idli making

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by dimple7, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

hallo friends......i am from north-east india.....but south indian dishes are my favourite.
    I have been trying to make good idli at home in the idli maker that i bought from bangalore....but fail ....as it doesnot grow well and remains like semi-solid on the top of the idli.....even after keeping it for 1-2hrs in steam
    i use the mix from MTR Rice Idli powder........and put into the steam chamber/idli maker.....after mixing water and following the instructions given in the backside of the packet.

please help......whats wrong going on here...?

2. adrija

adrija Silver IL'ite

Dimple,
    Iam not sure about MTR idli powder,but sometimes happens that we need to change measurements a little bit. Why don't you try with little less water then given on pack & soak idli powder for a while before steaming.may be this will work for you.One more best option is soak urad dal & idli Rawa separately for 4-5 hrs in the ratio of 1:3.grind urad dal & mix it with Rawa and keep for fermentation overnight.next day add little salt ,soda & steam in idli trays.you get soft idli's.

1 person likes this.
  3. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Dimple,
    Am not sure if you would get Udayam idli mix...it gives good results..

1 person likes this.
  4. Simplicity11

Simplicity11 Silver IL'ite

Do you mean you steam the idlis for 1-2 hours??? Something's not right. In my opinion they should be steamed for 15-18 mins.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sanchita22

Sanchita22 Silver IL'ite

Don't worry, no one is perfect and cooking is an on going process, as for the idlies I follow the following method.
    Wash and soak urad dal and parboiled rice in the ratio 1:2 along with it add half teaspoon of methi seeds. Methi seeds helps in fermentation. After 5-6 hours grind them with the water it was soaked in. Add a pinch of soda and salt according to taste. Keep it in a warm place for fermentation for about10-12 hrs. After that add one teaspoon of oil and mix it. Be careful not to overmix or else the bubbles will be gone. Now grease the idli plate and add the batter in each of them upto 3/4th capacity. Add some water in the pan and keep the idly tray in it. Cover it and in a medium heat cook it for 15 minutes. Remove the plate and keep for about 5-10 more minutes in the open. Now remove the idly from the plate and serve.

1 person likes this.
  6. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

Hey thanks alot :) i will surely try....and share the results here....but what is rawa?

7. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

thanks dear... :) for your post

8. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

yes dear it was about steaming

9. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

hey is 'Udayam' a brand?

10. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister,

Hope you are exploring, "Rawa" is Sooji... Many of them have given their methods, try them dont go for the mix, you will get good soft idli...

1 person likes this.