Indian food recipes with less carb and gluten free

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Priya16, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I'm looking for Indian food recipes with less carbs and gluten free.

Please share recipes with me.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi Priya,

For gluten free, you need to completely avoid wheat and wheat products like suji,maida, barley and oats.

Instead you can use jowar and jowar ravva.
    jowar flour, Bajra flour, ragi flour, quinoa are gluten free.

with jowar and bajra you can make rotis similar to wheat roti.
    with ragi flour also you can make rotis.

quinoa can be used as a substitute for rice, you can make pulao with it. or you can eat with curry. (please search in google, as there are quite few recipes)

As above all are whole grains, they have less carbs and more protein than rice.

If you use brown rice instead of white rice, you can get less carbs and more nutrition for rice also.

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear KashmirFlower,

Thanks for the inputs.I'll look into jowar and Bajra.I never used them before but do know those names.

I do use Quinoa and getting into it more.

Dr said,no brown rice also.Not sure why :-(

I started searching more about it.I found Amarnath grains and planning to make upma over the week end.

Need to experiment more with jowar and bajra though.

Keep me posted if you have any receips.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ragi, jowar, bajra. corn grits that you get in the us. you can make idlis and dosas out of all these. you can make with urad and methi 50:50, complete urad or just methi.

steel cut oats, that is not contaminated with wheat..i am sure there are brands there that mention this.

use whole moong make dosa/pesarattu/idli out of this.

use besan- makes chillas, rotis and also adai.

you get a 16 bean pack which can again be used to make adai..or lentil crisp..

arrowroot flour that we often link with porridges/starch for clothes is a gluten free flour. makes a good baking alternative and even our rotis.

tapioca flour is gluten free.

soy flour is gluten free provided it does not get contaminated in the grinding process. you can make dosas/ rotis and tofu out of this at home.

sago flour or just plain sago is gluten free. can be used to make porridge/ upma..

the amaranth, the proso millet, barnyard millets, the kodo millet and the foxtail millet are all gluten free and can be used in lieu of rice, can be used to make idlis, pongal and latest i made snacks for diwali out of them.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...ian-lunch-ideas-sans-rice-60.html#post3253645

so join us in the indian lunch thread priya..we can figure out ways..

it is not so hard..once you want it badly..

2 people like this.
  5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanvy,

I fallow the Indian Lunch ideas sans rice thread.I completely get lost by looking at your inventions.inventions. Probably my cooking and experiment is 5% of what you do.

I really salute all of you who participate in the thread with wide variety of food.Lot of times I get surprised for different variety of food.

I never experiment with Jowar or Bajra but it’s on the plan to do some.
    Typically I use urad dal and brown rice 50:50,that’s the way family got used for it and I’m not sure why dr said brown rice is gluten.No idea.
    But will keep in mind about jowar and bajra next time.I suppose to not to use much corn because of my RA.
    I heard they sell Gluten Free Oats.Will try to get them next time.
    I mostly use green gram dosa or moog dal for myself in the house. And keep regular dosa for family.
    I’m really happy if you could give me something with ragi(kind of malt) without fermentation. I shouldn't eat fermented foods.

I just got amaranth and planning to make Upma.

Need to experiment on millets. Never did anything with millet.

Please let me know one simple millet and will go from there. :)

6. KashmirFlower

Hi Priya,

May be for your health condition, lot of insoluble fiber in food can irritate your gut, may be that's why doc said not to have brown rice.

Do you have problem with fresh salads like lettuce etc?

Do u have problem with nuts like kaju, peanuts?

I am not sure about brown rice and gluten connection.

7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Personally I never felt anything wrong with eating salad or anything.

But the Dr (he is Ayurveda/Natuorapthy) told,no raw food,nor kaju or peants.He I said,I can eat other nuts but not peanets and kaju.

I don't know what he saw but he said,I'm not digesting food well and asked me to eat mostly cooked/semi cooked but not raw.

8. KashmirFlower

If you have any diagnosed health issue related to your stomach/gut. If yes, did u meet gerontologist or some other related doctor too, to get second opinion.

I am telling this, because if you don't have any such problem ( allergic to gluten etc), u might be unnecessarily avoiding all healthy food, when you r not allergic to these.

Just a suggestion to double check.

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

10. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame