Recipe for veg puloa for 15 people.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Swethasri, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I need the ingredients quantity to make simple puloa. Planning to do for birthday party. Total 15 people. I normally follow Vah chef recipe for my family but I wanted to know the ratio like how much rice how much to put the spices for 15 people. Also wanted to know ratio for sambar. how much is the sambar powder(I use MTR madras sambar powder) and use tamarind paste. So I need to know how much sambar powder,toor dal and tamarind paste.Please help me. Doing this for the first time. Need fool proof recipe and ratios.

The food items are one set of itemPuloa raitha chips and peanut and chick pea salad, Second set isIdli,sambar and chutney, sweet- carrot halwa

The things needed for dinners are foil trays to keep the food, spoon fork,tissues,small bowls,big and small plates,cups for water and juice

Ofcourse cake and juice as soon as all come home. Dont want to take a party hall. Want to do it at home. Timing is like 4.30 to 8.30pm

Please let me know and also any ideas suggestions are welcome.

mainly I need help in doing the puloa and sambar.

Thankyou so much.

2. Swethasri

Please please friends, help me.

3. Swethasri

Did i post this in a wrong thread?? Please help. More than 100 views but no reply???

4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

OP: I am sorry you have not been getting replies. I really wish I could help you. Although I cook for big crowds when I have party mine is always estimate with eye never measured anything. I wish some one will help you..

2 people like this.
  5. kalpavriksham

kalpavriksham Gold IL'ite

Madam,
    why dont you get help from Chitvish mams site?
    my humble suggestion.
    you can get any other useful information also. mam is literally a kind mother in teaching us all that in a very systematic way.
    pl. go to the site and make the best use of it.
    wishing the function a very grand one.

SAIRAM!

1 person likes this.
  6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You are going to have to find a recipe that gives the servings and then do the multiplication. Even the Sambar powder box should have serving amounts on the back. These will be adult servings so adjust if you have a lot of kids coming.

Just mentioning: I make a very simple carrot salad that goes nicely with spicey food. My friend from Hyd asks me for it. Finely grate carrots in a food processor (making long strings not chopped in mixie) and just mix it with raisins (golden ones are good but black are also ok) and some mayo to taste. For a party you should use at least a pound of carrots and probably it will take a half box of raisins.

1 person likes this.
  7. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

Happy Bday to your kid in Advance..

As you are arranging evening party, you can reduce the quantity of rice(puloa). For 15 people I would go with 5 cups of rice 2-3 cups of mixed veggies, if you are making in rice cooker(like 10 cups rice cooker), make the curry and mix with rice, while making curry with veggies, make onion-tomoto paste along with ginger-galic-green chillie paste and pudina paste for flavor and aroma, when comes to spices, while making curry itself you can adjust it by tasting it while making it. you can use National biryani masala which gives awesome taste. If you want to make it at home freshely- can do like this: 1/3 cup of cloves, cinnamon sticks, 4-5 elachi, 4 tbspoon dhaniya, jeera- dry roast all and grind it powder and add to your curry.

When you are inviting kids also to the party, they prefer finger foods like some pakoda or aloo tikkies or bread sandwiches or frozen samosas like that, you can add 1 or 2 appetizers along with main meal.

As for as sambar goes, you can cook 3-4 cups of raw tur dal, 1/4 cup of tamarind juice and mixed veggies will increase the quantity. Did you plan number of idlies for 15 people, 2-3 idlies per person will be the count.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  8. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Hi op,
    though Im unable give you the exact amount of measurements for the sambar, I can tell you the method I follow when I prepare for more number of people,
    I use more than two veggie as it increase the quantity and taste.

I grind the masala and add to the sambar along with the homemade sambar powder. It will increase the quantity and gives thickness. I'm giving you the recipe below.

Add more thoor dal, like if you are using 1cup for regular now add 2 or 2 and half cup. Don't add more it will turn more like a dal than sambar.

Coming to tamarind I use the regular tamarind not the paste. So use small lemon size tamarind. While cooking if you feel the tamarind is less add a very less amount of tamarind paste to it.

As you are preparing sambar for idly you can add onion and tomato for the flavor.

Masala for sambar: (I'm giving for 2 to 4 people, you can adjust)
    dhaniya -2 tbsp
    chana dal - 2 tbsp
    coconut - 1/4 cup
    red chilli - 2 to 4 (adjust with your sambar powder spice)
    fenugreek - 1 tsp
    curry leaves - 4,5
    fry all these in 1tsp oil except coconut and grind it adding water along with coconut.
    Hope it helps.

1 person likes this.
  9. Swethasri

KP, I like your Idea. will definitely ask Chitra madam. Thanks for the wishes. Will post some pictures after the party.

10. Swethasri

no the package didnt say any thing but now after going thro a lot of post here I got an idea how much to do. Thanks for your idea on salad.