Karuvepilai Kuzhambu (Kadipatha sambar)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by bhuvanhan, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bhuvanhan

bhuvanhan Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

My IL friend mira had asked for Karuvepillai Kuzhambu(Kadipatha ka sambar - without dal). I would like to share it with you all.

Ingredients:
    Urad dal 3 tspn
    channa dal 1 tspn
    dry dhaniya - 2 tspn
    black sesame - 11/2 tspn
    Rice - 1tspn (for thickening)
    methi - 2 tspn
    red chilles - 5 to 6 (according to your taste)
    pepper - 2 tspn.
    grated coconut - 3 tspn
    kadipatha - 1 cup
    small onions 10 to 12 or Chopped onions 1 cup
    Immly - 100g approximately

for seasoning:
    til oil
    mustard 1 tspn
    Hing 1/2 spn

Soak immly in warm water(this will enable us to extract the pulp fully) for 10 mts. In a kadai, add 1 tspn of til oil an fry all spices in slow flame. Once it is fried switch off the flame and add coconut and kadikpatta and fry it for another 2 to 3 minutes. Grind all this in a mixer with or without water.

Extract immly ka pulp with around 200 ml of water, add salt and haldi powder to it and bring it to boil in slow flame. When it starts to boil fry the seasoning items in 1 tspn of oil and add it to the water. Allow it to boil for another 5 minutes in slow flame, then add the grounded masala and stir well. Let it boil for another 10 minutes. You will start to get nice smell of kadipatta and the sambar will start to thicken. at this time switch off the flame and serve it hot with rice, dosa or Addai. It goes very well with pongal and idly also.
    Try this recipe and give your feedback friends.:cheers

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bhuvana,

How do you do? I was trying to reach you in IL for a long time. now i found this thread, sorry to interrupt you here.

My DMIL passed away 3 months ago. she was suffereing from cologne cancer and i was busy that time as she was in the hospital for nearly two months and was like a child to me.

She was a great friend of mine. we used to chat, share our art works, feelings, go for evening walk... and now i miss her a lot. I didn't access IL for long time after that. Now we are slowly coming out of that....

So how are things at your end?

Thanks for the wonderful karuvepilai kuzambu recipe. I will try and let you know how it came out. thank you so much.

warm regards,

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  3. bhuvanhan

bhuvanhan Silver IL'ite

Hi mira,

Nice to see your reply after a long long time. I am very sorry for your MIL. It is very nice to hear that you and your MIL were such good company. I pray god to give you all strength to recover from this loss.

Things are fine at my end. I too was not able to come online for a long time. I had guests for vacation, we had been on a holiday to andaman and I had my lasik surgery which was keeping me busy. I just logged on and it was a plesant surprise for me.

Keep in touch. Have a nice day..

Bye

4. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Bhuvana. How are you now? Don't strain your eyes. How's your Andaman trip? Do make an album on the scenaries that you would have captured in Andaman. Eager to see them.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  5. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bhuvana,

I tried out the karivepilai kuzhambu. It was delicious. My family enjoyed that.

Not seen you here for a long time. You wrote about lasik treatment. how are you now?