Masoor Dal Clarification

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vmtaurus, May 13, 2010.

1. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

I posted in another thread, got many views but no replies.

Mod: If you want to remove the duplication please move the existing thread to this forum..Thanks

Hello
    I have had some mixed opinions about Masoor Dal (both the whole and split variety)...some say that it is bad for health even in small quantities.
    But I have also heard from some of my elders that like any other dal its good for health..
    I tried searching on the internet without any luck..
    Anybody have any idea? Do let me know
    Thanks!
    V

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi vmtaurus,

yeah, even my mom used to say that masoor dhal is bad for health. It enhances the taste though, especially in sambhars. Don't know whether it's a myth or not. My mom used to say that it is used extensively in hotels as a flavour enhancer in place of tur dhal.

3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

i have trouble distinguishing all these dals :drowning

4. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

"Lentils, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein-all with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up--not out."

"Lentils are one of the best vegetable sources of iron. This makes them an important part of a vegetarian diet, and useful for preventing iron deficiency."

Courtesy: Wikipedia

I love Masoor dal. My mum always says that Masoor dal is the king of dals. In Hindi we even have a saying that goes like this, "yeh muhn aur masoor ki dal" which approximately means, "Do you have the face (read status) to eat Masoor dal?"

6. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

:rotfli was like that too! but have now learnt the differences..since i cook everyday after marriage!

7. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Sabari,CW and Gauri for your FB

I totally love masoor dal too..just so much yummier than tur/moong. Oh well..I'm going to go with 'masoor dal is good for health!' :)

8. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

It says split orange lentils for masoor dal. what can you make out of masoor dal? soup? dal? I don't remember eating any orange coloured lentils.

9. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

vmtaurus,

i think you have confused yourself between MASSOR DHAL AND KESARI DHAL(LATHYRUS SATIVUS)..while the former is good for health,kesari dhal can cause food poisoning ,paralysis of limbs and is even proven to be carcinogenic.
    since KESARI DHAL costs less,lot of co operative society and local shops adulterate massor dhal with kesari dhal,as they both are orange in colour tand cannot be clearly distinguished.

this might be the reason why people have a reservation buying masoor dhal as such.when bought from renowed shops selling good varieties of dhals,,masoor dhal is pure ,free from adulteration.

during my microbiology classes ,we had a chapter on adulteration of food products and mixing masoor dhal with kesari dhal was the most common adulteration ,specially in government based ration shops.

aarthi

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  10. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hi Malvika

Not sure if you have heard of simple tadka dal..you can make it with masoor dal. It is tastier than moong/tur dal..
    This dal is quite distinctive in taste.

Here is the recipe for you..

Ingredients:
    Masoor Dal - 1 cup (boiled till soft and mushy)
    Onion - 1 chopped fine
    Tomato - 1 chopped fine
    Garlic - 2-3 cloves
    Ginger - 1/4 inch chopped fine
    Coriander pwdr - 1 tsp
    Cumin pwdr - 1 tsp
    Tumeric pwdr - 1/2 tsp
    Garam Masala - 1 tsp (optional)
    salt - to taste

Method:
    Heat 2 tsp ghee/oil into a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and a little turmeric. Add onions, tomatoes and keep stirring till cooked. Add the boiled/mashed dal. Add a little coriander powder, cumin powder and salt and mix well. If you want you can also add a pinch of garam masala.

Let it stay on the heat for about 5 mins till all the ingredients are mixed well.

Have with hot steamed rice or and indian bread.

Last edited: May 14, 2010