Family party - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by CrayoNess, Jan 29, 2014.

1. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I will be visiting the Mumbai area in February with my sister and my youngest son. I have invited my colleagues with their families for an informal gathering on sat afternoon.

Now the big dilemma. The apartment is fine but there is no oven in the kitchen. cannot therefor prepare any cakes or bread. Some of my colleagues have travelled and familiar with western food but most have not. I will not cook any indian food as that would be a disaster. And I would need to prepare the food in advance which is hard without an oven.

I can of course go the easy route with ordering pizza. Or maybe trying with drinks, some salsa and tortilla chips.

Last time I made chili sin/con carne but that was a disaster. Only one of the guests (who had been travelling) even tried that.

2. Ishika84

Ishika84 Silver IL'ite

Better if you order food from outside ..
    try some Chinese food or South Indian food like dosa...partha with curry..
    cake u can order from outside..

3. CrayoNess

It is hard to order from outside as I do not have an indian phone number and do not speak hindi/marathi.

4. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Mumbai is a delight for foodies.I have heard that at anytime,anywhere you can get great food ,especially snacks! If you post in the Mumbai sub-forum stating the area where you would be staying for suggestions,I'm sure someone would help you with the good eateries/take-aways in that area.Since it's an afternoon do,snacks would be ideal.And I'm sure you would be able to manage with english while placing an order.

5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Order from some big restaurant...now a days all big restaurants recruit managers who can speak english. There are lot of people in Mumbai Pune who do not know hindi and Marathi but still live happily without language issue

1 person likes this.
  6. twink

twink Silver IL'ite

you can place online order

1 person likes this.
  7. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

You said you would be visiting Mumbai.... and you say that you will be hosting in an apt there... ... and there is no oven ... so you cant cook... thinkingsmiley ..

also you say that you seem to have difficulties ordering food out there coz of language.... :confused2:

Have you visited Mumbai ever before...? just as fyi... the Menu of even a smallest restaurant is in English... and ordering or asking food order in english is no biggie.... unless you have developed some accent. :coffee

5 people like this.
  8. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

You can simply write the food items and their quantity on a piece of paper and hand it to any local shopkeeper in your area..They will be able to handle everything from there on..You just pay them. Not just Mumbai i beleive any part of india if you know english you can manage to get your basic things done.
    Cake can be simply picked up from a local bakery like others suggested .English is not a major challenge for local shopkeepers anymore ..Hope you are able to enjoy your family gathering and everyone relishes the food.

Have fun :)

9. CrayoNess

I have visited Mumbai several times and I have stayed in the same apartment before so I know how the kitchen is.

Yes, menus are most often also in english but the challenge is that if I call they usually do not speak english and they require an indian telephone number. Tried that :p.

I guess it is some cultural thing. Kind of considered tacky to offer ordered food. And oven is very convenient when making food for a crowd.

Hmmm, I guess it will be pizza then. I may ask someone from the office to order it for me.

10. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Are you going to order form India or from where you are currently living now. Why you need a Indian phone number.