Home made chilli powder and coriander powder.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kishoremommy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

We always grind Chilly powder and coriander powder at home.

Our usual procedure :

Round chillies - 1/2 Kg.

Long red chillies - 1/2 Kg

After drying in the sun ,we grind them in a mill.

Coriander powder:

1 Kg of coriander seeds along with two fistfuls raw rice.

Recently,one of our relatives suggested that we add a fistful of Khus-khus,a fistful sombhu (fennel seeds) along with a fistful rice in coriander seeds .This increases the taste and thickness.

And ,she suggested that we add a spoon of castor oil in ground chilli powder and mix well .This retains the colour of the chilli powder and the powder will remain fresh for months.

1.What is the method you follow while grinding chilli powder and coriander powder?

2.I have heard that turmeric powder bought in packets contain food colours.Can we grind them at home?What type of turmeric should we buy?

3.Turmeric usually gets spoiled soon.What should we do to prevent turmeric powder ?

Please ,share the recipes.

4 people like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kishoremommy,

I make turmeric, coriander and chilli powders at home along with sambar powder..

chilli powder i use the long,and bedugu one combo..this gives me color and heat as required by my family....with the dust and squirrel problems, i don't dry in the sun..

dhania, i roast and get it milled..

turmeric i buy the viraali manjal.. crush it with a pestle..and give it to the mill. he charges extra for chillies and turmeric.but it is fine with me.

for all these i roast it in the oven. then cool it.

after bringing from the mill, i allow it to cool completely. then i always ensure i take small portions for regular use..never use it directly from the container..

this way it is long life.. i have not used any additions in dhania or chilli and it comes for 6 months without any issues.. even sambar powder the same.. infact my husband uses this for an year..nothing happens..we don't keep it in the freezer too..

P.S. i have seen some adding cloves and bay leaf along with khus-khus and sombu..but we don't use any of these..it is a once is 2 months affair..so never added these to my powders..

6 people like this.
  3. kishoremommy

Thanks for the useful reply,Shanvy.

How many months does the turmeric powder last?

4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Shanvy and others,

can we make small quantities of chilli powder at home using mixie? the store bought powder is totally tasteless.

5. shellysethi

shellysethi Silver IL'ite

Hi kishoremommy,shanvy,

me too grind red chilli powder,dhaniya powder,turmeric, jeera , garam masala and sambar powder at home.

the readymade ones are just not good ... without actual flavours.

just dry roasting or drying in the sun makes grinding faster,adding aroma and increasing it's shelf life too.

yes you can keep it for a year also without keeping it in the fridge.

yes hridhya,you can grind small quantities also at home.while grinding red chilli powder add a little [few drops]

of mustard oil in the mixie to increase it's redness.

2 people like this.
  6. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

thank you shelly

7. kishoremommy

shelly,

Based on my experience,drying in the sun and grinding is the best.

Once you roast the spices,even slightly,the aromo would be good.But,after some days,it slowly looses its aroma.

If you don't have the space for sun drying,only then go for roasting.

What about mixing castor oil with ground chilly powder?

8. shellysethi

shellysethi Silver IL'ite

Hi kishoremommy,

It's fine which ever way you prefer. But sometimes during rainy days, I prefer dry roasting in the microwave or

in the karahi.

regarding loss of aroma... I think you have to keep this in an airtight jar...and keep a small portion for regular

use seperately ...I keep it this way...It stays fresh for very long time...[I mean a year's quota]

Every time I grind for my SIL also and she keeps it in the fridge for the whole year

I have no idea of using castor oil....I myself put a teaspoonful of mustard oil while grinding red chillies.

[sometimes even a little more depending on the quantity of chillies]

1 person likes this.
  9. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

kishoremommy,

Do you have the proportions for sambar powder, grinding it in machine?

10. kishoremommy

Thanks for your reply.

As an experiment,I added a spoon of castor oil in 1 Kg Chilly powder-sun dried and ground.Mixed well with hands(of course using gloves.).Thanks to Chitvish.

The colour has improved well and the hotness is less too.

I should wait for a month to see whether the colour remains the same.Generally,castor oil is supposed to be an insect repellent.I have seen farmers in Erode district,grow castor oil plants among turmeric plants.This helps in repelling insects away from turmeric plants.Erode is very popular for turmeric.

What is the benefit of adding mustard oil?

1 person likes this.