How to use thin poha/aval?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by karanu, Sep 24, 2014.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Dear ladies, I bought a packet of thin poha (aval) by mistake. I usually use thick aval for making poha. When I tried with the thin variety, it came out like a lump :-( Any recipes where I could use this? Please suggest!

2. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

You can prepare sweet poha. Mix coconut and jaggery. To that you can add thin poha. If you need sprinkle some water. It tastes good

1 person likes this.
  3. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

u can use thin poha too for a poha. dont soak it just sprinkle water or buttermilk or tamarind water to poha n do asusal to make poha.try dis n let me know the result

3 people like this.
  4. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi dear.We use thin poha for making dadpe pohe.Here's the recipe.
    In a bowl mix finely chopped onions, finely chopped tomatoes,roasted peanuts,salt,sugar and lemon juice.Add the thin poha and mix well.We use it without washing like we do for semolina otherwise it becomes mushy.This poha doesn't need to be cooked...just add the hot tempering and it is done.n a pan add some oil.Add mustard seeds,green chillies allow it to temper.Then add this to the poha and mix well.If you want you can garnish with some fried crushed papad.

3 people like this.
  5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

you can still make poha with thin variety. Just follow this method (even for any variety of poha)

Take a soup strainer. Put the required poha. Show it under a running tap till it becomes damp

Leave the strainer with moistened poha aside and do the preparations. follow your normal procedure.

You will get perfect poha. Poha soaking.JPG

1 person likes this.
  7. uma927

uma927 Bronze IL'ite

you can use this poha while soaking rice and urdu dhal for your idali batter, This makes the batter white and soft.

You can just wash and keep it the strainer and can add sugar and coconut tiruvals and can be eaten as evening snacks.

You can add while making payasam but see that u add it at the end.

Some of the poha, i keep in the plate and when i make chicken fry, i add the chicken which is kept with masala and press before dipping into the oil on this poha. the poha gets around in the chicken and when it fried it give a crispy nature to chicken fry and serve hot to my son, he loves this taste.

1 person likes this.