone issues.)

she feeds his brain with all comments as soon as he comes home, so though he doesnt say anything to me, he will get into sleep calmly.
    i said why to bother everyone and i said am in-capable and i will go away so that he and his mom can be happy.
    my husband is saying he wont let me go.
    am seriously tired of all these and need some mental peace.
    also, she wont allow me to call my parents/ relatives/ friends from home, she wont say anything directly but she either make vessel sounds loudly or will say once disconnecting the call who is that
    with so much work @ home why u r talking so long.
    seriously i dont have freedom to do anything.
    i cant buy my fav dresses to my baby, i cant buy jewellery everything needs to be approved by her.
    with so much of frustration in my mind, i decided its time for fight back.

Last night, i went home and i saw that what ever has been prep by me is not eaten by her. so thought even if i prep then also she wont eat,
    so i kept quiet and had my dinner at 9.30 as my husband told he will be late.
    i had y dinner with morning curry and rasam and my MIL came to have her dinner and asked me why i didnt prep any curry for my hubby.
    (Generally if i prep ( they say both mom and son) they do nt hv habit of eating curries @ night.
    so assuming the same comment i have nt tried to prep curry.)
    She started saying i wont care abt my hubby, iam lazy and all.
    i thought its time to explain her.
    so i said its not my laziness just that some thinking gap.
    and i said being working i hv my own limitations and i cant think beyond that.
    i said if u want me to be changed and do everything and think about evey task at home withouot forgetting,
    i hv to get my brain replaced.
    she got very angry and started saying that am very cunning and her son is very innocent
    i said am not. she said u r talking so tactically yes you are.
    i said may be as i work in corporate world, i hv to talk like this
    basically i back answered her . not that rash but in a strong voice only
    this morning she said she will go back to her native to her son giving the reason that
    am not mingling with her prop.
    Though my husband didnt sauy anything to me directly he looked upset.( my FIL expired).
    now am feeling guilty. but how long i hv to keep to myself?
    please let me know ur inputs. :(

- A Depressed DIL :(

2. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Dear, seems your DH is fully aware of his mom. Since you didnt talk back all these days she was comfortable. Next time if she says she will move tell her you will not stop her. Before that grab some time and talk to your DH.

3. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Dear karuna,

You are doing good job in taking care of your family with baby, cooking, cleaning and everything. And the best part is you dont complain. Great dear. Also, your DH seems to be handling the situation sensibly by not fighting with you for his mother. Just one time talk to your DH that you cant take anymore. And you ar enot complaining but just informing about the happening. And tell that you dont want to have any fight between you just coz of her complaints.

You dont have to take any crappy things from your MIL. If she says anything you have to respond to her then and there otherwise you will build frustration and anger against her. You have written that she interfere when you are on call with your family. Who the hell is she to stop you from calling your parents? Are you a machine to work whole day? So what if clothes are not arranged properly.You dont have to excel in cleaning and arranging. Let the almirah, cupboards be messy.Priortise things.Add your ME time, WE time and play with baby time in your
    priority list.

I dont want give gyan on how to do and when to do as you are doing really excellent job with career and family and of course the nagging MIL.

1 person likes this.
  4. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

hi me too in same situation............
    my MIL too uses me as assistant. I too posted to indusladies about my difficulties. many ilites have responded to have patience ... and i am working on that...
    luckily you are atleast working dear, where as I am here only...
    I have back answered my Mil, which is costly affair I realize. it only spoiled my relatonship with my husband....
    in my case too FIL expired, and MIL is really smart woman...
    my husband is her only son, (sil s are married and in India)...
    I also dont have freedom of anything..
    my mil too comes everywhere........... no time spending bw me and my husband...
    she comes in bw me and my baby too.. same as your situation...
    i am also frustrated like you...
    but I recommend you not to back answer her, keep minimum relation with her.
    regards
    resmi

5. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Really...such posts make me wonder how some husbands totally take their wives for granted. Your DH expects you to be polite and take care of MIL and yet he turns a blind eye to what you have to go through.

First of all, I want to tell you that you must not forgo the right of a mother...that is to feed your baby. It is absolutely normal for new moms and babies to face some blocks while feeding. This does not mean that anyone else, even your H can take your baby away saying that you do not know how to feed. (On that note, ask MIL to try feeding your DD and "teach" you how to feed. Let us see whether your DD troubles then. Am half-joking)
    You can lock yourself in a room with your baby and feed her. Do not bother about MIL...she will get used to it gradually.

You better start tackling this situation now or it will only get worse with time.
    You already have a LOT on your plate-work, baby, chores, MIL etc.

I would suggest that on a weekend when everyone is relatively free, call your MIL and H for a discussion. CALMLY say that you are very grateful to MIL for taking care of DD while you are at work, and that you like how she gets grandma's love and care. In the same CALM tone, explain that you really want to take care of her, but have some limitations because you are working. Tell her that you might not be able to follow the methods specified by her to do this as you have time constraints, but she can be rest assured that she will be taken care of by DIL. Stress that you want to do this with all your heart. And that you are sorry if anything you said/did hurt her and you never intended any harm.
    Make sure your H is also part of this discussion. STAY CALM no matter what she says. If she tries to pick a fight, STAY CALM. Your H will realize that you are behaving maturely while his mom is the one misunderstanding things. He may not say it but it will definitely remove any apprehensions if any in his mind with regard to your intention to take care of his mom.

After that, remain calm whatever she says and do things your way.

1 person likes this.
  6. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

Look Karuna, don't bother with all this drama. Wait and watch a little bit as to how it plays out. If it gets really out of hand, you can try managing it but otherwise just see if she is just making empty threats.

I will give you an example. I had a baby. My MIL made sure she comes to my delivery and not my mom. Anyhow, she was here and sometimes would do things that upset us. I would let everything slide but my husband retorted once or twice when provoked too much. That too it was no big deal really, he just answered irritatingly. But she declares that she is going back immediately. I work too. She had not let me put my son in daycare saying she is here to take care of him so he should be with her. Finding daycare instantaneously is not easy, that too for such a young infant.
    Anyhow, this was the first time in our relationship I was really angry at her behavior. She has done things other times but emotional blackmail is just wrong. You know what, we told her its okay. We care for her but its her decision and that she is not to worry about my baby's care. All other moms manage it so will I. I just told my husband to talk to her and not let her go angry but otherwise I would not plead for her to say and apologize where I am not wrong. She played all this drama, where my Fil called and makes excuse of why she should come back immediately. When until after a day she sees that we are not responding in the way she expected - groveling at her feet not to leave, she switched her words and said I cannot think of that poor kid alone and all I wanted is for my son to come to me and say mom please don't go. We still didn't say that. But she stayed. I tried hard for us to behave normally and was a gracious host rest of her stay. But even now when I think about that incident, I feel that burn.

I think your MIL is emotionally blackmailing you. She knows both of you work and this would be your pain point. You have to be tactful to steer it in correct direction. Without making yourself or your husband the bad person, drive a strong point in to her that these stupid tactics won't work.

7. sheel

sheel Bronze IL'ite

hi..me too in smae situation and can understand your situation...But i am also helpless..i am tired of listening full day gyan

8. rojarani

rojarani New IL'ite

hai karuna , reshmiji, some othrers wo relate to this situation,

u can check my earlier posts, yep sailing in same boat,

married for 10 long years , and suffering with mil from 9 years..totally , 1 year was lost immediate after marriage may be...the bliss of married life..

my present situation is maid for the home, if she tells the menu i have to follow that, she expects me to ask her money if paper boy comes for monthly pay...mil and husband sits in front seat of the car and i have to sit back with my kids, if i get angry i have to stay at home but they both will go saying bank work of mil....and come late home...

im showing ur future if u stay calm this is going to happen................
    so all my patience has gone just started avoiding even hubby as i feel that he is playing doublegame to keep me calm....even if she asks im mtotally prepared to reply her bluntly......becoz i lost all the respect for her, as she tore my photos in 2 incidents when i was not in the house......

i feel ur same sentimental fool as all of us....that mils r head ofthe family, if wereply them husbands will get angry and avoid us...so we will start getting adjusted to the life
    firstly try to think this way.
    1. she has to depend on u in future....not u.
    2. when ur unconfortable u try to reverse the situations.
    e.g. my mil and hubby eats in hall and i will take my dd into the room so that she doesnt disturb them...my mil washes only hers and my dh vessels after eating leaving all other vessels. i felt very depressed and started eating the same vessel eaten by my dh whisch she washed.... so now she was shocked that if she washes i will eat in that...either way tit for tat....afterall how come mils r so possessive about silly things.
    3.dont leave ur dh and mil together even for 1 second asmuch as possible..i know we get pissed of their crirticizing dialogues which they leave so that we leave that place .( if u leave like that it is going to be danger to ur future...from personal experience)\
    4. first prioritise ur feelings which makes u happy...and get hold of all te things and mainly first of all get hold of ur baby.

and all these things will work when u totally confirm that ur husband is trying to balance but cannot find a solution for it...dont tell any complaints about ur mil directly to ur dh....give her replies whenever possible.... and when ur dh asks tell him that u didnt say it...

i know , it will be tough for us to do these things but we have to...im in learning period...i have no regrets about playing games with these types of mils . they r totally ruling our lives....wheich will make us depressed and health will get ruined....then think about our kids....who will take care......so try to express ur feelings whichever possible way coolly.. so that we r helped ourselves to atleast think about our kids and future of them....

let me know after reading my posts what u feel....
    i feel these r life phase until we become bold, once we become no one can touch our minds.....its my experience.

1 person likes this.
  9. karuna17

karuna17 New IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies
    i know, i started fighting back coz her taunts are effecting my health
    and why should i feel bad about it?
    am trying fighting for my existance and its a law by nature that every living being does.
    so. i stopped feeling guilty.

If my husband is angry, let him be...i wont care as he should learn how to take care of wife
    he promised that he ll give me good life and he has to give it.
    let him learn...

if i keep quiet, thats obvious that they both will be happy but i wont be...
    if i raise my voice, for a while , they might find it different but later they ll adjust.
    this is what i thought and started fighting back

my husband is still bit moody though he didnt scold me directly but am not taking it seriously.
    when he is lacking in commitment why i should be so serious in giving him happy peaceful life.
    relation should be from both the sides
    am not scare about my future as well...i already asked my husband to leave me since an year ...but he is not accepting.
    he s saying he cant leave as his family is very respectful in society.

2 people like this.
  10. a16s

a16s New IL'ite

karuna,

I support your thinking. MIL's continue taunts either ways, when you are patient or when you backanswer.
    Its better to concentrate on your health.