Paneer too wet!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by ZenSojourner, Sep 23, 2014.

1. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

I've been making paneer for 35 years and never had a problem 'til today. Today the paneer is wet and soupy! I have never seen such a thing!

I started with Vit D milk (3.5%) as usual. Heated to 165F, added lemon juice, curd seemed to separate and left the greenish whey. All as usual.

But when I put it through the (muslin lined) strainer, it drained very very slowly, the curds were very small, and even trying to squeeze it just seemed to push the curds through the muslin. It stays soupy and wet.

We have moved to almost 1 mile in altitude - could altitude be causing a problem? We are at 4500 feet now.

I have never ever seen anything like this! Even the very first time I made paneer, it was easy and came out fine. Help!

2. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

I think heating the milk until 180F or 200F will give the best result. I made the same mistake this time, not heating the milk until it is bubbling. The result was very smaller curds and paneer was breaking a part. But I was not sure as I added powdered milk to the whole milk for the first time. I thought it might me be the reason for smaller curd. Also I did not wait until it was boiling. I want to try next time by heating the milk for some more time. Hope it helps.