Broccoli pulao

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by SupriyaDinesh, Sep 24, 2009.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Ladies,
    Do you prepare pulao using broccoli?If yes please share your recipe here.TIA.

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I usually prepare stir fry rice with broccoli.

Here's how I make,
    Cook rice until grains are separate with little bit of salt and a drop of oil.

In a heated wok add 1 tbsp oil (sesame or peanut). Add in 2 to 3 cloves chopped garlic, 2 tsp crushed ginger and some finely chopped green chillies, and onions, saute them for a while. Add 2 cups of broccoli and stir fry it at high heat for 3 to 4 mins until the veggie is cooked but crispy. Now add cooked/cooled rice with a tad bit of soy sauce or tamari (you can omit this if you don't want) and some rice vinegar. Add salt if required as soy sauce is already having some salt plus rice has salt.

You can add 1 tbsp of any chilli sauce (I prefer green chilli sauce or sri racha hot sauce).

You can make pulao using the same method with a little bit of tweaking.

- Pound 2 cardamom pods, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves and 1/4 tsp pepper. Season them first before adding onion/garlic.
    - Omit soy/chilli sauce
    - Add turmeric powder, coriander powder (1 tsp each) and a pinch of garam masala once broccoli is cooked (before adding rice)

If you want to make pulao in pressure cooker, broccoli may just fall apart as its a tender vegetable, so stir frying takes care of it.

-Uma

If you make pulao in cooker

3. SupriyaDinesh

Uma,
    Thanks for thr recipe.I do not have few ingredients in the recipe.

4. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Such as....

I think even with just ginger-garlic-cilantro paste and broccoli you can make yummy rice.

-Uma

5. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Supriya,

I am not a great cook but my 2 cents on this..

I personally feel broccoli has a v strong taste and it is not suited to our traditional pulavs.I once did it can u believe the taste of even rice was masked by the strong broccoli taste!!!

suji

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Suji:
    I agree. I like to make a cream of broccoli soup...that comes out well and is easy.

7. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

I need some help with broccoli too..

Personally I HATE broccoli. My husband doesn't hate them but doesn't eat a whole lot too. I hate them so much that I either pick broccoli pieces from the fried rice/pasta or whatever and keep them seperate or tell not to add broccoli at all.

but I do know that it is rich in iron and its good for health. So, I wanna try to add them but not as fried rice / pulaos. Is there a way to hide the broccoli flavor completely? I mean like thogayals and thokkus where you don't even recognize what its made of and mask the broccoli taste with our spices?? :) Is it too much to ask?

If anyone has tried anything of this sort, please tell me. thanks

8. SupriyaDinesh

aswini,
    afte rreading all inputs, i have decided to try "broccoli kurma"(chivish recipe) first and then broccoli paratha from other site.

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Pulao, I am not sure.. Fried rice.. yes..

but I make curry/poriyal or kurma (yep chitra amma recipe) with it.. So is making saag paneer, but using broccoli instead of leaves ;-) yep..

Broccoli+ potato or Broccoli+ peas are some few combinations that are awesome..

Also how we make poori kizhangu.. you can use broccoli with potatoes too..

Try it out..

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

If you eat eggs, then i have a delicious recipe and jiffy too..

Good side-dish for Rasam Saadham :crazy

1.Clean and separate the brocolli flowers..Dont chop but separate the flowers into tiny pieces...

2.Break 2 eggs(for 1 medium sized broccoli)...beat well with little pepper and enough salt..Heat kadai and fry the beated egg..Kindle well with laddle so that separate well into small small chunks..Add little oil if necessary..Remove from fire and cool

3.Heat oil ..Temper mustard seeds,green chillies..saute handfull of chopped onions ..Add the cleaned broccoli..sprinkle water and salt..close with lid..and cook till soft..When it is well cooked add the fried egg pieces..mix well and cook in low fire for a minute..