1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In-Laws or Out laws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mathangikkumar, Aug 9, 2012.

1. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Before any one go ahead with reading this piece please remember whatever I have written is from the happenings around me in close quarters.
    So there may be some reactions but they are all each one's perception.I do not blame the DIL nor MIL

Where is the joint family where it was a close knit family in all respects?

Now a days leaving out the husband everyone is an attachment in the new system. The current trend is to find out who is going thro' 'saat pheras' with an attachment of M-I-L and F-I-L.(mil, fil).Though living in a joint family was an 'in 'thing in our times, it surprises me my own generation people - a matter of 4,6 years difference thinking of staying with the mil and fil a burden.You are ready to accept the man aka son as your life partner but you do not want the one who gave the life partner to be with you?

We , were brought up in a joint family and it never got into our head to separate the husband or mil and fil away from the family. Rather it was a blessing in disguise to be in the company of elders who can guide us. What's happening now?

Those who have many sons do not have any problem and like a foot ball they can keep going to wherever they are kicked to, what about those who have one or two?Here it's like the divide and stay policy, 6 months here 6 months there,if that 6 months happens to be abroad, quoting the weather , they can cut short their in-laws stay, and naturally they have to came back. If the parents happen to possess property, or land the sharing will go smoothly as the carrot type property is the bait and holding thread for the parents.
    Anticipating the acquiring wealth, the DIL is ready to bear with the in-laws. But by mistake if the property is divided while they are alive and or no property, the scenario changes. From what I hear and see, a mother-in-law divided all her assets like gold and silver among the daughters and daughters -in-law after a decade of her husband's demise. . And when the time came for the mother -in-law to attend an important social function, she was left with no ornaments to adorn her neck or arms. I felt the DIL should have offered a chain or so to her MIL. How selfish these DAUGHTERS-IN-LAWS are.

The irony is some of the daughters- in -law have openly expressed their heart to their co -sisters,' how can you live with in laws, I cannot keep them for more than a week', I can't stand them breathing thro' their neck.Once in a while it's ok'.
    I found out this is a case where the DIL do not have a brother in the house, more of sisters and there is no chance of having a brother's wife to see how her mother is treated by her brother's wife..Experience is the best teacher.
    Nor do I say those who have brothers treat their in-laws well, and it's not always the case with all. In some cases only one son takes care of the parents and others expect it as the duty of the eldest son to do so, which is not correct. When the property is divided it's divided equally among all the children and when the talk of keeping them comes all try to look the other way. Why is it so?
    At least my generation people have many siblings, but what would happen to people of my generation who have one son and one daughter or two daughters, two sons or one daughter/ son? Where to go? No wonder the Old Age Homes are finding a place in the search engine .Wherever the DIL are ill treating their in-laws, one thing is clear by maintaining silence the son / s are also equally responsible for it, and share the sin.
    In some cases, the sons give the authority to their better half,just to get peace of mind in the family, but that should not be the case , whack wherever necessary and there is always a solution to problems unless one becomes the problem.

12 people like this.

2. geetharao

geetharao Gold IL'ite

Hello Ma'am,

A very valuable reading.......

This is an usual thing happening which I am observing frequently. The worst part is the girls are not accepting the boys who are staying with their parents. And their parents are supporting them. Lots of incidents are happening in our community where the girls and their parents referring the groom's parents as "rahu" and "ketu" and asking the middle men whether they are present in photos or physically. Really gets annoyed when one hears such words.

Regards,
    Geetha Rao

1 person likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Where to go? How about the same place where old folks with only daughters go?

Why all this hue and cry over how will a generation of old folks manage, when for centuries folks with no sons have been managing?

"Whack wherever necessary"? Wow! Husbands are being advised to whack wives? A very Taliban'esque solution, if you ask me (or even if you don't).

DILs are not born heartless and don't enter marriage with the sole aim of turning parents-in-law destitute. Blame the system, Ma'am. If parents of both the man and the woman have equal right to care and support from their married child, the DIL will support her spouse in taking care of his parents, and the son-in-law will support his spouse in taking care of her parents. Win-win.

On an unrelated note, what is so wrong with old-age homes? In India, they may be not as well-managed yet, and only those with few other choices end up there, but in some countries, folks prefer to live in old-age homes, aka retirement communities or assisted living, rather than be a burden on married child at the busiest stage of their lives.

P.S. Old age homes are there in the search engines so parents with only daughters can find them. You know.. folks with no sons also grow old, they also need care and support, they don't just disappear into the sunset after the kanyadaan and bride/groom drive away in a car covered with red roses.

4. sbmat

sbmat Bronze IL'ite

hi ,
    it is a valuable read but at the same time it is only one side of the story.
    nowadays dils are treated more of an outsider (if you have read recent posts from other ils ).there is no acceptance of the dil as an individual.with educated dils everybody has their own way of living and hence there is a preference to stay away from inlaws.also what is important is for pils is to relax rules .why joint family system is not working bcos it is lacking " patience "from both ends .what treatment you met out to your DIL is also very important in the long run.

sindmani, revjey, Yumna and 4 others like this.
  5. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

hi,

@mathangikkumar,

it was a valuable read about the changing senarios in the world.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us .......

@rihana,

well as far as i can see either it is selective amnesia or selective vision in your reply......

Well everbody has a right to share their view......

I do not think this kind cutting and replying is warranted by anyone......

If you have'nt read please read the quoted text again.........

She has specifically mentioned she doest blame any one side and also this is only based on experience of going on's around her...

I dont care if you have any problem with my reply to u or you considering me a MCP as sometimes i feel that people are going on a hyper attack mode at IL......

Take care
    chow.

1 person likes this.
  6. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

It can be true to some extent but this is just one side of life. There is another side of life where a DIL wants to be good and nice to ILs but she is treated with distrust and suspicion (there can be few DILs who can be bad and mean to ILs but not everyone). For the fact that she married the DS for love is mistaken as money and wealth and even if DIL is well manned, educated, may be working and from good family, still she is accused of stealing the son or marrying for money, or is treated as cleaver/cunning, trying to create conflict between DS and parents and she is expected to be in MIL's control and live her life as per MIL's ideas. She works in office and is not given sympathy for being tired and exhausted but is expected to take care of home, ILs, follow MIL's instructions and make all adjustments to earn the "TRUST" of MIL but is not treated with "RESPECT" as an individual who has her own wishes and parents whom she misses. Instead she is expected to treat her own parents as secondary and ILs as primary. Doesn't she want to be with her parents like ILs want to be with their DS? And those who stand up against this discrimination are termed as ill-mannered, mean and don't know what.

Yes, this also happens in this present day and it is happening. ILs and DIL relationship is a give and take one. One can't expect only one side to make all adjustments and compromises. Just bcoz DIL leaves her home and comes to her DH's home she is expected to make all adjustments which is unfair. ILs also need to be accommodating to the DIL then only things can work smoothly between them.

sindmani, alpine, Kamla and 21 others like this.
  7. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

I understand where you are coming from. But ma'am this is just one side of the story as pointed out by sbmat.

You want to know why the parents of a girl ask whether the guy lives with his parents? Why the guys doing so are being rejected?

Well, ever heard of these:
    1. Dowry
    2. physical abuse for dowry
    3. No independence to do anything
    4. Your parents never taught you anything
    5. I would have never trained you like that, you would have been competent if you were my daughter
    6. Do job to earn + be a masterchef + manage everything + be micromanaged

I dont mean to say that what you say is absolutely wrong. There are cases where good old folks are driven out by insane new wives. But then, why do you choose to ignore the fact that almost all mothers in law want their sons wives to be a goddess. Know cooking, know cleaning, know managing home, know earning, know raising children, know shutting up even if asked to do something which she doesnt like? Now what if I ask Where to go??? MIL thinks I am too modern (because I have independent thinking of my own??), FIL thinks I have to give all the earnings to him to invest in my and DH's name (because I am going to run away someday?? Whatever happened to spending for your own??) DH thinks I dont respect his parents for what he is because of them (while he doesnt understand what I'm becoming what I'm becoming because of them!!)

There are always reactions to certain actions.

If for so many years the MILs have taunted the DILs for dowry and house management and are still doing, why is it bad if the girl wishes to have a husband who stays away from the in laws.

And in my opinion, the reason is that she will love / respect her PIL because they are not always present to micro-manage her and PIL will love / respect her because they dont see their wishes being not fulfilled. It is a win-win as Rihana said.

sindmani, alpine, Genno and 30 others like this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Hey Rihana! I think this is a misunderstanding on your part --- I get the impression that the OP means 'search for a solution as if you were searching for a lost object in tall grass'. The slang usage of 'whack' in the American mafia / gangster sense is not that common even in British usage. :rotfl

9. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

I just have one question

What is wrong with this generation MILs? They don't care about their son's life at all. All they care about it ruining DILs happiness

I know there was a disclaimer in the begining but then the rest of the post was thrown at the face of the new generation. This is a forum where women discuss the issue they are facing. Most of them are genuine and your post will only hurt them.

16 people like this.
  10. mommybird

mommybird Gold IL'ite

Mathangi Ma'm,

Let me see if I can explain this from a selfish DIL point of view. Please let me know what you think because I would like to know answers for my questions from traditional patriarchy upholders. I want to know if am really wrong in thinking the way I do.

In your times, every household will have atleast 4-5 kids and there will be sons in every hosuehold. So, it was accepted that the daughters don't belong to their maternal home and they have to go to ILs house and live there according to their customs. Girls were told everyday about this and raised solely to become good DILs and wives in that order. Girls were taught not to expect close relationships with husband and its ok to only share a room with him when he pleases. Girls were told MIL is important and follow the rules of the house. It was easier for a woman who gets married to accept the following.

1. Abuse/scoldings from ILs and insults because they expected it.
    2. They were silent and did not retaliate to any insult because this is what they were taught. Dont talk back to your MIL.
    3. Thank your gods if your husband earns decent money, does not smoke,drink, or have other affairs. Love, understanding is not necessary. You anyways don't spend the days with him so what difference does it make?
    4. Learn the ways of your MILs family and forget your Parental home. This is what good DILs too. Your brothers can take care of your parents.

Fast forward to our times. Women education and earning capacity has increased 1000 fold compared to your generation, but expectations from women have changed just 5%.

Our parents have 1 or max 2 kids. If one is lucky, they get a Son. The ones who hit jackpot get 2 Sons. Their future is safe. Their old age is fine. Now..How about the ones who have got two daughters or one daughter? How do they manage this situation. If this was the situation earlier days, it was the norm to adopt a Son. This thought is obsolete now. So, what will happen to those unfortunate souls who have only daughters?

Now, my next point is not about parents at all. Its about the selfish DILs you talk about. The normal middle class girl is almost as educated as the husband and earns almost as much. She is well educated, her parents have taught her that she is inferior to none and is an intelligent identity by herself and she need not be dependent on anyone. Lets take my case and cases I see in close quarters. None of our parents gave us the lessons your generation girls received because we weren't expected to experience all that. Now, I get married.

1. My MIL ridicules my upbringing and parents and my culture. Please let me know a girl who is like me who does not understand why a MIL has the right to ridicule her will talk back and not want to live with ILs. Why am I wrong here? Please enlighten me.

2. Let us assume MIL does not ridicule me and she is decent. I want to have a better relationship with my husband more than just sharing his room. ( Credit - Ohara) I was made to believe that the relationship my mother or most of whom I know in her age group share with their spouses is not great and I wanted a close knit relationship with my husband which is more than being his roommate. I was brought up in false notion of loving your husband is more important than worshipping your MIL. This relationship is not possible in a Joint family - So am I wrong in wanting a Nuclear family for my peace and happiness and for maintaining a good relationship with ILs?

Please tell me what are your thoughts on this and we shall continue this conversation. Thanks

1 person likes this.