Salt free recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by meetmeonline, May 7, 2014.

1. meetmeonline

meetmeonline Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have been advised to take salt free foods on Sundays. I have been fasting or having fruits and nuts only. Occasionally, I make banana pancakes and sugar paratha's but yes I do not like too much sweet things. So, it becomes difficult for me to resist my hunger. With fruits only I feel hungry too often. So, friends do you have ideas what I could make without salt and sugar. I need Indian Vegetarian without onion- garlic recipes. I have been searching for recipes on net, I end up getting desserts or low sodium recipes. Friends if you know any recipe without salt and sugar please do share here.

Thanks in Advance
    Sharmistha

2. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Curd rice without salt with cucumber and carrot added tastes good.

3. kanaka Raghavan

you can add dates fruits to your recipes.When you make sheera after removing from the stove you can add cut apples,mangoes.

4. kanaka Raghavan

you can take milkshakes with fruits,nuts and dates.

5. kanaka Raghavan

you can make parathas with aloo and have it with curd.

6. meetmeonline

meetmeonline Gold IL'ite

I will try this coming Sunday. Thanks for sharing. :)

7. meetmeonline

meetmeonline Gold IL'ite

True, I do take lots of fruits, fruit bowl,shakes but I feel hungry and do not like too much of sweet things. I will try your other recommendations soon. Thank you.

8. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can make oats dosa with lots of veggies or veg omlette (without egg). While powdering oats, add a dash of cumin seeds and pepper. You can have it without any side dish also.

9. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

A wonderful site for saatvik [ no onion/garlic ] recipes is manjulaskitchen dot com. She has a variety of recipes, even Western dishes like pasta, burgers adapted to Indian veggie flavors. Just avoid adding salt to the recipe as per your need.

Hope this helps.
    Divya.

1 person likes this.
  10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

It is a matter of getting used to not eating salt. If you start reducing the amount of salt you add to anything you make, you will find that you very quickly get used to the lack of salt. I can sense my brain registering new flavours since I started reducing salt... It was quite brilliant.

Boiled and mashed potatoes with just cracked black pepper on top is great; you could add a little milk while mashing to make it creamier.

Peas taste good without salt. So, peas parata would be a great choice. Carrot / beetroot Paratas too.

You can buy baby spinach leaves, chop and wilt it a little bit on the stove. Add roti flour to it and make a soft dough without adding any water. You could add jeera/ dhania powder if you wish. Then make out rotis.

Channa dal soaked in water and cooked with tomatoes is a good option. You can snack on roast split gram(daria?!)

if you have a conventional oven, you can just chop different veg in chunks, coat them with a bit of oil and oven roast them with cracked black pepper. If you don't have an oven, use a heavy bottomed pan to stir fry them such great they are cooked but stay separate. It tastes great - especially if you add tomatoes - they will melt into the other veg and add great flavour.

1 person likes this.