1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL - DH phone conversations..!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by invisible, Jun 7, 2011.

1. invisible

invisible New IL'ite

I always wondered what topics MIL and DH talk about over the phone...! It would be really useful for us to know how our experienced and wise MILS keep their conversations with their sons engaging. Have anyone overheard these conversations and what were the topics of these..? MILS know just how to get their dear sons attention and push all the right buttons..!

I think we should make a list of these topics so they can be helpful to all the DILS here..!

( please no bullys or haters or attackers)

here is my list -

1. SIL is a superwoman. She does so much work and her DH dosent lift a finger around the house. I must do more mork and Dh should not help me with household chores.

2.DH has become so weak and thin. Its because I dont give him enough bournvita,ghee,salt and pickles.

3.The guilt trip = It was so hard to give birth to Dh. It was even harder to bring him up.How much she has suffered/sacrifeced/given DH.

4. Its pay back time= my MIL makes up imaginary bible quotes which talk about how you need to take care of parents/worship them.

5.How badly she needs money and FIL is so stingy with her. ( she spends all her money on chemical peels and microdermabrasions and botox)

6.How great DH is and could have got 2 crores dowry.And can get it even now inspite of having 2 kids.

7. Im leading a queens life and dont deserve it SILS ILS and DH torturing them and I deserve the same.

8. Dont spend too much money on your kids.

9.The good ole days - We were so happy together as a family. I wish SILS you and me live together again.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    5 people like this.

2. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

My MIL lives with us now.But when she wasn't, the conversation was mostly about:
    -her health( she is so sick, she was going to die soon)
    -FIL's health(he is old, and shouldn't be having to do anything)
    - Her age( she is old and she cannot do anything.)
    - Neighbours( how neighbours' sons live with them and take care of them)
    - relatives( what they say about us)
    -SILs ( how their ILs are troubling them)
    -SILs( their financial problems)
    -My health(all my health problems are because of my own mistakes)
    - me ( what a useless person I am who cannot take care of me, my family and my home)

P.S.- I didn't get the hint.

3 people like this.
  3. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

my reply also would be somewhat similar to monita's.

topics(in order of priority):
    MIL ( her health in minute details) - generally for 60% of the call
    Health of other family members incase they are not well at that time
    SIL( her problems with inlaws and how they trouble her)
    Relatives : any latest gossip abt relatives, or how well they treat her when she visited them etc etc
    cosis/ BIL : she makes some digs at my cosis praising me comparing to her , which I am not impressed with bcos she repeats the same there..
    me: generally do not discuss me much I think bcos my DH gets irritated soon and my MIL dees not know how he may react...

2 people like this.
  4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Please add to your list
    Conversations between married DD and her Mom who burn up the telephone wires wherever they may reside.

3 people like this.
  5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

You are right. Now that my MIL lives with us. She has to call her DDs everyday. But the talk is quite different. When she talks to the DDs it's about how much poor DD has to work, how bad their ILs are, my MIL has a nervous break down if my SIL has to spend more than a week with her ILs.
    About me and my mother- I don't talk that much because my mother lectures me all the time that I should look after my MIL because my DH is an only son and girls married to only sons have no option but to suffer. Bad luck. Bad Karma.
    Anyways this thread is about DH and MIL.

6. VidBala

VidBala Bronze IL'ite

Believe it or not.. I had a BIGG smile when I looked at the title (heading).

Oh my god.. MILs are going to be the same even if Sun becomes Moon.

My MIL doesnt stay with us .. only my unmarried BIL (MIL mould) is staying with us..

In my home.. my MIL usually calls my DH in office hours. She used to talk to him for altest 30 mins, twice a day and after he returns back home, they used to have a very brief (yes, you read right, very-brief) talk. Now the topics, am not very sure what they talk while he is in office.. but at home (yeah, I missed this... MIL used to call most of the times) (and also, DH will get his phone call only between 10:00 pm and 11:45pm - btw, we got married 1.4 yrs back - and we consider ourselves newly weds :)),

Oh yeah, the topics,

what chittti said to her, how chittappa treated her.. wat the other neighbour told her.. wat she said in return.. blamming us for not keeping money in track, wat my BIL is doing (My BIL stays with us!!) , if he had his food, if he had his milk (oh yeah, he is a infant in preschool), how big was his milk tumbler, Is he drinking his complan regularly, :rotfl(oh mudiyala ennala!!!) did we by any chance go outside.. if yes, then for wat, if we ate anything outside.. if yes, why I dint cook at home.. If we went for a movie, if yes, why are we wasting time and money..then.. the usual daily talks..so on and such on..

And, now comes the twist!!!

MIL will now call my BIL and will ask similar questions to him randomly..

Now, the climax,

Both my DH's answers and BIL's answers should match :hide:.. If not, she will become very furious.. and will .. (I dont know seriously wat she will do .. coz my DH will cover up for his DM..)

These things were bothering me too much during my early stage of marriage, but nowadays (very slowly) I am trying to avoid to listen to wat they talk..(Secret!! But I am tempted heavily to listen / overhear.. )
    And also have stopped asking my DH "wat did aunty say" "did aunty call you today"

so, moral of the story!!!

Let MIL talk watever she wants to her DS on phone / in person..

BUT - Make sure .. you pretend not to listen / bother / get annoyed/ pretend you are burried in household work / fiddle with your fone & pretend to msg someone / (most important) DONT LOOK WORRIED OR offended !!

Lesson in 1.4 years of marriage!!! (More lessons to come!!)

:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    5 people like this.
  7. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

I prefer not to dwell too much into what they talk and like to stay out of it if possible.

From what I've observed they talk more about health, finance, their other children, grandchildren, relatives (health, weddings, etc), friends, travel plans & of course me (nothing bad just general enquiry about how I'm doing, etc)!

8. arty2010

arty2010 Bronze IL'ite

Few I have seen

-First of all, timing is important. Try to call during office hours so I will not be around. Unfortuntealty, dh is busy at work and does not take personal calls. But she NEVER stops trying:biglaugh
    - Dont enquire about me. she wants to spend quality time with ds. no distractions.
    - Only speak of the things he needs to know about what she does. If she does shopping or goes on happy trips she will not mention. She will only mention doctor visits and how "boring" and "duty-bound" her life is. luckily, dh knows mom well.
    - how my cosis troubles her and how her parents are. what better and accomodating parent she is when compared to them.
    - when she wants more attention, she will try to compare elder son with him. :bonk come on, dh is not 5 yrs old now. compariosn is a very old tactic but in desperation she tries.
    - Never ask about my parents.
    - remind him of his responsibilities towards his mom and other family members.
    - remind him how sweet and gullible he is and should not allow me to take advantage of his sweetness:idea
    -ask for things but also imply that whether i will be okay with him giving things to her. 2 birds with one stone. Get what you want and at the same time imply beforehand that I will have a problem so dont inform me.
    -whenever possible plant seedlings of doubt about dil to son.
    - how unhappy she is with life in general and how she is happy that her son and DIL are living happily. how magnanimous:bowdown
    Sometimes, I woinder these people have enough ideas to start "soap serial " production company. Only if they were savvy and smart enough to do that :biglaugh

1 person likes this.
  9. karthigai

karthigai New IL'ite

:) this thread make me :)
    here are some
    -my MIL and DH dont talk as much as before. but whenever they call
    the first topic is what did you eat?
    MIL - we had a nice breakfast pongal, chutney, sambar
    DH- we had Dosa sambar only
    MIL -oh poor son, how can i eat after hearing this?
    I am like what dosa that bad compared to pongal:idontgetit:
    then after some time she will steer the conversation to how they lived happily together all 3 brothers with PILs before marriage
    DH - :-(

ME - :roll:

2 people like this.
  10. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hahaha..:biglaugh..you made my day invisible...