1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is my cousin jealous of me?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sadwife, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Hi.

I am very close with my cousin.
    She's atleast 12 years older than me.

She's married and has a kid.
    I am married too.
    We used to talk over the phone atleast 4 times a week, and each call will be more than an hour. We talk about our family, in laws, cooking, movies, anything and everything that comes to our mind.

Most of the conversations will be about her in laws.
    She will either praise some of her in laws or have some complains about the rest of them.
    I patiently listen to everything she says and sometimes give my views too.

The problem is she doesn't listen when I talk about my in laws (which I don't do often), especially when I say good things about them. Like my hubby's cousin getting good results and getting a scholarship to do medicine, his niece being quite smart for her age, when I talk bout his cousins weddings, etc.

Why is that so?
    Is she jealous since my hubby's cousins, nieces and nephews are so much more intelligent than her daughter and her husband's nieces and nephews?

She would talk about her husband's side wedding for hours, telling each and every little detail. But when I start something about my hubby's cousin's wedding, she will cut the conversation and talk something else.

Hubby's cousin scored straight A's and her hubby's nephew just got 1 or 2 A's. She was talking about him not getting place in good universities. I told bout my hubby's cousin getting a government scholarship to do medicine. My cousin just changed the topic. She didn't even appreciate the girl for doing very well but when she hears about others doing well in exams she'll appreciate and praise them a lot.

Even when I say something about my husband, she immediately changes the topic and it's very obvious.

Could it be because my hubby is quiet and shy?
    He hardly talks to any of my cousins or relatives and this makes them think hubby is not a good guy, egoistic, etc?

In fact there was once she did mention about her husband's niece's husband (they got married recently) that he's a good guy since he came looking for her and talked to her nicely even at a big function. She says that's respect.

Say her husband's side ppl get married to someone who has a rich relative overseas, she would in a sarcastic tone as me whether my hubby has a rich relative overseas.

I am being very nice to her and consider her as my own sister.
    I don't understand why is she doing this to me?
    It hurts me when she avoids talking about my hubby.

Now, I have decided not to mention anything about my hubby and in laws to her.
    Will only say something if she happens to ask anything about them, in fact she'll ask in a 'don't like so' tone.
    I have also reduced calling her now.

Can anyone please advice on this scenario?
    I can't do the same to her, I mean like avoiding the conversations bout her husband and in laws since I think it's my nature not to hurt others even when they hurt me. :drowning

Sometimes I think of not giving so much importance to our relationship (cousin and me) since she doesn't seem to like my hubby, and anyone who doesn't like my hubby can get lost from my life. But I consider her as my own sister since I have no sisters and would like to be close with her forever, atleast my children will have an aunt and cousin.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010

2. jyothigandham

jyothigandham New IL'ite

Hi HappyWife

I read through your post and I have something different to say. Consider the following:

1. Maybe she is just not the person who has a patient ear! I mean I have had friends in the past who talked for 2-3 hours (until my father usually cut the call...hahaha..good old days) but it was mostly about them and only Hmmm, Yaaa etc from my side...

2. Maybe she does it without her knowledge, and she doesnt know or think its an issue and all this imagination is just from your side. This happens to a lot of people, and when you confront it, you feel bad since the opposite person has no clue...

3. Maybe all she wants is to pour out what she thinks and feels, in that one hour to you (since she must be considering you her sister as well) and then hang up...for reasons like her in-laws might snap at her..you mentioned she complains about them.

4. Maybe she finds that comfort in your listening

Now for the other parts of your message...

Are your families related in some way? My point is, is there a possibility that she knows your husbands family and doesnt like them for other reasons you may not be aware of?

Not appreciating, some people for their success and appreciating the others is clearly a sign of immaturity, since she is trying to make a point there, something like "Yeah Whatever" ... but thats her attitude and you shouldnt bother about it...Not everybody is perfect...

Since she has not directly implicated anything about your husband, I would say she is partly innocent and the rest is just how she is...so its upto you to decide how you want to take this relationship further...

If I were you, and If I know more about her...i.e her maturity levels on all other topics...I would humbly ask her that I feel this way and if there was anything I mentioned which might have hurt her...But again all this only if you care for a future in this relationship...else just nip the bud and maintain a "Hello, How do you do?" kind of a relationship with her.

Hope I helped.
    Jyothi

3. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

when i was reading your post only person in mind was my dear mom:)
    especially after my dads death anyone who comes home has to listen to topics about my dad ...honestly i know my mom wants to express her views about past but i have seen people getting bored by what she says..when someone tries to talk about their views my mom just cuts them off or changes topic back to my dad ..i cant say my mom that others will get bored as she will be hurt .Its not that my mom hates other people or their topics its just that she finds something else which intrests her more so i guess your cousin is not mean may be she wants someone to listen to her problems and views

3 people like this.
  4. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Happy wife,
    I don't think she is jealous may be that's her personality. Only now you are noticing it. Think back your childhood or college days did she listen when you spoke about your life.
    Also, I think 4 times a week is way too much even between friends and sisters. Toomuch talking about this and that can lead to lot misunderstanding. We all have a ton of things going on in our own life so why waist time talking this and that.:bonk Mutual enquiry of how eachother is doing should be good.

1 person likes this.
  5. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Hi Jyothigandham,

I have highlighted my points in red.

6. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Hi lavii,

Yeah some ppl only like talking about themselves or only something they are interested in. :bonk But it would seem natural and we don't feel like they want to purposely cut other ppl's conversation.

Like some ppl non stop talk bout their children or grand children, as if we really bother..haha. My MIL is one of them. Keeps repeating the same story. I doubt whether she forgets of telling it earlier or wants to make sure I or we really get it into our heads bout her sacrifices and her ability in maths. I get really fed up listening to her over and over again. :hide:

ps: lavii, you should spend extra time with your mum. once in a while try talking some good things bout your dad too. now that her dear spouse is not with her anymore, you and your siblings should show that you care and love her.

7. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

hi ars,

yes she did listen to me whenever i spoke to her all these while and even did after i got married 4 years back, she just started behaving like this for the past few months. it hurts a lot when someone dear to me does this to me.

well we don't talk 4 times a week like we used to do but now atleast once in 2 weeks. depends.. when any occasions coming up then maybe like every 2-3 days once till the occasion.

you are right. im gona reduce talking to her now. in fact it would be better if i stop calling. she'll get the hint that im not happy bout her not liking to talk bout my hubby etc. im fine with it, it's her right whom she wants to like and dislike and for watever reason. but when she dislikes my hubby then im disliking her too.

she can call if she wants. i'll talk to her nicely.

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Could you unintentionally be coming across as a show-off? After all, even making a statement like your husband's cousins are smarter than hers seem a little patronizing. I would think grades mean nothing in the bigger scheme of things and are not really benchmarks for smart or not!

In any case, to me it seems like you are both, without intending to, trying to one-up each other by highlighting the good things in your respective families! If I were in your place, I would not give this too much place in my mind. If she doesn't want to listen, I would just not tell. I would feel happy that the children in my family are fending well for themselves and leave it at that. Similarly, if I don't want to listen, I would change the topic too and talk about other things.

sindmani and parvathi1980 like this.
  9. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

hi peartree,

im very sure that im not showing off and there's no reason for me to show off either since it's just my in laws.

and i never told her that they are smarter than her daughter, but just wondering whether that's how she feels and is intimidated by it. it's not that i start telling her bout my hubby's
    cousins results, there are many who sit for the same exam in our family, her husband's family and my hubby's family. so we share info bout each of them. she's very keen to know bout others but changes the topic (in an unpleasant tone) when it comes to my hubby's ppl.

there's no need for me to highlight the good things in my hubby's family since im not gona get anything out of it. :spin

i wish i could change the topic and talk bout other things too (sometimes feel bored when she talks so much bout her in laws), but i don't wana hurt her by cutting the conversations. :hide:

10. canreachus

canreachus Senior IL'ite

if you are very close to your cousin and you talk 4 times a week as you said, then why don't you ask her directly that - "you seem to be ignorent when i talk about my dh or my dh's family?, i always listen to you patiently, right!!"...if you both are really in a good relationship, she will definately will give a try to understand your problem...instead of asking her directly why are you making yourself upset?!