Samosa - The way you like it!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by SanjanaBatra87, May 29, 2009.

1. SeuliB

SeuliB New IL'ite

I love the mini masala samosa. Here in Ahmedabad, I get them made at home (there are 'nashta-making' experts whom you can call by appointment and get your choicest 'nashta' including mini samosa made. :)

For the filling you need moong daal (soaked), red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, salt to taste, amchur, asafoetida powder (hing) and cumin seeds. Moreover, mini samosas are also available readymade from Haldirams.

Do you make samosas at home or like it from the shop?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Thanks for the mini samosa recipe. I do make samosa's at home during winter. I learnt from a Bengali friend this typical filling with cooked cauliflower, potatoes and green pees along with a dash of ginger, salt to taste, roasted cumin powder and green chillies. The taste is just fantastic....Bengalis call it Phulkopir Shingara..I hope I said it right. :hide:
    Have any of you tasted this kind of samosa filling,
    Bengali style ?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. loveleen001

loveleen001 Senior IL'ite

Yummy, the pic itself brings water to the mouth.. i had samosa in Kolkata and Khasta kachori. Did you ever have this?

Here are some salient features of the bengali "Shingara":
    1) Much, much smaller in size (a big plus, in my opinion. I hate it when the samosas are humongous). They are almost bite-sized.
    2) Made of maida, not atta. Makes it crispier, "flakier" and tastier.
    3) Deep fried in ghee or vegetable oil. I do not think they are deep fried in mustard oil, but I could be wrong.
    4) The fillings are different -- a mixture of potatoes, green peas. Sometimes little pieces of cauliflower are also added.

Actually when we eat we scarcely notice all this but you know the color changes when the ingredient used are different.. notice it sometime.

4. bharti

bharti Silver IL'ite

wow........ what a mouth-watering discussion going on......... feels lik i wanna go back to "chappan dukan" in indore and eat one myself...... well donno how many of you are aware.... indore is known for its "chats" and they are just so yummy!!!! i guess what inhances the taste of samosa's in indore is the chuntey they serve the red and green..... i guess the chutney too is amazing.... havent come across those yummy chutney newhere else!!! delhi also is yet another tempting place for chats!!!

i like the aaloo samosa the most..... and yes ofcourse aaloo kachori and dal kachori as well...... apart from samosa's from any of the shops in indore (all of them are just so good) i love samosa's made by my mom.... she makes them very well..... i guess the filling is more or less as discussed by others.....

south indian samosa...... well yes they dont taste as good as in north.... the masala and cooking style may be the reason.... and ofcourse the chutney!!!

where do i find a good samosa here in dubai.... neone knows?????

5. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

Hi Bharti, Thanks for sharing this lovely experiences and samosas from different places in India. Really, I feel myself fortunate to be part of the forum today, which has made me know the food and culture of our diverse nation. Let me also share a few facts I gathered for you :thumbsup

Can anybody share facts about Luqmi? I've just got to know about it's existence, but would love to know more.
    P.S Till then dream about how these samosas would smell when they are fried..... :party
    <!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

6. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

No wonder it be Samosa or Lukhmi, Both are just tasty. The discussion itself is making me feel to have oe garma garam samosa...

Lukhmi is a typical mince savoury or starter of the cuisine of Hyderabad, India. The snack's authentic preparation includes stuffing with mutton-mince kheema. It's a non-vegetarian derivative of samosa; it is also shaped into a flat square patty, but the fillings could be different. The word comes from loqma or morsel. Mince meat (Kheema), flour and yogurt. Prepare the dough in yogurt, mixing it thoroughly until it becomes very smooth, and stuff it with minced meat. Kheemey ki Lukhmi is still served as a starter in the authentic Hyderabadi weddings and other celebrations.

Did anyone prepare it at home? can you tell me the recipe?

7. Noor01

Noor01 Senior IL'ite

Well I use this filling for Samosa..

First take oil in a kadai or a big pan and put mustard seed after it splutter add peas and fry for sometime then add ginger garlic paste, turmeric and fry again for 2 seconds then add all the above listed powder and the the potatoes and fry very nicely till it becomes dry.
    At last add coriander leaves for the flavour.

And the rest is regular.

Does anyone have different ideas?

8. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

Thanks Menila, for sharing the information. But it won't work for me..since I'm a strict vegetarian. Anyone who has tried, let Menila know if it works out well... :coffee
    Ladies, I'd like to know one thing, is the flour used in the dough for samosa always 'Maida' all over India?

Sochne waali baat hai na??:roll:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. bappika007

bappika007 Senior IL'ite

It’s interesting to note that a snack that is such a hot favorite with Indians actually originated in Central Asia and traveled all the way to India in saddle bags through the ancient trade routes.

This scrumptious snack, “small, crisp mince-filled triangles were easy to make around campfires during night halts, then conveniently packed into saddle-bags as snacks for the next day’s journey.

Isn't it great to know the history of our beloved golden triangles?