Payasam/Kheer

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by anupamakalyan, Jun 23, 2008.

1. anupamakalyan

anupamakalyan Senior IL'ite

Hi all

I am putting up the recipe of Payasam/Kheer which I learnt from amma n paati(mom's mom) This was original recipe of my Bombay paati(my paati's sister in law who was in Bombay)....Thought of sharing this delicious payasam without much stirring effect and effort with all of you ..Hope I am not repeating the recipe already put up here..Well I searched and did not find similar one..if already there , then sorry to add this again

To make 4 bowls
    Ingrdients
    1)Milk 2 lts
    2)Saffron flower(kunguma poo) a pinch(No artificial colour pls)
    3)Sugar 2-3 cups( depends on How sweet your family prefers)
    4)Elakkai podi(elaichi powder)
    3)Sona masuri rice (3/4th cup or even less..I take it as 1 handful closed...like oru pidi for 1 ltr..u can use the kerala red rice boiled and broken as well if your family likes)
    5)last but not the least you definitely need a cooker:)

Total time required = 1.5 hrs
    time required for the gas=45- 50 min
    Stiiring effort= 10 min :)

Procedure :This is done in three phases

Phase 1:
    a)Pour the milk into cooker and bring it to boiling. be sure that the cooker is only 1/2 or little more than 1/2 filled and not fully filled
    b)When the milk has boiled for say 5 mins add washed rice into this and stir well
    c)Wait for 2 mins for the milk to boil again, Add saffron
    d)Now close the cooker with the whistle!! and leave the flame in Simmer for exactly 20 min
    e)turn the gas off after 20 min(Dont be surprised you would have not heard the whistle..It never comes)
    f)Dont open the lid of the cooker and wait for the steam to be released by itself

Phase 2
    a) After the steam is released completely by the cooker, open it
    b) Keep it on stove with full flame, add sugar and mix for 2 mins till the sugar is dissolved or the milk has started to boil, which ever earlier
    c)Now close the cooker with whistle and leave for 20 mins again in Simmer
    d) After 20 min turn the Gas off and wait for the steam to be released

Phase 3)
    a)After the steam is released , open the cooker , add elaichi powder
    b) If needed add fried cashew, badam,pista, dried grapes
    c)If needed you can add Gulab jal(Rose Water), NOT Rose essence(I used to add coz in north indian kheer we add Gulab jal(Rose Water), and thus My mil too likes it...in my home Gulab jal is not added)

The above said payasam has been made umpteen times by mom n paati @ home and every one who used to have it always asked

1) Did u add milk maid?
    2) did u add any colour

Trust me the colour and thickness of payasam would be great that every one will be forced to ask this questions on tasting it.but note we never added milkmaid nor color, it was the saffron in Cooked form which brought the color and the 20 min sim thing in a cooker which brought the consistency of the liquid!!

What I learnt from my mistakes
    1) I was eager to make lots of payasam and added 1 cup rice to 1ltr milk...Can you belive it had turned out to be pal rice ....not even a drop of milk to drink in the payasam

"Payasam payasam everywhere, and Not a drop to drinkbonk"

2)Add rice first and allow the rice to cook and then add sugar and disolve it
    After adding sugar nothing in payasam gets cooked....

I wasted a lot of cooking gas in the process of cooking uncooked rice in my payasam after adding sugar, I thought the sugar would sweeten the rice when it will be cooked....What a brain and Cooking expertise I had u can seebonk
    Finally called up mom about the issue and became a good topic to laugh for around 2 weeks!

Hope this was useful to you people....I am not a great cook like my mom, or my paati or my mil, But I can learn from them and put it here for u great ppl

Cheers!!
    Anu

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anupama,

Very good recipe. It is 'pal payasam' but the method is new to me. Let me try once and then give you a feed back. ( but you have to :coffee for some time to get my feed back because I am in diet nowbonk) But I will prepare this yummy payasam:crazy in near future. Thanks for sharing with us.Bow

3. anupamakalyan

Thanks a lot krishnaama!!
    Seriously this FB from you so instantly made my day

Thanks
    Anu!!

4. LakNar

LakNar Senior IL'ite

Hi

Nice recipe.. I make paal payasam only by the "cooker simmering method" It gives you that "kalyana" kheer look.. Thanks for the recipe

cheers
    Lakshmi

5. preetim29

preetim29 New IL'ite

Hi

Thanks for posting the recipe.. I tried the recipe it was very delicious.

6. anupamakalyan

Thanks for trying this method of preparation and giving the FB as well!!! preeti....

Cheers!!
    Anu

7. lakshmy

lakshmy Senior IL'ite

hi anupama,

nice recipe..... i also want to try this today itself.... i used to add milk maid...... with out that i want to try.... my kids like pal palyasam very much
    cheers
    lakshmy

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

nice recipe, Anupama! the description makes me drool... amma also makes payasam this way but not the 2nd stage. She cooks the payasam directly on stove after adding sugar. Incidentally my cousin in Mumbai also makes exactly as described by you and i certify that it's the best paal payasam i have ever tasted. I'll try this for sure...

Latha

9. anupamakalyan

Hi lakshmy

Thanks for he FB, Nice to know ur kids too like payasam.....hope they like this one too....

Cheers!!
    Anu

10. anupamakalyan

Hi lathamewhere in mumbai ,
    As you rightly said..this was discovered so and even now we know it as bombay paati's recipe....You must try with the second phase as well and get to know the taste difference....well such things for fast life where you dont have time and effort for stirring and getting the payasam into thicker taste are majorly discovered by ppl in bombay......

Thanks for your FB

Cheers!!
    Anu