1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why always talk about pain?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sbonigala, Mar 9, 2012.

1. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Good morning all the beautiful ladies out there!!!Friday – Guess all of you are already in the “Friday evening mood” though it’s just late morning or rather early noon.
    As I go through various posts on IL, I sometimes wonder, why all this pain, why all this suffering, this tears. There are a very few posts here after reading which the readers heart could smile. I definitely agree that the forum is meant to share the pains and pleasures alike, but again I see more of pain being shared than the pleasures.

There are cases where DIL is so unhappy about MIL. Reason – MIL occupies the space between the couple. MIL wants money from DH/DH sending money to parents. SIL coming in between the couple/talking more to DH. There are responses for these kinds of issues. “Stand up for yourself”, “make your way clear to them” “Just Ignore, they are like that” “Surely you must do something to avoid your hubby giving gifts/money etc to his family”. There are other issues like “MIL grabbing my kiddo”; MIL sharing my jewels; MIL doesn’t help me in kitchen. And responses include “put ur kid in day care”; “u don’t do the entire work, then she would understand and finally help u “; “Whoa!! How can she share your jewels!! Avoid it NOW!!”

Every time I read such posts, the first thing that comes to my mind is “What is the origin of the DH?? Is it not from these MILs that we got our DH? Had she not been there from where would our DH arrive into this world? Having known our kids for only a few yrs/months, we want them to be with us all the time when we are at home, then how much more that lady who gave her best in nurturing an infant into a man, would wish that he should be with her always, After all, what’s wrong on that expectation? When she asks for money why such a fuss about it. Doesn’t she have the right to reap the fruits of what she has sown?? What’s the issue if she asks/demands? Its, we, DILs who came into the family newly and just because we hold the position of wife, doesn’t mean we have the ownership of our man to an extent where we decide how he should treat his parents. I understand marriage as a shared responsibility to take care of parents. We need DH but not the lady who gave us DH.

What’s such a big deal if DH and his sis want to spend some time together?? They have grown up together and surely they have a better idea about each other than what we have on then individually!! Dont we love to spend time with our siblings!! Can’t we be friends with SILs?? What happens if MIL takes care of her grandson? At the end of the day it’s YOUR kid. No one can deny that. What’s wrong in letting her have the fun of spending time with her grandson? It’s much better than leaving the kid at daycare.

Sharing jewels is big deal for us!!! Don’t we share it with our moms! Why then this discrimination with MIL. I agree a mother in law can never be a mom, but again a DIL can also never be a daughter, though we claim that we take care of our MIL just like how we deal with our moms. If that’s the real case then there should be no issues on IL at all. Heart in heart we know what we are!!! We can’t cheat our conscience.

Why were such issues not there with our parents?? Why with us?? Have they not lived with their in-laws? Have they not spent their entire lives in joint families with 2-3 BILs and 2-3 SILs? They too had these issues. In spite of that they all were happy as a family. How was that possible? Why are we failing to have an hour of peaceful time though we live in nuclear families?

Earlier when our moms had any issues and when they discussed it with others (preferably with elders and rarely with their(our moms) own age group), the solutions were towards construction of the bond. Why don’t we take the advice of elders at home? Because we know that they ask us to adjust; we are not ready for this. So we seek response from younger generation (if I may say so) which says “Ignore/fight back”. Why ignore or fight back? Why not try to put ourselves in their shoes and understand the reality from their view!! Why always fight for rights?? Why forget our responsibility. Is it not a DIL responsibility to make in-laws peaceful/happy and merrier apart from giving all kind of support/pleasure to DH? Though there are older ILites, they usually keep off in responding to such issues pertaining to family problems or rather relationship issues because they know that their advice won’t be taken by the current generation which cannot understand the thin line between self respect and ego. Often we mistake one for the other and land up in issues. If we understand that, I feel, the problems will be lesser.

I am sure I will get many responses for my post and most of them will have, ”not all MIL are same” / “it’s easy to say than to do” / “do u mean to forget our self respect” etc. But this is what I feel and it’s purely MY opinion by which I live. Everybody has a right to have their opinion and so do I.

P.S: I am married for 7 years(nter religion marriage as many of u already know (he is a catholic - i WAS a hindu brahmin , converted to christianity 7 yrs ago PURELY ON MY CHOICE); a working mom of 2 kids (4.5yrears and 9 months old) Have been living with in-laws since day1 of marriage and have been a part of joint family with 2 elder married BILs and others (14 people including kids). We moved to a different city for work purpose and we look forward to go back home.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    23 people like this.

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi shallu!
    i really liked your post!
    even i feel a lot of time we see a lot of negativity about relationship with in laws in IL . i am a new member and started using the site because i have taken a career break to enjoy the married life with my husband.
    i am in a inter religion ,inter state , inter language marriage. so u can sense my apprehension about how would my relationship with in laws turn out to be.i had my own share of doubts and fears so much so that one day before marriage i told my mom, i think its a wrong decision with so much differences i dont know how would it work out?
    my mom being in a inter caste marriage herself gave me a really good advice which i follow till date. she told you are going in a new family where nothing is going to be similar but if u have prejudices and some preconceived notions u will never be happy. have a open mind. learn to accept things as they come and remember that how people behave with u is a reflection of ur behavior towards them !
    i wont say married life has been a bed of roses but its also a road of thorns.
    when we married my mil was insecure about how will my dh behave with them ,my dh was very adamant to marry me and although my in laws had no prob as they liked me but they had their concerns. so i felt it was my duty also to make them feel that i am not grabbing their DS or DB ! when my dh came from office i made sure we spend some time with his parents. we would watch tv , although i dont understand tamil but still i had no prob when they put sun tv as i took it as a opportunity to learn tamil only :)
    even in food or other things when our opinions dont match i would not try to take it negatively! i had no problems in learning to do her pooja , going to temple or even learning about their customs and when they also realised that i wont change their ds they started going to my place of worship . so on sat we go to temple and sun to my place !
    my dh gives money to his parents , but whats wrong in it ? they are his parents also, i have a brother my self tomorrow when he marries i dont expect him to cut off all his ties with us , so how i can i expect my dh to do so ?
    a lot of my friends say i am a fool :hide: and should be more firm with dh also that i take way too much care of my in laws but the things is i don't do it because im scared of society or my in laws, its because i feel real happiness can be achieved only with ur loved ones.
    my dh gets very happy when he sees me making all the efforts , his happiness gives me happiness and by god's grace i am in a family where my efforts are appreciated and my in laws always praise me in front of everyone. in fact at times they are so protective about me that when someone says dont u feel bad u son married an outsider ( thats how lots of ppl say ) , they say no we are very happy ! but that has not come in one day!
    it takes years to built a relationship and moment of furry to destroy everything !

9 people like this.
  3. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

We talk about pain because we actually have pain, a pain which is unable to express or explain, this is the only forum when I visited and saw the posts I understood that I am not the only one, and this the place where I might be listened, where someone will understand me. Maybe in real life I have no friends to share my grievances or no one who can understand all that problems, but after coming here I found there are so many virtual friends who would understand me.

Problem is not the expectation of in-laws, problem is with their attitude, behavior, emotional manipulation & abuse towards dil, which any dil would find hard to express. For eg: mil grabbing kid, if a women express it to someone, then maybe someone like you say that if u can't stay without your little kid, how could she stay without her 30 year old son, now when someone make such strong argument, which in reality makes no sense, but this argument will attract the people of society & will be used for emotional blackmailing to all helpless dils, this helpless dils will have no option and can't explain her grievances to anybody. Here mil spending time with kid is not an issue, the real issue is the subtle manipulation and evil intention of mil behind doing this, which dil easily understand or get the intuition about the intention of mil, but this is such an issue which dil neither can stand nor express to anyone. And this helpless dil, due to this helplessness, either become so aggressive, go into depression or gets frustrated. Now you will ask wht bad intention mil might have, I can explain 1000 of reasons but can't write here, I can also reply to your all other arguments, my own thread is pending to reply, but when I saw this post I preferred to reply it first, as of now I need to go. I will try to get back to your post. But only and only remember one thing, that people who come here may not have time to write their life story or may not want to bore others, so they just write the point thats bothering them, or they are unable to write and express properly and write the post in a way that people might misunderstand them and ladies in the same shoe understand them well and help them accordingly. Do not judge anyone like this just based on their posts, you can only know one's situation in you are in the same situation.

5 people like this.
  4. sbonigala

Thanks Rissy for your time - inspite of having many pending threads, you chose to respond to mine.

Had you read the post fully, you would have seen the final lines before P.S mentioning that it is my opinion and everyone can have their own!! I never claimed i am right nor did i say posters are wrong. I thought i had some freedom on posting my views here. Thats all.

Again, i never agrued. please try to take things otherwise too. those were just MY OPINIONS. neither did i post an argumentative reply to any post nor did i start an argument here. again those are just my opinions and u may/may not agree to it. but they are certainly not arguments.

I never judged any one. If expressing an opinion becomes a judgement, then there is no use of having forums i believe.

There is a response from cutemonster. How could she take it positive. There are people who understand the crux of the post.
    Let me tell you again, please avoid thinking negative from the beginning itself and start blaming peole as judgemental/make no sense types. We are all matured enough/well educated. lets take each others opinions with respect.

Happy weekend.

-Shalu.

1 person likes this.
  5. sbonigala

I never intended at the real serious issues like abuse,hitting/blackmailing/dowry cases etc that exist in families.
    There are many newly married gals around who find it difficult to adjust in in-laws place due to petty issues mentioned in the post.

If the moderators feel that this is "argumentative/judgemental/etc., they always have the right to move it or rather delete it.

Regards,
    Shalu.

6. PriyaDominic

PriyaDominic Gold IL'ite

Shallu !!
    kudos to your post in fact it made lot of sense.

1 person likes this.
  7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Possessiveness on both sides cause trouble.

4 people like this.
  8. swathiudhay

swathiudhay Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shalu,

I am in love with your post and you have spoken my heart...Most of the times we hear only one side of the conversation and believe everything to be true. Only when we hear 2 sides of the problem then only someone can arrive at a proper solution...Let me give an example in my own house.

One of my relative aunt she sacrificed everything for her children(we have seen her sacrificing) (2 sons). Now both the sons are in good positions and are in US and German and earning good money. Now the sons understand their mothers sacrifice and the mom feels that her responsibility is done now and wants to enjoy her life now. She goes on foreign tours, buys jewels etc from sons money. Here the wife may feel why should my hubby spend so much on his mother but what she fails to see is the mother has sacrificed a lot to make her son what he is now and now she wants to enjoy what she lost. I really dint feel anything wrong in this; common she has sacrificed soo much why can she be happy now is my question?
    (Here if this DIL comes and post she will say all about how her MIL is enjoying her life by making her son spend; again we all will hear to one side story of DIL and we give suggestions)

After this i was wondering if i have a son and i struggle my whole and sacrifice everything to make my son a doctor...and in case i fall ill and cost is high and my son wants to treat me...will my DIL object to this as the treatment will be free for me? Can i enjoy the ripeness of the fruit for which i sacrificed my whole life in times of needy...

PS: I am sorry if i have hurt someone...but this is reality

5 people like this.
  9. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi swathi!
    what u said is so true ! sometimes see only one side of the story.
    see when we marry either we expect our in laws to be ultra kind and accept us with open arms and make us the star of their life so else many more who hear all negative talks about mil and sil believe that from day one that mil is all a devil and they have to be firm and rigid and try to keep their dh to them !
    why cant we just be neutral ?
    i agree some people really have to face a lot of trauma and come here to vent out their anger, hurt and frustration but sometimes things get carried away !
    its wrong to be too possessive and it holds both for dil as well as mil !
    i am sure here also a lot of members might say we can say so as we are blessed to have a good family !
    anyways for me people say i m a die hard optimistic and always see the glass half full !

1 person likes this.
  10. veronica123

veronica123 Bronze IL'ite

I guess it depends on not only your mindset,also on your MIL mindset.

I take my case for example,Ours is Love/Arranged marriage.After marriage,we were planning to go on HM trip,instead my MIL insisted on going for 10 days Pilgrimage tour, just to make her feel comfortable and happy,we canceled our HM and we went there. All thru the trip,my MIL and SIL were hugging my husband and holding his hands etc,I am not saying its wrong,when a new member comes to the family and all she knows there is DH and that trip was supposed to be their HM and even then they didn't spare me.In fact,me and my DH could not even be left alone for few minutes. I think all this is because of the insecurities.

This is just incident to start with and there are so many incidents in my/every one's life. The problem here is, MIL/SIL will be having lots of expectations and on the DS/DB, at the same time time when a girl enters in their son/bro life,many people can't take it well, as they will feel that girl will take away their son..in turn all that insecurities will be shown in different situations and off course will hurt the girl's feelings(as when she gets married,she has her own thoughts/expectations)...and because of this,huge fights/misunderstandings...If the guy can't handle them properly,thats it,its a messy house:)

One thing I have realized from various posts in the forum is You cannot change anyone in this world and hence change yourself, thats why i guess I keep seeing lots of advice on "Hang on" or "Ignore" etc.

Age/experience should get the maturity to a person,whether its MIL/DW/SIL/DH anyone, but unfortunately,most of cases it does not happen with MIL/SIL..don't no why:)....But at least what we can do is not to become like one,when our son gets married.

Again,these are my 2 cents.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.