How to cook rice?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Susila, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Susila

Susila New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I know this is a silly question. Please do reply. How do you all cook rice in pressure cooker? How much rice, how much water and for how many whistles? Does the proportion and settings change when using different rice varieties, like for long grain rice or basmati rice?

Susi

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Dear Susila,

Firstly no question is silly:) I'll try to reply as clearly as possible. I thought i saw Chithramma (ask Chitvish) had posted a detailed way to cook rice in cooker etc., may I am confused or can't find it now. Below is the link of her tutorial to cook rice for mixed rice/pulao varieties.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/3578-post65.html

Now coming to your query:

1. Yes different rice varieties need different ratio of water and cooking time. Also the age of the rice (old or new) also decides the number of whistles. This you can know only be trial and error.

2. Basmati rice: I buy Laila brand basmati (pakistani brand) and for this i use this ratio: for 1 cup basmati (no pre-soaking) 1 1/2 cups water and 2 whistles.
    Ponni raw rice: 1 cup rice - 2 cups water and 4 whistles
    Sona masuri rice: 1 cup rice - 2 cups water and 3 whistles.

If you are not sure about number of whistles always give one whistle less. Then if it is still soggy or water remaining in the bottom then give one whistle more. BTW one extra whistle will not damage greatly except if you are cooking for pulao where you need grainy texture.

I always wash the rice 3 times or until the water runs off clearly. I use azhakku... mine is 180ml capacity. For 2 adults and a small child for one meal time i keep 1 azhakku rice. And this is for dinner time because my husband eats lunch at work. For lunch I would keep 1.5 cups which will anyway give left-over but we can use it up for dinner.

Now because i said also the age of the rice decides number of whistles:

new rice will need less whistle because it will cook fast. If you look at the tip of a rice and if it is pure white then it is new rice. As the rice ages the entire grain will be kind of dull colour. It is difficult to get grainy consistency with new rice that's why we use them in making pongal. If you buy new rice by mistake don't worry... just store it properly and after a month or so it'll age.

I hope I have answered clearly.

Latha

3. Susila

Susila New IL'ite

Hello Lathaji,

Thank you so much for this detailed reply. It had many good tips.
    I searched Tips thread, but did not find it. Maybe I did not look properly.
    I am now buying the american long grain rice and I cooked it for three whistles, but it became sticky. I will reduce water and cook for two whistles.

Susi

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009