How to make Cornbread...USA traditional recipe

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by tashidelek2002, Apr 2, 2009.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Corn being a staple food of the USA (indigenous plant) many people eat and enjoy cornbread which is a quick bread (raised using baking powder). There are some variations of preparation depending on the location in the USA and what type of corn meal is being used. I want to relate the best recipe that I have come across.

Corn meal would be like in wheat a coarse atta, not a maida like the corn flour that one gets in Indian shops. It can be purchased with the germ or degerminated. The degerminated has a long shelf life but has had the germinating portion of the kernel removed. The type with the germ must be kept in the fridge or freezer as it goes rancid more quickly and has a better flavor. For those ladies in India who would like to make this, have the dukanwallah grind the dried corn kernels as coarse atta. Stone ground is the most highly prized grind in the USA. I am using the cornmeal with the germ and I am also showing use with fish.

Remember: 1 cup = 250 ml (not 200 ml) and all spoon measurements are flat not heaped.

1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup flour (maida)
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup oil

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and set aside. In another bowl scald cornmeal with 1/4 cup boiling water and let cool. Then add beaten egg. Add dry ingredients alternating with milk and oil. Stir just until smooth. (Don't beat or it will be heavy when cooked.) Pour into greased 8" by 8" pan. Bake 25 to 30 mins.

This is best eaten while hot with butter. Also good is orange marmalade or other jam, or honey, or molasses syrup in addition. The cornbread (if you have any left!) can be eaten for breakfast crumbled and with hot milk and sugar on top. If you want to jazz up the bread, add green chillies and cheese. Make it once plain and then get ideas.

Corn meal is also very good to coat fish for frying. Just take the fish filet and wet it and roll it in the cornmeal. You can put masala into the cornmeal ....however you like it.

Hope you enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Tina for cornbread pics and also recipe.
    I have bought cornmeal from walmart assuming it as corn flour.
    (came to know when trying to make it a dough:rotfl)
    As I cannot use it in dough form,I am thinking to try the different recipes printed at the back of its packet.
    While reading those recipes I thought them as food consumed only by native ppl here ......
    Now afer seeing your post it gave me the boost to prepare cornbread now.....
    Once again thank you for your yummy recipe.

3. tashidelek2002

Surekha:
    Did you buy cornmeal or did you buy corn masa? The later is used in Mexican cooking to make a tortilla which you should have absolutely no problem doing. Its like chappati/roti making. The fresh tortillas are so much tastier than the ones made and prepackaged.

Please let me know any additions that you made to my cornbread recipe. I am sure you will love this bread once you have done it.

Tina

4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Wow Tina..
    Lovely!! The bread looks very soft and fluffy. I always thought it is a little dense like pumpernickel. I have heard so much about corn bread but never had it. Tina, which brand cornmeal do you suggest?
    - Nitha

5. tashidelek2002

Nitha:
    Its a little heavy but not like pumpernickel with is a yeast bread. I am a little picky on what cornmeal I use and I mail order and keep in the fridge and use from there. I buy from

Old Mill of Guilford all-natural grits, corn meals, flours and mixes

Their products are natural, traditional and very high quality.

Sometimes you can find the stone ground corn meal at Walmart different brand. Look for that.

A usual accompaniment to cornbread is bean dishes of many sorts: Mexican chilli, white bean, baked beans, black bean soup, etc. Today I had with a mixed bean crockpot soup.

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Tina.. I will check out stone ground corn meal and Tina, can you share the bean soup recipe too:hide:. I have an unopened pack of pinto bean somewhere in the pantry
    - Nitha

7. tashidelek2002

Nitha:
    Didn't use pintos but here is the recipe I used:

1 lb fennel chicken sausage sliced
    1 can cannelini beans (white rajmah)
    1 can chickpeas
    1 can black beans
    1 1/2 c frozen corn
    1 1/2 c salsa (not picante) (any brand...the big bottle)
    1 large green pepper chopped not too fine
    1 large onion chopped not too fine
    1 c water
    1 teaspoon cumin

Drain and rinse the beans and put everything in a 4 qt crockpot. The water should fill it to halfway, adjust amount of water up or down. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.

This recipe although super easy ended up surprisingly tasty. This would be a nice recipe for a Sunday when you go out shopping and come home hungry.

Eat with corn bread and you can put small pieces in the juice to sop it up.

8. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thanx Tina,
    I will subs. Pinto and black eyed beans. I have all the ingredient other than chick. sausage.
    But I guess that is ok.
    - Nitha

9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

10. Ayu

Ayu New IL'ite

Here is another version of cornbread that I made couple weeks back. We simply loved it. I tried it with the vegetarian black bean chilli.

Cornbread:

1 1/2 Cups Martha White's Self-Rising Buttermilk Corn Meal Mix - hot Rise (available at walmart)
    1 can Cream-style Corn
    3/4 cup milk
    1/4 Cup Veg. Oil
    2 Eggs, slightly beaten
    1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    2 Jalapeño Peppers (seeded \ diced)
    1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
    1/2 Red Bell Pepper - chopped

Combine all ingredients, except cheese. Stir well. Pour 1/2 into a pan (I used the pyrex glass pan). Top with cheese. Cover with remaining mix. Bake @ 425 for approx 30 min. Check with a tooth pick if done. Let it stand for a few minutes before cutting.

If you already have the regular cornmeal you can use this recipe.

1 1/2 Cups Cornmeal
    1 can Cream-style Corn
    1 Cup Buttermilk
    1/2 Cup Veg. Oil
    2 Eggs
    1 Tbl Baking Powder
    1 tsp Salt
    2 Jalapeño Peppers (seeded \ diced)
    1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
    1/2 Red Bell Pepper - chopped
    1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Follow the same method as above.

Recipe for vegetarian Black bean chilli:

1 med Onion
    1 Red Bell Pepper
    2 Tbsp Chilli Rojo Oil (If you cannot find Rojo oil, use any other cooking oil that you may have)
    1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin - roasted
    2 Jalapeño peppers - seeded\diced
    4 Lg Garlic Cloves - minced
    1 can Diced Tomatoes (15 oz)
    1 tsp Dried Oregano
    1 1/2 tsp Salt
    2 Cans Black Beans (14 oz each)
    2 Tbl Chopped Cilantro
    1 tsp Lime Juice

Saute' the onion, red pepper and cumin in the chilli oil over med heat for approx. 5 min.
    Add jalapenos and garlic - cook 1 min
    Add Tomatoes, Oregano and Salt, cook over med \ low heat for 20 min
    Add Black Beans and cook for additional 20 min
    (Add water if necessary, depending on how juicy the tomatoes are)
    Add cilantro, cook 5 min
    Season to taste with Lime Juice and salt