Any tricks to remove skins from whole urad dal?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Marisa, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

We can only get either split skinned urad dal or whole urad dal with the black skin nearby, and it's been almost impossible to peel, even after prolonged soaking. I'm feeling quite disillusioned at the prospect of having to deal with it again, especially after my MIL herself said they were unusually tough skins and told me to go ahead and leave a few unpeeled because it was just not worth the time it took. We have a big bag of it and I don't want to be wasteful. But I also don't want black skins in my vadas. Is there anything I can try short of rubbing them for hours to no end? Last time I ended up peeling them one by one, but I am not sure it was worth it.

2. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Hi Marisa,
    We can easily remove the skin of urad dal.
    In my family we regularly use that skinned urad dal only.

Soak it for long hrs like 5 to 8hrs.
    6 hrs is enough.
    wash them no of times like we wash rice.
    Mix them with hands & just rub them while mixing
    same as rice washing.
    do it no of times, then it will go
    u can find just 5, 6 black skins.
    That u can remove by hand.

Hope this helps u
    If u have any doubts, let me know
    Suneeta

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear marisa,
    i know what it is to have a black vada, but for vada if you soak in hot water it will peel off, but other wise this skin is very good for health, and u can use it for dosa and adai along with the skin and the taste is something to be eaten to know about, u can also make the dhall makhani, it tastes very well with the skin, which is cooked with kidney beans, or rajma, so try to use it, nature's way of producing things to help you remain healthy....sunkan

1 person likes this.
  4. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

Thanks Suneeta! That's exactly what I've been doing, though, and I thought I was just lazy and that everyone skinned their dal for hours, until my MIL came and she said it was unusually hard. That day all three of us (MIL, hubby and me) took turns rubbing the soaked dal and it still took a very, very long time. I still have that very same bag of dal so I know it'll be tough.

Thanks Sunkan! I'm going to try hotter water, then, and see if that works. I really like the idea of making dishes with the skin, though!, thanks!

5. sanjaimom

sanjaimom New IL'ite

I have a big bag of black urad dal about 40 kg. Do u know any place in chennai where the skin can be removed?