Curd rice - For travel

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Veni77, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Veni77

Veni77 Gold IL'ite

Friends,

Please suggest some ideas how to make the curd rice not to be sour during trips.

As the summer is set already very high in chennai, I am not sure how to make it.

recently prepared curd rice (about 1.5 glasses of rice) with nearly 1 litre milk and 1 small spoon of curd at 6AM and packed in stainless steel dabba. While having it at around 1PM, it was so damn sour and nobody could eat.

Please pour any suggestion to make it not very sour.

2. muthu21

muthu21 Gold IL'ite

avoid adding salt..
    also may be you added the milk while the rice is hot.. allow rice to cool in a wide basin/pan/plate for few mins then add milk/curd..

2 people like this.
  3. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

My MIl used to cook rice with milk.ie 1 cup rice, 1 1/2cup milk and 1 1/2 water.In this rice after cooling down u can add 1 spoon curd.

4. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Don't add salt. Carry salt in small box. Also don't add sour curd. Add fresh curd to milk and then prepare rice....

Also try not to add onions in curd rice... as it may give smell in the noon.

1 person likes this.
  5. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

As others ponted,add curd after cooling.You can mix tadka(muatard and hing) ,ginger,chilli,curry leaves and coriander leaves.You will love this.

1 person likes this.
  6. mayuras

mayuras Bronze IL'ite

Cook rice and mash while hot. Let it cool. add milk slowly and stir in. Again mash well, add salt, give tadka. Finally add just 1/2 tsp of curd. Transfer to steel dabba in which you are going to pack. Keep the dabba with curd rice in the pressure cooker and cook again for 2 or 3 whistles. This prevents the curd rice from becoming sour. Most important - do not touch the curd rice at any point of time. Use only spoon or ladle to mix, tranfer etc.

2 people like this.
  7. Veni77

Veni77 Gold IL'ite

Thanks friends..I added tadka...

But, I cud understand that I did two mistakes which spoilt the show...I added salt in the beginning and also, kept my hands for tasting once or twice.

but, cooking the rice with milk directly and pressure cooking after mixing the curd are totally new to me..but, let me try these and check.

8. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hi ladies,

here is my version.

Keep extra water while cooking the rice. i.e. if you keep 1:2.5 for normal cooking means, keep 1: 3 or 1 : 3.5 water and cook rice.

Keep one or 2 whistle extra.

After opening the cooker, mash the hot, cooked rice with a ladle.

Put 50 grams of butter in it and smash well. Yes, for 2 cups of rice add 50 - 75 grams of butter and mash.

Add salt and asafoetida powder and smash well.

Add water if needed.

Or even you can add milk in this stage.

Now you can make seasoning with mustard seeds, udad dal, green chilly, grated ginger and curry leaves.

Mix well. Now add ( if you want) pomegranate, grated cucumber , grated carrot etc.

Then finally add thick fresh curd and mix well.

Please dont put your hands in the curd rice.

Now pack this in a Plastic container.

Because of the butter the curd rice will be very very soft and smooth :) and it will melt in our mouths in the afternoon :)

Note: If you want to make the curd rice more tasty, fry udadh dal and powder it in a mixer grinder and add 2 table spoons of udath dal powder in the curd rice. It will give a good flavor to the curd rice. But it will change the colour of curd rice :)

Please try and give me a feedback :)

1 person likes this.
  9. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Veni,

Have you not seen my reply? :(

10. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

krishnamma using butter in curd rice, iknow that .my MIL puts all that maanga inji etc.but uruddhal powder i wll try and let you know