how to keep mint leaf (pudina) and coriander leaf (malli leaf) stay longer in fridge

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by farhana, Sep 14, 2014.

1. farhana

farhana Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I would like to know how to keep the mint leaf (pudina) and coriander leaf (malli leaf) stay longer in fridge. Usually mine will wilt easily the next day even when i kept it wrapped with papers inside a box.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: how to keep mint leaf (pudina) and coriander leaf (malli leaf) stay longer in fri

Hello Farhana

Clean mint leaves or coriander leave and keep them in a plastic container, before closing the lid keep a tissue paper on top and close the lid. I always do this and it remains fresh as I have brought it for 10 to 12 days.

4 people like this.
  3. ammumadhu

ammumadhu New IL'ite

Re: how to keep mint leaf (pudina) and coriander leaf (malli leaf) stay longer in fri

Wrap it up with a news paper and then put it in the cover and refrigerate..

4. chandrakiran

chandrakiran Silver IL'ite

I have found a better way of storing Mint/Coriander/Curry leaves. Line the plastic container that you use to store them with a banana leaf piece. Cover totally with the banana leaf. Close the box and store in fridge. I find it lasts much longer and fresh.
    Pudina leaves do not blacken, and coriander does not become yellow. Try it!

1 person likes this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Wrap it in a kitchen paper towel and put it in a airtight container and it will stay fresh for a week.

1 person likes this.
  6. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

I clean the leaves (remove the roots) and soak them in water until they look fresh. Then I pat them dry and wrap them in kitchen towel and place them in a sealable plastic or plastic container. It will last for at least a week.

7. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

I wash the leaves and wrap it in a cloth and leave it for one hour outside, till the wetness is absorbed by the cloth and the leaves are no more damp. Then I chop them and store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Usually 7-10 days the leaves are fresh. I use them mostly within a week as I put coriander in almost all curries.

8. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

I was also looking for some answer for same thing as my coriander leaves used to be bad after 2- 3days. I did follow you idea and my coriander leaves are fresh in fridge for now 5 days. Thanks a lot Arunaji.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

You can also chop them and then put chopped leaves in ice cube tray and then pour water on them and then freeze the ice cube tray . Once set remove cubes and store in a ziplock bag in freezer. You can add that to the curries. Or i store them in a plastic bag with a few holes in it in the vegetable section of the fridge it stays fresh for at least a week.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  10. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Rinse the curry leaves and put them in a tall glass - one made out of GLASS, not plastic or something - with enough water to cover about 2" of stem or roots. Put a plastic cover loosely over the top so the tops don't dry out. Change the water every couple of days and switch the plastic cover around or dry off the inside. They will keep for 3 weeks or so in the fridge - longer if they still have the roots on. Rarely I have seen rooted coriander put out new leaves while in water in the fridge this way.