Recipes using Milkmaid

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by tashidelek2002, Feb 17, 2013.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I just got a cookbook of recipes from the Eagle Brand Condensed Milk company and upon reading them I thought a number of them would be achievable with Indian ingredients and many are vegetarian. Now sweetened condensed milk is marketed in India as Milkmaid and I think that the can size is pretty close. Eagle Brand has a website with their recipes:

Eagle Brand® | Home | Recipes

There are a number of ingredients that might be confusing to the Indian reader: please post your question on this thread and I will give you what to do or what it is. Examples: the coconut sold in USA that they call for in these recipes is a sweeetened coconut so you will have to use a fine grated one and add a little extra sugar. Coconut cream would be a very thick coconut milk.

Some recipes call for instant pudding. You can mix this up and keep in the kitchen and not worry about the box mix they sell in USA. Also, you have to use cornstarch which is a white powder and NOT the yellow corn flour that is also available in India. I found a good recipe for the instant pudding here. Disregard the part about the vanilla bean and just use whatever flavor essence you like.

DIY (Homemade) Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix | Brown Eyed Baker

Please read the part where she explains how to make pudding. The closest you have in India is that custard powder but this pudding will be quite thick. It is a great item to make for kids, can be flavored as you like, you can put fruit or cookie pieces or even blobs of peanut butter in it to change it out. Some cocoa powder or some coffee powder....possibilities are endless. Cheap, easy, tasty, quick to fix and vegetarian.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Good thread. Did you try any recipes?

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I am sure I have made some of the cookies years ago but I have full confidence all recipes will be good. Very trustworthy company.