A very funny doubt!!!! Please help....

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by mickeymini, Apr 1, 2012.

1. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi Please dont think bad about me....Its not a joke but i really have this doubt. Can anyone tell me how to prepare good tea.I know its a really simple thing but i always have a doubt as to how much tea powder should we put??? I sometimes feel im wasting a lot a tea powder when i do it....Generally how many spoons do you put for two cups of tea?? And do you have some measurement for the water as well???? I would generally prefer strong tea (with milk).Can any of you clear this doubt????

2. ramyasuresh

ramyasuresh Silver IL'ite

i think 2 tablespoon sugar with 2 teaspoons of tea powder. for two cups 1 and half cup milk n half cup water

3 people like this.
  3. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

I always prepare tea exactly like the above poster.If you like to add any flavor, then, add little dry ginger powder and cardamom powder to it.

1 person likes this.
  4. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

hi mickey ,
    you've voiced my doubts...:) , my tea was never consistent...
    can anyone answer this?
    how much time do you leave the tea to boil (i mean after adding the tea dust)...
    and the heat in low ,medium or high?

5. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

The way I prepare tea is I used to add 1cup of water in a vessel and add 2teaspoons of tea powder, little cardamom, little ginger piece crushed and 2to 3 teaspoon of sugar and allow this mixture to boil well in medium flame. Now I will add 1cup of milk and allow this to boil in low flame.
    This way it's usually good for me.

6. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Add a cup of water and when it starts boiling add tea powder and let it boil on medium high flame and let it reduce as much as you can and then add milk and sugar and spices, when the milk starts to rise, switch off the stove.Because it is said that the properties of milk is destroyed when boiled too much but I am not sure if it is true or not.
    The taste of the tea will be good only when the Dicotion is much concentrated .That is the reason I am asking you to boil and let the water evaporate as much as possible without burning the vessel.

1 person likes this.
  7. rajju

rajju Senior IL'ite

add 1 clove, elaichi powder and ginger powder for masala tea

8. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

thanks for replying.
    luv u guys........

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

mickeymini,

there are two ways of making the indian style tea.
    and if you like it a little stronger, go slow on the milk or creamer.
    I stock dust and leaf. i feel the leaf gives more flavour and the dust gives color..though i also know that it depends on the produce.

1 cup water
    1/3 milk.
    1 tsp of tea dust/ 2 tsp of leaves..
    sugar to taste.

my way the first method: boil both milk and water to gether. when it is boiling well, add the tea allow it to start the boiling again. switch off and let it steep. strain and add sugar to taste.

second method : boil water, add the leaves..allow it to simmer on low heat for another minute or two or you can allow it to steep after switching of the stove and covering the vessel for a minute or two. then add the milk as per taste..and sugar.

(in between if i want i add freshly crushed ginger for ginger tea. a few crushed basil and a zest of lemon for flavor, or crushed cardomom for elaichi tea. even mint makes a great flavor if you are drinking it black.)

whether it is black or green the steep and the heat in the water produces the flavour.

if using tea bags, never add it straight to the milk combo. steep the bag in boiling hot water for black tea..and then add milk. if it is green add to a few degrees less than boiling hot water.

I make iced tea as per the second method with lemon zest and a little ginger /mint and ginger added.

3 people like this.
  10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have fiddled around with a number of methods and have been using this for a long time now. Tea is strong enough and consistent. I feel to get full flavor out of the tea the water needs to be really boiling when you put in the tea (I use Yellow Label or sometimes Lipton Masala bags)

Boil filtered water (i just use the Pur filter on the kitchen tap) in an automatic kettle (this is just to save time)
    Heat you pan and put in two cups of the boiling water and make sure it is boiling in the pan (I use a Visions glass pan which I find makes really good tea)
    Add 3 level teaspons of sugar
    Add 1-2 teaspoons of tea (or one masala tea bag)
    Boil until it is brown
    Add 1 cup milk (I use 2%) and bring to a boil again and boil it for short amount of time (I don't like the raw milk taste)
    Strain

Shanvy: to add to you info:
    Steeping black tea (as opposed to boiling) should be 100C whereas green tea should be 80C.

1 person likes this.