Origin of Balusahi (Badushah)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by GaythriV, May 16, 2014.

1. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Balushahi : is a traditional dessert in northern Indian Cuisine, Pakistani Cuisine, Nepali cuisine, and Bangladeshi cuisine. It is similar to a glazed doughnut in terms of ingredients, but differs in texture and taste. In South India, a similar pastry is known as Badushah.
    Balushahis are made of maida flour, and are deep-fried in clarified butter and then dipped in sugar syrup.

[​IMG]

Badushahs (also spelled Bhadushah) are made from a stiff dough made with all purpose flour, ghee and a pinch of baking soda. One-inch-diameter (25 mm), [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]2[/SUB]-inch-thick (13 mm) discs are shaped with hands, fried in ghee or oil and dunked in thick sugar syrup so that there is a sugar coating. They are very sweet, but tasty with a slightly flaky texture.

They are said to exhibit the traits of Mughal cuisine, possibly reflecting the trade and territorial relationships of the Mughal empire with the south. Badushah is sold in sweet shops in Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. Badushah have been served at Bimbis at Pazhvangadi in Thiruvananthapuram and at Sri Rama Vilas (better-known Gundappa's hotel).

Source: Wikipedia

3 people like this.

2. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Recipe of Badushah

Ingredients

Refined flour (maida) 1 1/2 cup
    Soda bicarbonate 1/4 teaspoon
    Ghee to deep fry 2/3 cup
    Yogurt 8 tablespoons
    Sugar 2 cups
    Milk 2 tablespoons
    Pistachios,chopped finely 4-5

Method

Sieve flour and soda bicarbonate together. Rub in two-thirds cup of ghee into the flour mixture till it resembles breadcrumbs. Add beaten yogurt and knead into a soft dough. Cover and allow it to stand for forty-five minutes. Divide into twelve equal portions and shape into smooth balls. Take care not to overwork the dough. Make a slight dent in the center of the ball with your thumb. Keep the balls covered. Heat sufficient ghee in a kadai and when it is medium hot, add the prepared dough balls and deep fry on very low heat. If necessary you may place a tawa below the kadai so that the oil does not get too hot. Gradually the balushahis will start floating to the top. Turn gently and fry on the other side till golden. The entire process may take around half an hour to forty five minutes. Drain and allow to cool to room temperature. This can be overnight process. Heat together sugar and one cup of water till it reaches a two-string consistency. Midway through add milk to the cooking syrup so that the scum rises to the surface. Carefully remove this scrum and discard. Remove the syrup from heat and soak the fried balushahis in it for thirty minutes. Gently remove the balushahis from the sugar syrup and place on a serving plate. Garnish with chopped pistachios. Serve when the sugar has hardened.

Source: Sanjeev Kapoor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2021
  3. Vijaya@17

Vijaya@17 Silver IL'ite

thank you for the nice recipe. Was thinking of making it for BJP NaMo victory. good timing ! will give my view after making it.

4. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Vijaya 17

5. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I am drooling here:crazy

1 person likes this.
  6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Thanks dear. I am yearning for this and I must have to pick up some the next time I go to the sweet-shop.

1 person likes this.
  7. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

@rkgurbani

Thanks for visiting here. why don't you try the recipe yourself?

8. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

You know GayathriV....much as I would love to...but I am not very good at making sweets. But now,with your encouragement, I think I must give it a try. Thanks

9. bugatti

bugatti New IL'ite

i like every thread that you post