French Fries At Home

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vmtaurus, Jan 18, 2010.

1. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hi All

I just wanted to share the recipe of French Fries I made at home..this is not for the calorie conscious! :thumbsup

Ingredients:
    Potatoes - 1/2 kg
    Water - Lots of it to boil potatoes in!
    Oil for deep frying
    Salt to taste

Method:
    Cut the potatoes into fries shape and dunk in water until you are ready to cook them. You may choose to keep the skin or peel them, depending on your preference.

Once you have completed cutting, heat a pot of water with salt (as per your taste) and wait till it comes to a complete boil.

Dip the cut potato fries into this water in batches. Ensure that there is enough space for these fries to move around in. Boil these fries for exactly 5 mins. Then remove them and spread onto a cloth to dry and cool down.

Once they are cool enough, drop them in batches (again) into very hot oil. Again ensure that there is enough room for these fries to move around, and are not too crowded in the oil. Wait till the bubbles subside and you see a faint browning on these fries.

Remove from oil and serve hot with chutney/ ketchup of your choice!

These fries are best eaten hot or warm and might turn soggy if kept for a long time.

Enjoi!!!

V

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thanks vmtaurus!!
    I had tried french-fries once but I had fried the potatoes directly (without cooking in water first). Dint come out as crisp as those we get at MacD..

but will definitely try out this one. Did they really come out crisp for u?

3. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hi Gayathri

Yes! They did come out crisp!

I must confess I had gone through this process a number of times, but didnt get the crispiness I desired. I realised the key is to par-boil i.e. for 5 mins in piping hot water!

Hope that helps!
    V