Diabetic friendly recipes please

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Sandhya13, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

I am very sad and depressed of late worry about my DH. We recently (infact accidentally) found out that my DH has very high sugar. He is only 31 years old. I think he inherited this. His family background: His dad died of heart attack at the age of 38 (nobody knew if he had sugar or not). It was a huge shock to the entire family. His maternal grand mom had extreme sugar and lost her eye sight and legs due to it during her final years.

I had gestational diabetes during pregnancy and I am now completely normal. My sugar levels are normal even after high carb/sugar intake. None in my family (both sides) had diabetes though. I still had the apparatus that I used before to check blood sugar and just tried on my DH to have an idea about his readings. They said we are not supposed to share the apparatus on more than one person; hence did not try before. i am glad we did check now at least. We were shocked to see his reading as 330. His fasting is 200. Not even once his reading is below 200 and after food it is always above 300. He must have had high sugar for a while I believe.

Is this extremely high? Do anyone have experience in controlling high sugar by diet?

It is hard to convince him to book a doctor appointment. He totally dismisses it saying we will worry about it later (after a few years). But I am loosing my peace over this. Even last night he had ice cream. Not at all serious about this. His health is utmost important for me and I want to do everything I can to make him healthy.

Could you ladies suggest diabetic friendly vegetarian food recipes especially idly recipes (i.e. without rice)? My DH likes idly a lot.

Also how can I use flaxseeds in my daily food? I came to know this reduces bad cholesterol. He doesn't eat cereals and so I have to include it in idly/dosa etc. Can I just add powdered flax seeds to the idly/dosa batter just before preparing idly/dosa? Or should I add it before fermentation?

My sincere thanks to @Shanvy for opening a thread on Lunch ideas sans rice. I cant put in words how grateful I am for this. I have so many recipes in one place which is awesome. How could you come up with so many ideas without rice? I am speechless. You are extremely talented and have excellent culinary skills. Perhaps this thread has the idly recipes I am looking for. I have just started reading the threads. So many pages to go through...

But these posts do not have the actual preparation steps. I guess I will Google the name of the dishes and try to find out. I think some of them are easy enough to prepare without having to see the preparation steps.

P.S: Moderators, please move this to appropriate forum incase this is not the place for this. I was confused whether to put it under one of the sub-forums for Food or under Health.

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Hi Sandhya - soak half a teaspoon of methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) in 4-5 tbl spn water. Let your H drink this water on empty stomach. If he can eat few seeds also, that will be better. Flex seeds powder you can add in any gravy or sambar, like garnish, just before serving.Soak green moong (whole) for 6-8 hours. Boil them. Serve them like salad or chaat. Green moong help in controlling blood sugar.Will add as and when I remember other things.Tc and don't worry, sugar can be controlled with right diet.

1 person likes this.
  3. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

image.jpg
    This is how I make green moong.

in my opinion, eating small portions frequently is the way to control blood sugar. So instead of thinking on things which should not be eaten, concentrate on what can be eaten.

4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @radv for your suggestions. It is very helpful.

5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Sandhya13, Sorry to hear about DH's condition. You should definitely seek a doctor - ayurvedic or allopathic. Usually allopathic doctors prescribe metformin to bring the sugar levels into control. Medication, diet and exercise can keep the sugar levels in control. You can probably go for walks with DH to motivate him or play tennis/badminton etc. Yoga is also pretty effective.

Its also important to eat smaller meals - 6 meals a day instead of 3.

Eating karela, neem leaves, methi seeds also has beneficial effect.

I know many people who have been diabetic since long lead a long life. So please dont think negative. Times have changed and as long as you take care of your health, you can pretty much beat diabetes.

Sending you lots of hugs.

6. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

You have asked for diabetic friendly recipes, like you already mentioned Shanvy's thread has lots of ideas.

The main idea is to incorporate more fibre so you feel full eating smaller quantity. Drinking buttermilk, soups, eating fresh veggies are other ideas. You can easily replace rice in idlies with whole jowar, cracked wheat and ragi. Same can be done for dosas too. Try to increase veggies. For eg if you usually cook sambhar with one veggie, try adding 2 veggies. Eating small amounts of sprouts can keep you full too.

Oats is another wonderful addition. You can have oats porridge, oats upma, oats idli (replace rice with oats), oats dosa.

Ragi is also very good for diabetics. You can make ragi muddhe and eat it with sambar/rasam/curds.

You also get millet in some stores, you can soak it the previous night and use it in place of rice. Its very filling.

7. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @butterflyice for your kind words and suggestions. Your posts are very informative. Not just this one, but you also helped me with my queries on parenting forum as well. It is very nice of you. Thanks again! I greatly appreciate it.

8. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

It is because of people like you this forum is extremely successful and useful. :thumbsup

9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This is a logical forum for your question - it spans both health and diet. Others will benefit from this discussion (& recipes!).

I think your husband ought to take his family history very seriously. He needs to get a full physical right away. Diabetes and heart disease have genetic components and can be progressive. Early intervention and continuous monitoring is key. If caught early, debilitating effects can be avoided or even reversed.

I think you should up the ante - if an anniversary or birthday is coming up, just make an appointment for him with his primary care physician and say that the only gift you want is for him to get a comprehensive physical and follow-through on the findings.

As for diet, here is a good place to start for an overall perspective. This is the best survey available of all the data from research studies. Although it's getting a bit old, it's a good starting point. Completely solid on the science, no fad biases. You can tack on other info to the basics from here. Your PCP should be able to put you in touch with a dietitian to create a suitable diet plan.

10. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you @sokanasanah for taking time to reply to me. After a lot of pestering, my DH agreed for a full medical evaluation but not now. He wants to do it when we go for India vacation in Sep. Meanwhile he is exercising daily (he is not overweight but no matter what exercising does help, right?) He has otherwise a pretty sedentary lifestyle. (he doesn't move a lot at workplace.. just sits and works in his computer.. another thing is he hates to even move a foot after having food shakehead ) Now I am struggling to make him eat healthy. He is a very very picky eater and some times very stubborn (doesn't like anything other than white rice). It is very challenging. I am taking one step at a time.