Planning a snacks menu for my kid's birthday party

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by karanu, Sep 23, 2014.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Dear ladies,

I need your suggestions on what I could serve for snacks (5 - 7 PM) for my daughter's birthday party. I'm expecting around 30 guests (15 adults + 15 children). The party will be in a separate hall, so I can only reheat food there in a MW. I enquired with a couple of caterers - either I'm not happy with their menu or their prices are too high or they are not interested to cater to a small party.

So I'm thinking if I could prepare the snacks myself. The only challenge is that the party is on a Sunday and my daughter wouldn't have school in the mornings. She wouldn't let me spend a lot of time in the kitchen :) So I might have to do some prep on Sat night itself.

I have these ideas in mind:
    - veg cutlets or patties
    - veg sandwiches
    - bhel puri
    - pav bhaji (might turn cold)
    - pasta (it might become cold and dry)
    - fruit custard

Planning to buy gulab jamuns, potato chips and some juice. Already ordered the cake.

Anything else I can prepare, with not too much of effort?

Thanks in advance!

2. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi.Wishing your daughter a very happy birthday in advance.Here are a few ideas.Hope it helps.
    1)Sandwich house-Easy to make and looks good too.Instead of making vegetable sandwiches I would suggest you to keep it plain.Use different spreads-jam,chutney,etc.
    2)Coconut ladoos-Made by mixing Milkmaid,dessicated coconut and cardamom powder and heating it on a flame till it gets well mixed.Let it cool down and shape it in the form of ladoos.Roll it into dessicated coconut.Put each ladoo into a papercup.You can make it prior and keep them in the fridge.
    3)Home-made salsa with store brought nacho chips or good old potato chips
    4)Canapes-Just make the filling and keep.At the last moment you can just fill them in the canape shells.
    5)Corn bhel
    6)As you said pav bhaji-that too would be a good idea.You can just heat it in the microwave at the last moment

1 person likes this.
  3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

You can try a make it yourself bhel stand....keep all the ingredients in separate bowls, and bowls and spoons. The adults would love this, and even if kids don't want the bhel puri itself, they are always interested in snacking on the different dry ingredients

Masala Popcorn...If you get micowave popcorn, it will be easy since you already have a microwave there. And you can pop one or 2 bags as and when it finishes.. For the masala : Add a little chaat masala to the popcorn after you remove it and toss it in the bowl.

1 person likes this.
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I just took this to a two year old birthday party and it went over big. Mix very ripe bananas and egg in a blender (I used four bananas and five eggs) with some besan. Fry small pancakes and then drizzle them with honey. It made a platter of them.

1 person likes this.