Crazy recipes!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Sriniketan, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

'Necessity is the mother of invention'...we might have invented this recipe out of necessity with the availabe ingredients, or even if the ingredients needed to do a recipe is not available at that timebonk.but .did not want to throw that item into the garbage..instead decided to use it in one form or the other..and throw it into our 'bin' namely the stomach..Big Laugh

Here is mine, which I tried last year and the other one last week...

I had graham cereal in the house, which the children decided not to eat it..I don't know what to do...one fine day...I decided to make it a halwa and have it..
    I powdered that cereal...added milk, oil/ghee + cardomom powder and had it in the stove for sometime and as it came to the halwa consistency..I switched off the stove...
    You know what..it became a hit...so nowadays I don't feel bad if there is any cereal left..I do it this way..

Ok..this recipe..is a little bit crazy.. :crazy
    I had pretzels in the pantry for as long as n months...did not want to throw it too...Rant
    I powdered it and kept it in a bag and used it as a thickner for the soups and sambars..but it is not going down in volume..bonk
    I got the sugar syrup from another canned fruit...(I don't know it is ok to use that syrup..but anyway I used it)..added this powder to that with cardomom powder and made balls..
    But it was yummy you know with sweet + salt taste..

Is this not a crazy recipe..what do you say!

sriniketan

2. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Big B is a lateral thinker is the universal fact, just like Milk is white ;)
    It is again proved by these recipes.

I really admire your attempt of not wasting eatables.

Dear, please let me know what is graham cereal.
    Am not aware of it.

3. Sriniketan

Bujji,
    As I had already pointed out...necessity pa necessity..no lateral thinking.:)
    Honey Graham cereal..i tried halwa in this. Basically it is a wheat flour, processed differently to give the name graham flour. I think.
    You know what, you can try in all the cereals, except the colored ones.

sriniketan.

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear sri,
    so nice to read recipes. i felt as if i am reading a women's magazine under the title" recipes for left over"( kidding) but if it becomes a hit, it is alright. but if it failsRant"deaposit izhandha vtpalr pol nikkanum". once there were left over adais. i just want to make something new. i put the adais in a mixie and powdered coarsly. mixed it with cooked beans and served as beans paruppu usili. wow!!!!my chidren said abig" no"Rant.any way nothing wring in trying.
    with love
    pad.

5. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

sriniketan,
    wow u are innovative in your new recipes ..and why not ..we should all be like this plus economical..
    im impressed
    jaijui

6. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

My dear dear srini...SUPER SRINI manni

Super pah!! SUPER O SUPER ........hahahahah first i enjoyed the whole post and i admired too

Ya , it happends with me also yaar. i too will try something like this, i did beet pulao, i dont kow why it didnt came out well that time , so plenty of left over was there , i grind it in mixie and i added chopped onions, greenc hillies, chilli powder, garam masala powder and mix it well as thick dough and make it like then ball and then i dipped it in cornflour and deep fried it.........beleive me it was GREAT HIT ..........heheheh nan kadaisi varaikum sollavey illey adhu dhaan vegadha beet pulaonu.........Big Laugh:hide:

PADMINI AMMA

Super pongo........kandippa parupusili taste a dhan irundirukkum.....because adai too has got almost same ingriednets only nah

Keep sharing yaar......

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Srini,

My 'invention' isn't as terrific as yours... but this is what happened once. My SIL had been visiting us and she likes seppankizhangu fry. I bought the vegetable from chinese shop and who knows it'll become masiyal with 3 whistles (all my amma's tip to give 3 whistlesbonk). So there it came out mashed up. what to do... i added some breadcrumbs, pottukadalai maavu etc., all necessary ingredients for cutlet/kofta and deep-fried... it was superb... after that i have tried several times to repeat that recipe but didn't come out as good as that day!

Latha

8. vandannav

vandannav Senior IL'ite

hi

wow nice innovative ideas!!!!.

regards
    vandannav

9. Susila

Susila New IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan,

Your ideas were simply wonderful. You used your imagination fully. After reading it, I too think it is possible to make halwas out of cereals. I am going to try it.
    I have two packets of nacho chips, opened and not eater. Any ideas what I can do with them?
    I also liked Padmini's idea of adai.

Susi

10. Sriniketan

Padmini ma'am,
    You are right, if the recipe is a success no problem...my second crazy 'pretzel balls' met with the same fate, with me and dh are the only ones who is 'gaaliying' it..Big Laughnone of the children comes near..Rant
    Nice idea for the left-over adai...you know I tried the leftover adai-maavu as an idli (this I read somewhere in a magazine) and it came out good at one time and the next time it is ..:thumbsdown

sriniketan