1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch at inlaws and parents.......do you see the difference???

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by amnice, Nov 8, 2010.

1. amnice

amnice Bronze IL'ite

Not a issue really but this is what happens.

We live in the same city as inlaws and parents. We visit both parents often. Sometimes, when we go shopping we just drop in too. We always ensure we take some snacks or fruits for them.

Going to inlaws place: Hubby calls up and informs them ahead of time if our program is planned. He says we will be there for lunch. Till recently, that meant we need to be there by 10am and I need to prepare lunch for all of us. It does not mean we just go, chit chat and have lunch prepared by MIL. First time, we did not know and we landed there 1pm while we were half way through shopping for the house. It was indeed a shock to find inlaws waiting without MIL cooking any lunch. I immediately put the cooker on and made just rice and dal since we were starving. We had lunch after 2pm that day.

Going to parents place: I call up and inform my mom about our visiting them and having lunch there. We land around noon, have a elaborate meal with some special items that my dh likes and since mom makes extra food so we carry some home for dinner too.

DH observed this difference and nowadays he started telling his parents that we cannot be there at 10 am if our plan is to go for lunch after we finish shopping or othe stuff. If we plan to go early then he informs them and then I go and do the cooking there but otherwise he makes it clear.

Share your side too.....

2 people like this.

2. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

Yeah, I see the difference, but I see nothing wrong in it!!! Both the houses are your houses, your parents, your responsibilities!!

It is just difference in their expectations!!

If you dont want to land up at your in-laws place and cook there, cook a simple meal at home and take it there or take them out for lunch or get a home-delivered lunch...

If you go to your parents house and see that your mom is tired/sick, wont you pull up your sleeves and do all the work!!??

Usually, in Indian scenario, a son-in-law is given extra importance, so your mom makes extra effort... whereas a daughter-in-law is supposed to treat her Parent-in-laws special, so the expectations are from you to make lunch!!!

In my case it happens the other way, my co-sis hates anyone else touching anything in her kitchen, so I happily engage the kids and lay the table, arrange clothes etc when I go to in-laws place!!!

And my husband whenever he visits my parents, first asks them if they need anything from the grocery shop and he will go and buy if required!!!

It is just different situations in different houses - this is a very minor issue - dont make this issue a point of "his parents" and "my parents" unnecessarily ... that would be harmful to your marriage!!!:drowning

Keep smiling
    Harini

1 person likes this.
  3. Akkinenirockz

Akkinenirockz Bronze IL'ite

If you (W/H) start mirroring everything, that wont be "marriage" !

4. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I feel your inlaws behavior is really rude. Inviting somebody to your house for lunch.... and then expect your guests to do all the cooking! :bonk I have never heard/seen/experienced such a thing. If mil doesn't want to cook, she should either not invite anyone over, hire a cook to do the cooking, or suggest going to a restaurant. But not invite guests over and then sit around waiting to be served. Whatever happened to treating guests like gods mentality?

If your dh is fine with his parents setup, let him pitch in and help you with the cooking. That's only fair. Afterall, if guests are expected to make their own food at your inlaws house, then even he's a guest too, right?

If neither you nor dh feel like cooking, offer to take your inlaws out to eat or some pleasent alternative like that.

5. amnice

amnice Bronze IL'ite

Harini, thanks for your response. I have already said it in my original post, the very first line. I dont see this or take it as a serious issue but this is what happens and I wanted to get it to you all and see if anyone is in similar situation.
    Following is from my own OP.

1 person likes this.
  6. amnice

amnice Bronze IL'ite

Asg and akkineni, thanks for your responses.

Here is what happened earlier.

We had doctor's visit and the clinic is near to inlaws place.
    Dh informed them we will be there around 4pm. The doctor consultation was over pretty fast but we got stuck there due to heavy downpour and traffic jam.
    Finally, dh called up and said we will not be going to their house and would return to our place instead since we did not want to take the risk of getting stuck later in the night.
    This is what my MIL said, "we thought anyways you are coming so we were waiting for xyz(my name) to come and make tea for all of us. We did not even have tea since evening".....:spin

Another time, around evening we went after shopping and planned to return home by 7pm. We went there at 4pm and MIL said anyway you are here so prepare dinner and go. See the fun part here, she does not say 'have dinner' and go, it is 'prepare dinner'. If I make dinner there then we surely will have it there even though she does not offer us because it would be late by then but see how it does not come out of her mouth.shakehead

Not once, but each time we go something like this would happen. One time, she mixed onions and besan(chick pea flour) and kept it ready so I would make bajjis for everyone.
    The point is we usually go after shopping or after some work and even I want to have tea made by someone other than me always, but usually end up making for everyone.

Dh noticed all this. I never complained to him because I did not want these petty things to spoil our relationship. Sometimes, when I knew we were going then I would buy some snacks and take so that way it would save me from standing infront of the stove frying bajjis later.

I never brought this up with dh. He himself started making it clear to MIL that if we are there then we are coming to have lunch and not arrive early to make lunch.

I know we should not compare elders with ourselves since we have more energy than them. But, these days when we land there for lunch it will be rice, plain dal and curd and MIL's usual reply to dh when he asks if there is anything else other than this, "Vegetables were over just last evening".
    Acutally none of us mind it and eat whatever is there and infact before leaving we buy some veges and give it to them.
    Dh even asks when we plan to go to their place if they need any groceries or veges.
    But it is funny how everytime she has the same exact thing to say for not making anything else other than plain dal.:biglaugh

OK on the other side, when they come to our place, I make an extra dish just because they are here. And if there is some leftovers which usually there are since I make more out of fear of running out of food and just to make sure we have enough for everyone and if I give that leftover extra food to maid, MIL says I am wasting money and we ie., dh and I dont know the value of money and hardwork.
    She will start her story of how she toiled for the family and only because of her hardwork we are where we stand now....etc etc.
    I understand they worked hard to bring up family but giving extra leftover food to fellow human being, my maid who so happily will take it is wasting money????......I am yet to figure out HOW..???

OK one more thing before I close this post.

One time, inlaws were ordering pulses especially toor daal in large quantity since the rate was pretty low if you order lumpsum. So, I told them to order for us too. That was my foolishness for which I regretted later.

As I told them so they ordered for us too. And then MIL told me the amount we owe them. I went in and looked in my purse and there was not enough money so I told dh. He said he will take care of it. I told MIL to give us a weeks time to repay them.
    After couple of days there was a function at SIL's house and MIL had to gift SIL. She said she wanted to gift me a saree too but asked me to buy from the money we owe her for the toor daal......:drowning
    I was shocked. Really, she need not gift me at all since the ceremony was at SIL's but instead she wanted to remind me the money we owe her this way.
    She could not wait even for couple of days and had to bring it up this way, I thought and regretted my foolishness to have money dealings with her.....:bonk:bonk

Is there anybody in the same boat with me here????......:hide:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  7. sng

sng Senior IL'ite

Yes,

I m with u in same boat. I am sure if I would have been visiting her every weekend it would be same story..

even now also..I have to take flight to their place so last time we started from our home arround 4am ..and for that too we woke up arround 3 am and we landed to her place arround 10 am...still she had not prepared breakfast and asked us to have some fruits..becz she just washed veges only ... see...That too I was with 1.6 yrs old kid...she was also hungry by that time and wanted to have some chapati in bk...I just saw the situation ...made knot on my duppata...and started cutting vegs...prep chapati...and hanged her cloths which FIL just washed from dryer...She was taking bath during that time..She has no extra prep...she asked DH to buy vegs an same day as everything was finished last evening

But difference is my DH will never see these things...He feels they r old thats why they need help in everything and becz of me they r not living with us ..otherwise this is the time for us to take care of them..:bonk..I know she is not that much old now ...he might be right later on but surely not now....Just see the speed when my co-sis landed from USA...She made a veggis speedily for her and as it was running out I was asking her permission to make dal with it while making chapati...u know what she said yah just make dal...but pls speak slowly otherwise what my cosis will think that mummy made vegs in so less quantity...:hide:,,,I was shocked at that time...and she gave her food with that veggs but we ate with dal

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Lunch at inlaws: I liked the sambar rice

Lunch at parents: I liked the rasam

Whoever serves us lunch, they are great :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  9. sita2223

sita2223 Bronze IL'ite

I don't have much experience in this topic as we haven't visited my parents or in-laws in India since our wedding.

Although... I do have experience of when in-laws visited us. Well... first day I tried to do everything on my own and serve them, but sadly the breakfast I made didn't turn out to be quite good (as I was not used to prepare traditional Indian breakfast, we are used to cereals-type breakfast)... anyways, FIL didn't like it and was angry, MIL then fixed it as much as she can and from day 2, she started helping me out in the kitchen... well... actually it was me helping her out as she knows how FIL likes his food, so I didn't want to experiment. I used to cut and clean and stand in the kitchen chatting with her, while she used to teach me recipes and give me tips... I loved the experience, even though she kept negating everything I did, 'not small plate, big plate'...'not big plate, small plate', etc... I still loved it. When the dishes were piled up, she used to start cleaning them and I had to literally snatch them off her hands and clean myself. Sometimes when she wouldn't budge, I would stand next to her and clean with water while she applies soap. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised that she was so willing to help me in the kitchen.

4 people like this.
  10. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Amnice,
    Some people consider their DILs as their servants. I think your ILs fall in that category. In my case, not only my MIL, but also all her relatives consider me their maid servant.When we were in India, Whenever I was visiting them, they were like oh now she is here, so she will do the cooking or make tea because she is the bahu. I obviously avoided visiting them and they always complained that we do not visit them often.:biglaugh

My experience of visiting parents/inlaws.

Visit to inlaws( in the past.My MIL lives with us now)- the moment I land, I go into the kitchen, serve water etc. to everyone. My MIL asks me if we want to eat something.( we usually land late at night and we have already eaten in the flight) Next morning she starts ordering me to prepare what she wants to eat for breakfast, elaborate meals that require lots of preparation. All our stay is the same, she demands me to cook her favourite dishes. She has a full time cook but she wants me to cook when I am there.

Visit to parents(even if it's without DH)- My mother has already prepared something special. (Although she doesn't have any outside help and she hates cooking). For later meals for the rest of our stay, she asks my DS, what he wants to eat and put all her efforts to cook his favourite foods. I try to stop her from doing it, but she really wants to please her grandson. Sometimes, my father gets special food from outside. Sometimes I cook for them.

I guess the big difference is that one is a boy's mother and the other a girl's and some people actually(like another poster above) do not see anything wrong with how they behave differently.