what to serve guests who are on a low-carb diet?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by 1Sandhya, Sep 21, 2014.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Hrastro's thread gave me the idea to post here to get suggestions.

The situation: You are an Indian family, normally eating Indian style meals, primarily veggie or maybe occasionally some non-veg outside but non-veg is not cooked inside your home. You are asked to host some out-of-town Indian friends you haven't met in a long time for a few days. Guests show up and announce one is doing south beach and another is low carb. All Indian subjis/dals/sambhar come under 'carb' for them. They will not touch it. They eat meat only and lots of it and v limited amount of brown rice only. They are open to veggie sources of high protein. What would be some dishes you serve them? Breakfast (other than eggs), lunch and dinner.

Please give me suggestions.

2. nazeem

nazeem New IL'ite

Hi u can give them moongdal ,channa dal gravy ,fish curies.these r all high source of protien.and u can give fruit salads, and vegetable salads more.

1 person likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I would give them directions to the nearest all-you-can eat Brazilian churrascaria, wish them bon appetit, then put up my feet and relax ;-)!

7 people like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm one of those primarily meat-eating low carbers, but I'd never expect my friends to put up with my dietary proclivities. Since you asked for options, if I had to eat vegetarian for a couple of days, these are a few things I'd eat:

- Eggs, eggs and more eggs (If you are the egg eating vegetarian sort)
    - Salads with legumes or nuts
    - Any dish with veggies and tofu/paneer (Thai curries/stir fries/Indian curries)
    - Quinoa salad/Quinoa pilaf
    - Cheesy, veggie soups (Cream of broccoli, asparagus, leeks etc.)
    - Chick peas or kidney beans in all their myriad avatars (Falafel with hummus is a fantastic pairing)
    - Indian dals but I wouldn't pair them with another starch, as they are high in carbs by themselves.
    - Noodles/pasta made with Shirataki noodles (Available at Whole foods but cooking with these is tricky. By themselves they taste like something fished out of a pond)
    - Fruits and Greek yogurt

That list should keep most low-carbers fairly happy for a few days. If your guests are Paleo however, I'd bend my knees and beg for mercy!

3 people like this.
  5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I offered to make moongdal, channadal but they felt it was carb. We dont cook fish at home. Giving salads is a good idea.

6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Haha! but what about the 'atithi devo bhava' aspect of our makeup? Cant shunt our houseguests off like that :) Eating out was an option and we did resort to that, except that we all went out together, it gets to be very expensive..and allowing them to pay or split the bill is not an option.

1 person likes this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestions! These are really good. Can you also suggest specific examples of acceptable salads and veggies (I bolded the options you suggested). I am not up on the terminology so far as paleo, low carb and south beach goes but I gather some veggies are verboten and some are okay. For example I made a paneer + veggies subji and they picked out all the paneer and left all the carrots! :(

For chickpeas, I only know chole, sundal and falafel. Any other avatars?

Thanks again!

8. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

You already have a good list of options suggested by Gauri.
    Just adding some more below

You can make mixed beans(black eye peas/channa/green channa) curry in pressure cooker with less oil and serve with quinoa. Or just make channa masala with less oil and serve with quinoa or wheat/multigrain bread.

How about palak panner/palak tofu ? Sounds like they like paneer.

Make green moong dal dosa . Just Soak green moong for few hours and then grind it with green chillies and ginger . Dosa batter is ready . Serve with any vegetable chutney.

Simple Salad : Soak and boiled chickpeas + grated carrots +chopped cucumber + finely chopped onions + tomatoes . Sprinkle pepper and salt .Add lemon juice just before serving. This runs out pretty good and is quite filling.
    You could replace chick peas with sprouted green moong

1 person likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow. You are an amazing host! Wish I had such hosts.
    I would serve zoodles(Zuchini noodles) with sauce and salads with lots of legumes and boiled eggs on the side. Quinoa with regular chole/rajma/mixed beans(no oil slow cooker version) and brocolli/cauliflower/boo choy etc either steamed or stir fried.
    Hummus/tzaziki and celery.
    Lettuce wraps - replace rotis with lettuce leaves and let them make their own wrap. I use mozzarella pearls, feta cheese, beans of various kinds, quinoa, red and yellow peppers, grated carrots, home made salsa, brocolli, edamame etc (you get the idea).

Quinoa bisi bele bath with very little quinoa and more of acceptable beans and little dals and veggies (no idea why anyone will give up dals).

Greek yogurt and fruits.
    If you have a grill outdoors, just marinate a whole bunch of veggies and paneer and grill using skewers. Makes a hearty meal and a fun BBQ party. (You can even make baked potatoes and other things for yourself, you don't need to endure a carb withdrawal because of your guests).

Or I would ask them precisely what veggies you can cook for them from x,y,z option and hopefully they will be kind enough to pick one and not impose on you.

2 people like this.
  10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

hmm.., I never thought of mixed bean curry. new one. what kind of curry is this? would the seasoning for it be similar like for chole?

Pesarattu! wow, didnt even occur to me. Adai should also work, right? Great suggestions, thanks. I will try the chickpea salad. thanks a lot for sharing the recipe!