jackfruit chips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vathsala30, Jun 21, 2009.

1. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

:thumbsupdear friends

since this is the jackfruit season, i would like to share my favourite chips with all of you.
    take a fully matured but not ripe raw jackfruit and remove the edible part. remove the seeds and the bag like thing around the seed. cut that edible parts into long and slim pieces and deep fry in oil. remove once it becomes light brown and add salt and chilli powder and keep in a air tight container. (it takes a little long time to become crispy)

yummy jackfruit chips are ready to serve.
    bye.
    vathsala

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    1 person likes this.

2. Gitunandakumar

Gitunandakumar Bronze IL'ite

Wow great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  3. vathsala30

hi geeta

thank you for your response. did you try this recipe. how did it come out?

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing Vathsala dear

1 person likes this.
  5. vathsala30

you are most welcome viji ma. Sorry for the late reply as i did not visit this thread since a long time

6. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the recipe vathsala!

I used to absolutely love jackfruit chips when I was studying in South India.
    I never knew it could be made at home as well. Now I will definately try making these at home as soon as I find jackfruits!

But how long do you have to store them in airtight containers? You can't eat the immediately? :-(

7. vathsala30

I used to prepare at home. But it takes a little more time for deepfrying as the thick cut pieces should become crisp. cut the edible portion of the unripe but matured fruit into thin slices lengthwise, immediately deepfry them, when it turns into crispy golden colour from soft and cream colour ( not white as white and thin slices are not matured ones and unfit for chips). remove from the oil and spread on a paper which absorbs oil and later on add salt and chilli powder according to taste.

PS; The correct fruit to pick up for this chips is it should be fully matured and ready to start ripening any time. but If it tastes slightly sweet, means it has started ripening and dont use this fruit, no piece should taste even slightly sweeter for making crispy chips

it can be stored for 2 weeks but each time change the news paper immediately after it absorbed the oil from the chips and looks oilly or greasy for freshness
    definitely you can eat it immediately

1 person likes this.