Why doesn't my coconut chutney become homogenous?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Imblessed, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

Whenever I prepare coconut chutney from freshly grated coconut, the water and the coconut particles taste separately. There is no homogeneity in the final product. I have the Magic Bullet and NutriBullet grinders.
    My Mom used to prepare it with the stone grinder where we have to do it by hand.. it tastes amazing. Is it not possible to have that taste and homogeneity by mixer?
    I also put some roasted chickpeas in it while grinding. still it doesn't help. where am I going wrong?

2. mbharani

mbharani Gold IL'ite

If your using frozen grated coconut just microwave it for 30 secs or 1 minute and then grind it then the chutney will be fine like the way your mom would do.:)

1 person likes this.
  3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Fresh or frozen coconut, use warm water to grind. The minute you add either cold or room temperature water, the water and coconut will be separate. Learnt this the hard way :)

2 people like this.
  4. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Increase your grinding time. Grind till everything get combined.

First grind the coconut without adding water, chickpeas, chilli or anything.
    Once it become fine shredded particles, add chickpeas, chilli and very little water.
    Once everything get combined add little more water.
    Continue this process till you get the chutney consistency.

If you are using the coconut from fridge, bring them to room temperature before 10 to 15 min. Or microwave them for 30 sec before grinding.

2 people like this.
  5. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

hi,

may be you are using frozen coconut , try keeping it room temperature for a while, then grind. try adding warm water for grinding,

regards
    resmij

1 person likes this.
  6. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

Thank you ladies.. I will try all your tricks.
    I use both frozen and fresh coconut.. but add cold water.

7. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Increase quantity of chickpeas to little more and grind all ingredients to very smooth paste and then add water and grind once again..

8. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

I have the same problem of water separating from coconut. I use hot water and warm the coconut in the microwave. I think for me the problem is the foreign mixie. Back in India I never had this problem. So I am planning to bring Indian mixie to US in our next trip to India. And yeah adding lightly roasted dalia to chutney will help to thicken and prevent separation.

9. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

What works for me:

I actually toast my grated coconut (fresh or bought from store).

I'll heat a pan, add a little bit of oil, sometimes methi seed (just a few), then add besan (chana flour) and lightly toast that. Then I add my grated coconut and toast that a bit. It warms it up and releases more flavor. I don't toast it too dark, just until it's starting to brown.

Finally, I'll add the water to that. Let it sit covered for 5-10 minutes for the flavors to all come together and cool down so I don't have any heat blasts when i'm grinding.

Then I'll throw this in batches through the Magic Bullet along with the lemon juice, cilantro, green chills and salt. I also add in a couple of spoons of yogurt which helps keep it longer and binds the chutney with a nice texture. Works well and smells amazing.

It's all topped with ghee chowk with mustard seed, dried red chilli and curry leaves.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  10. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

You should try the warm water technique of DKI.. If you grind the chutney longer oil form coconut will start separating and it will not be good. Warm water will help.

1 person likes this.