How to cook rice in a pressure cooker?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sherin78, May 21, 2010.

1. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

I cook rice in a pan and then strain the liquid. I plan to shift the cooking rice process in a pressure cooker as I learnt it saves lot of time. Can you tell me what is the normal procedure or how much of water should be used for cooking rice in a pressure cooker.For how many whistles it should be cooked.Should the cooker be opened immediately after steam. I hear my neighbours saying they cook just for 1 whistle the raw rice. But mine doesn't cook properly if I keep it for 10 whistles also(I use boiled rice). Either it comes sticky or uncooked. I normally cook basmati rice in cooker which comes out well.

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Sherin,

Though it is an easy process..takes time to settle down with a satisfactory output..as the time and ratio differs from one cooker to another..also the quality of the rice is important.

At home we use boiled rice..Till date mom follows the ratio of 1: 2.5(rice:water).We do not cook directly in the cooker instead keep the content in a small vessel, cover it with a lid/plate and then cook.

Do not put the weight/whistle immediately after switching on.Wait till steam comes out from the valve and then put on the weight.This is safe and the time taken is reduced too.

We generally cook for 3 whistles.At times switch off just before th 3rd whistle comes.

Try out this and increase or decrease the whistle accordingly.Matter of trial and error :)

DO NOT OPEN COOKER AS SOON AS YOU SWITCH OFF.PLEASE GIVE ENOUGH TIME AND LET IT COME TO ROOM TEMPERATURE.

See to that the valve and the weight are clean.Clean your gaskets too.

Hope these details help you.Update us the result.All the best :thumbsup

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Whistles are a very poor way to judge time. Its time that cooks not the number of whistles. The time between two whistles in a given brand of cooker is dependent on the type of flame used. With a large burner high flame the time between whistles is minimum. Even though you use more heat you require more whistles.
    The best way is to go by a clock. Rice can be cooked in 4 minutes after pressure is reached. The quantity of rice does not matter.Whether it is one grain of rice or two KG the time is the same. However, the time taken to reach pressure will depend upon how much rice is being cooked.

The other issue is that if you use a large flame you are just wasting gas. The temperature inside the cooker is independent of the flame size.

What must be done is to use a high flame till the cooker comes to full pressure. Reduce to sim position and wait for four minutes and switch off.
    Cooking continues even after you switch off. Wait till the cooker cools till the pressure reaches zero. Most cookers have an internal pressure indicator that tells you when this happens. Otherwise slightly (very carefully!) lift the weight. Even slightly pushing with a spoon will do. If there is pressure inside there will be a hiss. It is safe to open the cooker when the pressure inside is the same as the outside. (Zero pressure difference)

You will save a lot on gas if you follow this procedure. Raw rice can be cooked with 3 times the quantity of water. Boiled rice probably takes less water. Try twice the volume , check the results and adjust.

Arunadhri

Last edited: May 21, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Cindhuja and Arunadhri for your replies. Cindhu, I use a good quality rice and I guess that should make the process more simpler in a coooker. let me try your method and will update you. The ratio of rice to water I try is 1:3.5. Other than this ratio the rice remains uncooked even if I open the cooker after half an hour. It takes 12minutes in an induction cooker(pigeon) and considerably 10 whistles using gas(Prestige cooker). Is this the normal time?

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Sherin,

10 whistles to cook rice is something too much.At the most it takes 3 whistles thatz it.check the same ratio i had quoted and let me know.Do not open the cooker immediately.Let it cool for 20-25 mins and then open.All the best :thumbsup

6. september

september Bronze IL'ite

do you keep the flame too high ????

most kinds of rice i get .. i use the ratio 1: 2 or 1:2.5 (rice : water ) and never more ,, unless you are using the brown rice.

i keep the flame at medium first and when one whistle comes reduce it to low so that it doesnot whistle anymore , then keep it for another 2 - 3 mins and switch off the flame and let all the pressure go by itself , that is leave it it the pressure leaves .

pressure cooking has to be mastered by trial and error only .... so keep adjusting water and cooking time till you get the right thing .

7. mangoes2020

mangoes2020 New IL'ite

I ate the best long grain basmati rice today and i would be glad to share this with the world. Diamond Pearl Long Grain Basmat is the best rice.
    I give you the instructions in order to cook this rice.

1 cup of diamond pearl basmati rice
    2 cup of water
    1 table spoon oil and a pinch of salt.

For best results soak rice in cold water for 2-30 minutes before cooking.

* Rinse measured rice 1 to 2 times to remove extra starch and drain.
    * Place the drained rice,water, salt and oil in an open pan and bring to boil on hight flame. Stir occasionally
    * As water reduces below rice leve, lower the flame, place a tight lid over the pan and let the rice cook in the steam for 18 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.

8. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

hi sherin

As all friends given tips regarding pressure cooker. i want to share my opinion.

if you feel pressure cooker will take more time means.you can go with black coated futura cooker which is the latest one.

for this wash and soak the rice for one hour then for one cup rice two cups of water which is usual process for all cookers.As futura has default visil you dont need to afraid.so within5 to 7 minutes rice will be cooked.my mil is using this cooker.rice is very excellent in this its like a non stick like model and it saves the time of cooking.tomorrow i will share the picture of it if i can means.i hope you settled down.
    I am using prestige which i feel convenient.the same concept 1cup rice means two cup of water.i will keep 3 to 5 whistles which cooking well for me.for 3whistles means sometimes i need to wait but 5 whistle means i release the whistle after 5min i will open it and serve it.

always we have to be careful in dealing with ordinary rice pressure cooker

9. Steadam2011

Steadam2011 New IL'ite

White Rice
    1 cup rice
    1 1/2 cup water
    Add rice and water to pressure cooker (used 2 1/2 qt bowl inside to hold rice/water)
    Bring to pressure
    Add weight to top of pressure cooker when vent valve closes
    Cook at pressure for 8 minutes
    Remove from burner when time reached and cool pressure cooker
    Once vent valve releases all to set additional 5 minutes.
    Remove lid, fluff rice, serve

Brown Rice
    1 cup rice
    1 3/4 cup water
    Add rice and water to pressure cooker (used 2 1/2 qt bowl inside to hold rice/water)
    Bring to pressure
    Cook at pressure for 18 minutes

Basmati Rice
    1 cup rice
    1 1/2 cup water
    Bring to pressure

Jasmine Rice
    1 cup rice
    1 1/4 cup water
    Bring to pressure

1 person likes this.
  10. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Is it possible to cook 100 ml(volume) rice in a 3 litre pressure cooker? I don't want the rice to be overcooked or sticky..