Pirandai (Bone setter) Thokku

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by satchitananda, Apr 14, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Editor's Note - Congratulations Satchitananda, this contribution has been selected as best of forums and featured here. Please share it with your friends.
    ---

[JUSTIFY]I had mentioned a plant known as bone setter or "pirindai" in Tamil in a thread in the gardening section. Here I shall be giving recipes for its use.
    [/JUSTIFY]
    [​IMG]

[JUSTIFY]Pirindai can be used in many different ways e.g. it can be ground with the batter for adai (a South Indian dish made of fermented batter of rice, tur dal and whole black udad dal which is then made just like dosas).

It can be ground with spinach when making keerai molagutal or keerai mashyal (spinach mash). It can also be used when making pappads, chutney or thokku.

I shall share my recipe for thokku here, which I made with a mish mash (quite literally :)) of pirindai, corriander, pudina (mint), karavapillai (curry leaves) and kalpuravalli leaves (ajwain leaves).

Ingredients:
    [/JUSTIFY]
    Pirindai (I used about 100 gms of it)
    Corriander - 2 large bunches
    Pudina (Mint) - 1 small bunch
    Kalpuravalli (ajwain / bishop's weed leaves) - 6 to 8
    Red chillies - 6-8 (add to taste)
    Tamarind - a ball the size of a medium sized lemon
    Ginger - 1 inch
    Methi (fenugreek) seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
    Asafoetide (hing) 1/2 teaspoon
    Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
    Salt - to taste
    Oil - 2 tablespoons

Procedure:

[JUSTIFY]Wash the pirindai well and break it into bits at each node. Wash the corriander, the pudina, curry leaves and ajwain leaves well, remove the thick stalks while keeping the tender ones intact. Roast the methi seeds and red chillies in 1 teaspoon of oil till they are browned. Let this cool. Then grind with asafoetida and salt in your dry grinder to a coarse consistency.

Heat one tablespoon of oil and add the pirindai, corriander, pudina and ajwain along with the tamarind. Roast till the leaves wilt. Cool this.

Add this mixture to the coarsely ground paste along with the ginger and grind in the blender. It should not be too finely ground.

Now heat the remaining oil, add mustard seeds, allow them to pop and then add the ground paste to it. Saute it for 5-6 minutes on a dry flame and allow it turn a dark green.

This can be preserved in a bottle in a refrigerator for quite long. You can even keep some amount for immediate use in the refrigerator and store the rest in the freezer section till required. This can then be thawed and used later.

This can be eaten with chappatis, dosas, to mix with rice or as a chutney for sandwiches.[/JUSTIFY]

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister,

Reminded of childhood days, but wonder whether we get them in market these days...

:thankyou2: for sharing

1 person likes this.
  3. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Seems to be nice recipe madam.. let me tell my mom to try this out..

1 person likes this.
  4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    Remainded my Childhood days. My Mum used to make this pirindai chutney. It was nice!.
    Do we still get pirindai in the market???share the info please.
    Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Thanks so much Saisakthi, Deepu and Suryakala. I don't know whether this is available in the market or not, though I have never seen it here. I just got a cutting from a relative and planted it in my garden.

6. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

I like this recipe..
    probably that goes well with some idli and dosa 's too.. awesome!!

7. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the information about pirandai and also the recipe......will try it............but i should get a cutting of the plant and grow it too in my garden.
    Take care

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

You can take a cutting from me next time you are here and drop in. :)