1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ladies - Give your opinion on this - Is demanding gifts isn't dowry?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by rissy, Jan 5, 2012.

1. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

My only reference to Monita was, do not harrass your son's wife thinking this judgement will protect you. You believe otherwise, so be it, let Monita take a call on it :). I am only trying to explain what law is, not how it can be broken.
    Now how law should be is ofcourse an open ended debate.

So you agree the laws are misused by females and do not want them to be misused by males :).

Here is a test I follow and encourage people to think. Just replace man with woman, reverse the scenario and see does how justified the scenario is. In absensce of this judgement, a man and his parents would get life term, if a newly wedded wife died in an accident and her parents had given a bracelet to her son.
    Consider the reverse: A wife is convicted if his newly wed husband dies in a hit and run road accident, and the man's parents had given a bracelet to their grandchild. Makes any sense?

This is the insensitivity of society towards male victims of domestic violance. We 'laugh' at them. This is one reason male victims hesitate to come out, they do not get sympathy and there is ofcourse no law to protect them. If males were not suffering from DV, women organizations should not have any problem in making DV gender nuetral, if no wife commits offense no wife would ever go to jail. I don't blame you for your insensitivity towards male victims as most society is like that. Deep inside this is the psyche that "men are strong and shall fend for themselves. If females are victims we should help, if males are we can laugh off, they are strong".

SIFF or any no other NGO has any authority to advise government on law. There is a bigger and clearer judgement from Supreme Court where it has asked the government to amend the law as it is causing 'legal terrorism' and is being used for purpose different from what it is designed. SIFF is only pushing for government to take action on that order and review it with legal experts.

I believe I have answered the main concern of OP, as to what is the reasoning of SC behind this order.

2. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Wow - this is another addition to the matrimonial ads - "Tall, slim, fair, attractive, 5 digit salary and should be williing to gift inlaws now and then".

1 person likes this.