recipe for naan plz

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Weasly, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Can someone plz tell me the recipe for naan??! I have tried making it in oven but it turns out hard never soft!! Please share ur recipe for naan n which appliance to use for making it!

2. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I tried naan recipe from madhurasrecipe.com. I followed the recipe exactly what she said, it was very good and soft.

Regards,
    shreya

2 people like this.
  3. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

hey thanx shreya
    i just saw the video on youtube ill try it that way! Hope it wrks this time! My husband likes naan a lot n we end up spending a lot out in the restaurant bcz of this!

4. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

Hey, i mainly make non yeast naan making use of baking soda and baking powder. Proportions vary depending on which recipe i choose while googling.;-). One recipe is:

Ingredients

2 cups All Purpose Flour
    ¾ tsp Baking Powder
    ½ tsp Baking Soda
    ½ tsp Sugar
    1 tsp Salt
    ½ cup Warm Milk
    ½ cup Warm Plain Yogurt
    Optional Toppings: Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes, Ginger, Green Onions, Cilantro, Butter etc

i also add flaxseed powder mixed in warm water( 1 tbspoon flaxseed powder with 3 tbspoons of water , which becomes gooey as egg , as egg substitute to it.this makes it soft. One thing to keep in mind , add liquids wisely little by little till required consistency of dough is achieved.

also i dont use oven for this. Just roll the naan while the tava gets hot. Then wet one side of the naan with water. rub water over one side and make some dents on this side by pressing with finger tips. Then put this side on the hot hava and let it cook. You will see bubbles rising, at this time just flip the whole tava so the other side of naan is on top of the direct flame and rotate the tava on this flame and cook the other side on open flame.

it comes out real great. Just see the actual method of doing this on you tube as i cant explain properly.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    5 people like this.
  5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have also seen recommended to bake the naan in a hot (like 400 F) oven on pizza stones or (more cheaply) on quarry tiles that you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's, etc. Cover your oven rack with the tiles and then throw the naans on it to bake.

1 person likes this.
  6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Thank u so much 2babymom , shina and tashidelek for the recipe! Thanx again! Ill try at home now :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

address pls! :hiya
    As a token of courtesy I can share my recipe: "drive, dine" :biggrin2:

2 people like this.
  8. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

Forget my recipe , i am going for yours. Most simple of all.
    yumsmiley

2 people like this.
  9. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

:)

Radhai and Shina, wud lv to hv ur company anytime!! hugsmileyBut no drive by but eat in!!!:mrgreen:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    2 people like this.
  10. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

hi weasly
    when you make naan in an oven , it is more convenient as you can make many at a go.

to make soft naan in an oven
    - oven has to be preheated to a very hot temperature .
    - put an aluminum foil on the baking tray and arrange the naans on the tray. rub the upper surface with some butter and put the tray in.
    - the oven should be so hot that the naans should be ready within 2-3 mins. no need to flip. the lower surface will get roasted and the upper surface will get the bubbles.
    - do not leave them in the oven to keep warm . they will harden.

on stove top
    - roll out naan and put on a dry tawa .
    - as the lower side is getting roasted apply butter or ghee to the upper surface.
    - when the lower side is adequately roasted remove from the tava and flip the upper surface directly on the flame like we do for phulkas. it will start getting bubbles . turn around and roast the whole surface properly.

on removing the naan from the flame or oven they should be eaten immediately or wrapped tightly in a cloth and then in aluminum foil

it is also important that the dough has fermented adequately for soft naans.
    you can add all variations in the dough like garlic , green chillies , methi , green onion etc. to make all types available in hotels.

2 people like this.