Egg substitutes when baking

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by BeeAmma, Dec 1, 2009.

1. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I have been using ground flaxseed as egg substitute in baking and it comes out very well. To use this
    1 egg ~= 1tbsp flaxseed powder+ 3 tbsps water Blend in food processor for 2 mins. It will become viscous. Have made cake, naan, carrot cake, cookies and zucchini bread amongst other things.

Would be good if other members share egg substitutes that they have used.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Beeamma,
    This proportion replaces 1 egg?i have read that,good that you have successfully substituted.

3. pav_3

pav_3 Senior IL'ite

BeeAmma,

thanks for the tip.i have used apple sauce(1/2 cup) or 1 banana as an egg substitute in many of my cakes,pan cakes and muffin recipes.it works great for me...
    also tried 1 heaped tbsp of soy powder mixed with water in place of an egg....
    will try with flax seed powder next time and let you know:).....

pavi
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Beeamma,

thanks for the tip. I use EnerG brand Egg Replacer available in Sprouts market. It is basically potato starch and tapioca fluor and I have baked banana bread and cakes. I have heard about using applesauce too, but never tried it.

5. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi Supriya,
    The proportions are for 1 egg. Thanks for pointing it out, I have made the change to the original post.

Hi pavi
    I recently read about the banana and applesauce. Will try it out.

Hi Sundarusha,
    Also have the EnerG. Came across the flaxseed in costco and decided to give it a try. The more options options the better :).

6. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi ,

i have used vinegar mixed with bak soda for eggless recipes...
    1 egg=1 tbsn vinegar(prefrably apple cider to avoid the harsh smell) and 1/2 tspn soda mixed together..

i have also read that 1/4 cup of soft silken tofu can be used for every egg used,,,but havent tried it yet

aarthi

7. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Friends,

I've come across a good blog wherein many variations of egg substitutes are used. Not sure if we're allowed to give links. So just google for 'madhuram' , you get the first option as madhuram's eggless cooking.

8. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Thanks Grace_3. Found the site. It seems to have a lot of useful info on substitutes.

9. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

That's great info, BeeAmma. Thanku for sharing!!!

I have successfully substituted cornflour to roll cutlets. I roll the cutlets in a paste made of cornflour & water, roll them in bread crums and then fry them. Comes out great without the egg smell. :)

10. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I use either banana, flax powder or yogurt as egg substitute in all baking. Grace, I'm a big fan of madhuram's blog. She gives good tips on tried out recipes in notes section. Another one that I follow is vaishali's blog (earthvegan blogspot). She has good holds in baking.

-Uma