Ready to eat Indian veg food at home

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by arch3131, Mar 4, 2014.

1. arch3131

arch3131 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I need few recipes to make 'Ready to eat' veg food at home.
    My husband is travelling to china. During his last visit, he had very less option for Indian veg food and ended up screwing his health. So for his next visit i would like to prepare ready made food which would require minimum cooking in microwave or jus adding hot water.
    Pls share recipes for the same.

regards,
    AS.

2. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Hello ,
    here the few tips .i heard from my dil's father.yes he is a frequent traveller to Asian countries like china ,Japan,
    hesaid he used to order for plain boiled rice and boiled veggies.
    paruppu podi ,coconut podi.
    another ready mix poder is knottu powder.its nothing but our dosa mulaghai podi with fried coconut .
    sprinkle the powder on veggie,add hot water.microwave.thats how he managed it .butter will be available I hope.chilly sesame oil is also available.its nothing but gigngly oil with chilly.

an adjustment than starving.thats all.
    poorni

3. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Grand sweets has vatha kozhambu mix, moor kozhambu mix, all thokkus (pickles), powders. These are helpful. Papad, potato curry, all sundals can be made using microwave. If he is taking rice cooker, can make more stuffs incld maggi , rice (arusi) upma, pongal.

4. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Arch,

If he can spend little time in shopping.. ask him to buy cut veggies.. You can give the idli podi from here. He just have to boil the veggies, add salt and the podi. Your poriyal will be ready..

As getstrngth, suggested buy the vathakuzhambu and all mixes and give it to him.

Also dry roast the urad dhal and powder it. Give him rice flour and the urad dhal flour. To prepare dosa, add four parts of rice flour and one part of this urad dhal flour. Your dosa batter will be ready.

You can also give him ragi flour, bajra flour, jowar flour, etc. for any of the dosas, he has to add the flour to the urad dhal flour/water and the batter will be ready..

5. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

You can make pulimix MTR brand is very good. Send few MTR brands with him. IT will help a lot. Also u can make is a fried cocunut powder, fried mong dhal can be grinded with jeera and asafotedia and eaten with rice.

Also u can send roasted oats so that we can just add direct milk. Send fried dried fruits it will help a lot...

6. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Best option is asking to him to learn how to cook.. simple dishes like dals, fries etc.. Chinks do eat veggies.. One self cooked dish with powders, pickle and curd.. that will suffice..

Other option is buying ready to eat food from MTR.. they have dal makhani, palak paneer, paneer dishes etc...

7. arch3131

arch3131 New IL'ite

Thank u all for the suggestions.

I've got few ready made stuff from MTR. Also he tries to avoid Grand sweet mix, due to high oil content. [Also these are sometimes removed by security in airport ;-( ]

The place my hubby stays is in a v.remove location and the hotel rooms do not have microwave. Max i can expect is a small [1 ltr] electric kettle. So dosa options ruled out ;-). This makes it difficult for my expert cook.

Pls share some recipes of ready made home food [like upma, rice mix etc.] which will be ready with jus hot water :-(( [i really pity my hubby].

Thanks,
    AS

8. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

You can make Pulihora mix with Tamarind/Mango and give him. He can just cook plain rice and mix it.

Prepare some Podi's like curry leaf powder, Garlic Powder etc which he can just mix with plain rice and have. Both healthy and easy.

1 person likes this.
  9. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Hello,
    if kettle can be used means 5 amps or 15 amps plug point will be provided. thank god.

What abt induction stove. U can make every thing now. Ordinary heavy flat bottomed vessels works wonderful now with induction.

Small rice cooker can also come in handy.

grandsweets puliodhary is oily I accept .but u can do vacuum packing .
    again pack and seal in a plastic container.my niece took like that only to Korea

my son took 3 bottles to Swiss. In that way. The oil they used for veggies.yah he himself is good imaginative cook.
    donot worry.

good solution,food problem solved I hope.

sai ram
    Poorni

1 person likes this.
  10. banujaga

banujaga Gold IL'ite

Hi,

You can make:
    1. Pongal mix
    2. Pulau mix
    3. Ghee rice mix
    4. Upma (same can be used for making Rava Idli too)
    5. Puliyodarai mix (Tamarind rice)
    6. Instant Sambar Powder
    7. Instant Rasam Powder

All these, he can just add little oil for seasoning, put this mixture and pressure cook it for 2 whistles or so depending on the rice quality. As a side dish, he can some curd as raitha or any pickle

All these, I learnt from Chitra Ma'am. I had put them in an excel sheet. I am unable to attach the file.

Tip: Prepare it in Ghee so that it can stay for a week to 10 days.

Since I am a working woman, I do this once in 15 days and stock them in fridge so that I can attend unannounced guests, more office work and no time for cooking, etc.

Banu

1 person likes this.