hi latha n others

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by manisha.sanjay, Mar 2, 2009.

1. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

hi latha,

i have done chocolate cake as per your recipe in last week n it was awesome..............
    i tried it today but it became hard like rock.........i m not able to understand what is the problem.........ingredients i took same as u have told n as before but can't maintain temp.i cook it in microwave as i don't have conventional mode..........last time i cook it for 7-8 mins.,this time i kept at power 80 for 8 mins............

please help me ladies i want to make it today for my freind's daughter bday and again for my DH bday on wednesday............

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Manisha,

Hope you get to see this on time. I have baked in microwave only once so not sure where it went wrong. I'm giving you couple of recipes that i have in my note and for microwave baking. may be it'll give better results.

First 2 links for microwave cakes:

Cooking 4 all Seasons: Microwave Easy Cooking Event
    Cooking 4 all Seasons: Microwave Cakes

The microwave cake (muffin recipe actually but i made in a round dish) that i had tried few years back:

Chocolate apricot cake:

1 cup (150g) dried apricots, chopped coarsely
    2 cups (500ml) boiling water
    1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
    1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
    1 egg, beaten lightly
    1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
    1/2 cup (125ml) milk
    1/2 cup (95g) chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

Grease the cake dish. Place apricots and boiling water in a bowl and let it soak for 5 minutes. Drain the apricots, dry with cloth or paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons apricots for topping.
    Combine sugar and flour in a large bowl. Add the remaining apricots and other ingredients also. Mix to combine; don't beat the batter.
    Spoon the batter into the greased cake dish and top with the reserved apricots.
    Cook, uncovered on Medium-high (70%) about 4 minutes or until the cake is just cooked. Stand 1 minute and then turn onto a plate for cooling.

Latha

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

one more recipe that i have not yet tried.

Pecan Chocolate cake:

125gms unsalted butter
    2/3 cup (125gms) brown sugar
    2/3 cup (60g) dried dessicated coconut
    2/3 cup (100g) chopped pecan nuts or any other nuts
    1 1/2 cups (185g) plain flour (maida)
    1 1/3 cups (325g) sugar
    1/4 cup (30g) cocoa powder
    1 1/2 tsps baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup (250ml) milk
    160g unsalted butter, extra
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla essence

Grease base of two 23cm (9inches) souffle dishes. Place the 125gms butter in a bowl and cook on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, coconut and nuts. Spread the mixture evenly over base of each dish and set aside.

Place remaining ingredients, from the flour to the vanilla essence, in a mixing bowl. Blend at low speed with electric whisk. Beat on medium for 2 minutes then divide mixture and spread evenly in each dish.

Cook one cake at a time on medium 6 minutes then increase to high and cook 2 to 3 minutes until cake is light and spongy to touch. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Turn cake onto serving plate. Turn the second cake out onto the topping side of the first cake.

I hope the links and recipes help, Manisha:) Good luck...

Latha​

4. manisha.sanjay

tons of thankyou latha............
    i was waiting for such recipes.............even though i go for eggless cake recipes i will try this............
    and about linkks............they are very nice .............:thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2:

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

You are most welcome, Manisha. I did a bit of reading today on making cakes in microwave. I understand that the dish continues to cook for a while after removing from microwave so may be you'll know the timing only by trial and error.

I found another recipe from a tattered paper... god knows when and where i got it!

here you go:

Chocolate cake with raisins and almonds- microwave

150g butter
    150g dark chocolate
    150g caster sugar
    4 eggs
    90g self-raising flour
    100g raisins
    50g flaked almonds

Melt the chocolate on full power (850W microwave power)for 1.5 minutes.

Once melted, add the butter and mix well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs.

Add the flour to the sugar-egg mixture and then the butter-melted chocolate mixture. Finally add the raisins.

Grease a microwave-safe loaf tin or a round cake pan with butter. Pour the batter into the greased pan.

Cook for 9-10 minutes on full power (850W microwave oven).

Once cooked, sprinkle the almonds on top.

Latha

6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Latha dear..
    thanks for the receipes...
    even i'm waiting for MW cake receipes...

i think better you can open a separate thread for baking and baking related queries...

7. manisha.sanjay

yes Latha i agree with shvap.........

8. manisha.sanjay

vahee ,check the links given by Latha there are many recipes........and thankyou for your recipe

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. manisha.sanjay

hi latha,
    i am again with queries...........
    1)in varios cake recipes i read.........all purpose flour,maida,self raising flour,cake flour...........are they same or are different
    2)also about baking powder,baking soda,soda bicarbonate,cooking soda.......what is difference between this and can substitute each other......means if we don't have baking powder can we use baking soda

i am having bicarbonate of soda,to which above ingredients it is matching.yesterday i tried cake for 4 times..........no good results:crazy:crazy:crazy,but finished the flours,butterbonkbonkbonk

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Thank you Vahee, Manisha. I'll have to wait a while more before starting a committed thread on Baking because of time constraints with 2 kids. Also I don't know so much:)

So Manisha for your query:

1. All-purpose flour is refined white flour. We do not get something called AP flour here but we get refined white flour in different grades depending on the strength of flour (gluten content?). I'd use a strong flour for bread or pizza, for example. I suppose maida is the same as AP flour.
    2. Self raising flour is plain flour or AP flour mixed with baking powder or leavening agent. That means when you use self-raising flour no need to add extra baking powder. If you over looked then disaster!
    3. Cake flour - in proper western terms means plain flour mixed with corn flour in certain proportion. There are some recipes that i make that ask for corn flour to be included.. it gives softness to the cakes.

BEWARE: I have seen cake flour in Indian grocery shops that is actually self raising flour!

So to an extent, yes they are different.

Now for query no. 2:

1. Baking powder is a leavening agent that is used for cakes, pastries. It is not the same as baking soda or cooking soda. Not all cakes need baking soda but they do need baking powder (there might be exceptions; I'm not aware of any yet!).

2. Sodium bicarbonate used for cooking purposes (like baking, pinch in bajji, while soaking beans) is also known as baking soda, cooking soda, bicarbonate of soda. When combined with a leavening agent such as baking powder, the carbondioxide (gas) is released that helps in baking. If you notice, most cakes that use fresh fruits (like banana cake, carrot cake), dried fruits call for baking soda because the fruits need to be acted upon.

No you cannot substitute baking soda for baking powder. They are different.

I'd recommend this site www.joyofbaking.com. Read the 'Substitutes for ingredients'... this is where I learnt most of the terms.

Oh dear i wonder why your cakes went bad! time to invest in a conventional oven, may be!

Latha

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009